Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coachella 2013

Options
  • 27-01-2013 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

So anyone going to Coachella this year? Really tempted..I think the lineup is pretty good, bit expensive but def worth it as it seems like one happenin' festival :D

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

be prepared for intense heat. This festival is not made for the general irish festival goer.

Do alot of research before committing to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Think the line up is actually pretty weak compared to previous years, still looks great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Think the line up is actually pretty weak compared to previous years, still looks great though.

?? Seriously? About 7-8 acts on my bucket list.

Getting my ticket tomorrow fingers crossed.

As to the heat, well it ain't electric picnic...here are my pics from last year.

mq9VrBj.jpg

It was about 107F most of the day, 127F was in my tent and its a nice soulpad cotton bell tent not a nylon hellhole. Max temp there is 147F in the cab of my pickup truck.

I left a coke can in the sun on the tailgate and this happened kaa-blaaam style:

4urDqmRl.jpg

Trust me on the sunscreen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Way to much rap on the line-up the last 2 years, seems to have gone back to its indie roots (a bit) this year.

Irish band Little Green Cars are on the bill,
    Nice step up from the pub I saw them in last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yeah, I would not recommend Coachella unless you were going to be in the area anyway. It's so far inferior to European festivals it's mad. The heat is worse than Benicassim too, and they have bands on during the day, brainless. It always has amazing lineups, but besides the music it's terrible in many ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I've a fair complexion and I wouldn't survive Coachella, I'd melt LOl. Anyways, I don't think that line-up is anything special TBH.

Yeah, I would not recommend Coachella unless you were going to be in the area anyway. It's so far inferior to European festivals it's mad. The heat is worse than Benicassim too, and they have bands on during the day, brainless. It always has amazing lineups, but besides the music it's terrible in many ways.

Terrible how? Have you been? Most bands do not start until 4-5pm. Coachella doesn't have the atmosphere of a European festival, but the lineups are killer.

Violent Femmes, Nick Cave, Stone Roses, Vampire Weekend, Wu-tang Clan, Dead Can Dance, Moby, The XX, Dinosaur Jr.

As to the heat, it's Palm Springs, what do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RICHIE26188

I went last year, strange festivial. Designated drinking areas to which for a festival is laughable. However the plus points far outweight the bad

I combined it with a trip to vegas though, it was 10 days ill never forget.

MadsL wrote: »
    Terrible how? Have you been? Most bands do not start until 4-5pm. Coachella doesn't have the atmosphere of a European festival, but the lineups are killer.

Violent Femmes, Nick Cave, Stone Roses, Vampire Weekend, Wu-tang Clan, Dead Can Dance, Moby, The XX, Dinosaur Jr.

As to the heat, it's Palm Springs, what do you expect?

You pretty much said what I did. It's boiling hot, and it has killer lineups.

Yes I have been there. I found the atmosphere non existant. The rules and regulations were all ridiculous and anti fun. Like the previous poster mentioned, designated drinking areas, at an adult music festival, that's game over time for me.

But yes if you just go to enjoy the music and the music alone, you will enjoy it. Or if you go with a large group where the rest of the festival crowd aren't so important. We had a very good time besides all the hassle, but it was definitely the least enjoyable festival I've been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I went last year, strange festivial. Designated drinking areas to which for a festival is laughable. However the plus points far outweight the bad

I heard that alright, seems crazy and a bit of a buzz kill tbh.

Have only ever been to Lollapolooza myself outside of europe but would recommend it in a heartbeat. Great weather, great atmosphere, loads to see and do besides bands and its based right in the middle of a gigantic city.

Only festival I've been to in Europe is Download and while it's lineup definitely appeals more to my tastes, I'd still go to Lolla over it, its just a brilliantly run festival, shame flights to the states are so pricey!

• Advertisement

grimm2005 wrote: »
    I heard that alright, seems crazy and a bit of a buzz kill tbh.

Have only ever been to Lollapolooza myself outside of europe but would recommend it in a heartbeat.

We met loads of East US americans at Coachella who said Lollapolooza was infinitely better. They were as shocked as us at Coachella's flaws.

Designated drinking areas, at an adult music festival, that's game over time for me.

Coachella don't set the local licensing laws, and it is not the only festival that has drinking areas. At one (Taos, NM) I had my 15 year old daughter with me and she could not enter, nor could I leave with a pint, we sat facing each other through the fence! :D

The fact is the drinking age is 21, so Coachella isn't strictly an "adult" music festival as it is an over 18 festival. Under 21s are not allowed into any bars in CA and the bartender can face jail for serving underage. The drinking areas are to protect the bartenders.

Tickets on sale in exactly 2 hours by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Is there a Coachella thread lads?.......

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ok i tidied up that mess. Keep it about the festival, if you want to discuss how old girls are, please do it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

weekend 1 tickets gone...only weekend 2 tickets available according to twitter

weekend 1 tickets gone...only weekend 2 tickets available according to twitter

Weekend 1 plus shuttle only still available. trying now to sort out my ****up - turned out Chrome wasn't supported :rolleyes: Switched to IE - got tix - timed out at checkout. went back in, saw the Car camping wasn't available (it was, but takes 2 clicks to select :rolleyes:) and panicked and grabbed a GA. Stupidly, although a GA lets you into the camping areas it is not a camping pass. Now on hold to FrontGate.

Usual FrontGate Cluster**** panic buying meltdown :D

...and fixed!! Whoo! hoo! Who needs a spot to camp in?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭totallytrees

Myself and my boyfriend are heading over for Weekend 2, looking forward to it! Have a camper rented, staying at a nearby RV park so air conditioning will be our friend :D

Myself and my boyfriend are heading over for Weekend 2, looking forward to it! Have a camper rented, staying at a nearby RV park so air conditioning will be our friend :D

If you need a friendly campsite inside, drop by for cocktails. PM me your cocktail* preferences!

*may not have Buckfast in stock

Many people going over to this? I went over for Bonnaroo Festival in Tennessee in June '08, it's up there with one of the best experiences of my life. The heat is intense but if you're liberal with the sunscreen, water-up and make use of whatever shade is going you will survive. I was in an RV, cannot imagine waking up in the morning heat in a tent so fair play to those who do it.

I would love to return for another Bonnaroo but maybe should broaden the horizons a bit and consider Coachella or Lollapalooza. Thing is I know what Bonnaroo is like and it is completely my sort of vibe. This year's line-up is out in a few hours and I might have a choice to make between it and Coachella.

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »
    Many people going over to this? I went over for Bonnaroo Festival in Tennessee in June '08, it's up there with one of the best experiences of my life. The heat is intense but if you're liberal with the sunscreen, water-up and make use of whatever shade is going you will survive. I was in an RV, cannot imagine waking up in the morning heat in a tent so fair play to those who do it.

I would love to return for another Bonnaroo but maybe should broaden the horizons a bit and consider Coachella or Lollapalooza. Thing is I know what Bonnaroo is like and it is completely my sort of vibe. This year's line-up is out in a few hours and I might have a choice to make between it and Coachella.

Not much of a choice - Coachella is sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭totallytrees

If you need a friendly campsite inside, drop by for cocktails. PM me your cocktail* preferences!

*may not have Buckfast in stock

Can you go into the campsite areas if you're not camping on site? If you can then cool :D We can bring the bucky from home :D

Can you go into the campsite areas if you're not camping on site? If you can then cool :D We can bring the bucky from home :D

Yes you can, wristbands give access to camping, so show up before the queues for off-siters to get in get busy and have a drink or six in the campsite. You cannot bring booze in as an offsite shuttle officially, not sure how strict the checks are when you arrive off the shuttle.

Where are you parking the RV? Did you get a shuttle pass yet?

Anyway PM sent with contact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Streaming again this year.

http://www.youtube.com/user/coachella

Streaming again this year.

http://www.youtube.com/user/coachella

Yeah, the time difference is a killer though! pity It's not on the east-coast.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Yeah, the time difference is a killer though! pity It's not on the east-coast.

Then I'd get no tan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Then I'd get no tan :)

You must be absolutely scorched :P

You have no idea how jealous I am.

anybody watching the stream? is it working smooth for ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Workin grand for me alright.

• Advertisement

Workin grand for me alright.

Yeah, I disabled me antivirus and ad-blocker. Seems to be working fairly smooth in 720P for me now.

Advertisement