Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks tomorrow :o

Options
  • 27-01-2013 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm so stressed I have both English papers tomorrow and I'm so stressed for the next two weeks of exams!
    Any advice?
    When did you all start studying for the Junior Cert and how did you do??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pong123

don't freak yourself out it's literally the worst thing you can do even if it's impossible you'll get a good grade just keep telling yourself you'll be fine as it helps in the exam a lot more
    my 2 brothers and 1 sister started studying for their junior cert after the mocks and all got A's B's and C's if you start studying now you're grand :)
    i'm doing my mocks aswell, what came up on <snip - please read the charter>

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If I may offer the POV of a teacher who thinks mock exams are a bit silly...

Try not to stress. They're mock exams. They are mock marked. They give mock results. In 'my day' a lot of schools didn't bother with them. Mine did, but I opted not to take part. Imho, most schools do now, mainly as a result of parent's (understandable) anxiety, and because they're seen as the norm. I offer regular feedback and guidance to students throughout the year, which I feel is a lot more healthy and helpful.

Your focus is the summer exam. This is the event you've been 'training' for. I'd advise you to look up the word 'mock' in the dictionary of your choice, OP, and apply the definition you like most.

Best of luck. I hope you're happy with your results, mock or otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Another teacher's view. 'In my day' we didn't see any exam papers until we went in to the real exam in June.

You could not have all the courses in all subjects covered at this stage in the year, so don't worry. Certainly don't start stressing yourself.
    You will do better than you think in the real thing.

Keep important things in mind, like x days to the midterm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

spurious wrote: »
    Another teacher's view. 'In my day' we didn't see any exam papers until we went in to the real exam in June.

You could not have all the courses in all subjects covered at this stage in the year, so don't worry. Certainly don't start stressing yourself.
    You will do better than you think in the real thing.

Keep important things in mind, like x days to the midterm. :)
    I must admit, I'm quite looking forward to the midterm meself...

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cometz

Pong123 wrote: »
    don't freak yourself out it's literally the worst thing you can do even if it's impossible you'll get a good grade just keep telling yourself you'll be fine as it helps in the exam a lot more
    my 2 brothers and 1 sister started studying for their junior cert after the mocks and all got A's B's and C's if you start studying now you're grand :)
    i'm doing my mocks aswell, what came up on <snip - please read the charter>

Hey thanks for the advice but it wouldn't matter to you what came up on mine because my school made ours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Pong123

Cometz wrote: »
    Hey thanks for the advice but it wouldn't matter to you what came up on mine because my school made ours!

oh right ok haha thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Has any one done Maths paper 1 HL yet? Is it really hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Uqw9hOq7

My mocks started this week and I realised how much I procrastinate.

Two months ago I said I would start studying. Only started 3 hours before the exam. I'll do fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭juniorcert

MJ434 wrote: »
    Has any one done Maths paper 1 HL yet? Is it really hard?

You might have a different paper to me, but I did the paper 1 today and was impossible! I almost cried to be honest, I'll be happy if I pass. And I usually get A's or B's...... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

juniorcert wrote: »

You might have a different paper to me, but I did the paper 1 today and was impossible! I almost cried to be honest, I'll be happy if I pass. And I usually get A's or B's...... :(

^^ Exactly what happened to me. I couldn't tell whether I didn't know anything or if it was too difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's often the case that the mocks are too difficult. They don't go through the drafting and setting and checking processes that the SEC use, so it's easy for errors to slip in. Sometimes things get asked that could never be asked on the real exam.
    Don't stress yourself about the mocks, you'll do much better in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

spurious wrote: »
    It's often the case that the mocks are too difficult. They don't go through the drafting and setting and checking processes that the SEC use, so it's easy for errors to slip in. Sometimes things get asked that could never be asked on the real exam.
    Don't stress yourself about the mocks, you'll do much better in June.
    Marking schemes are also more stringent, less accept other answers etc.

Source: we corrected one of our teacher's mocks for Jaffa cakes.

DEB Marker Payment - Lidl Jaffa cakes = Sizable profit.

The Jaffa cakes were nice though... :roll eyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭juniorcert

tr0llface wrote: »
    ^^ Exactly what happened to me. I couldn't tell whether I didn't know anything or if it was too difficult.

I was wondering if it was me too, because my friend kept going on about how easy it was and that made me kinda panic, lol :P But she often says that and then fails :L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Hey , I say the jc last year and give you my pov . I studied 3 subjects each for 45 minutes a night and then I tried to get a chapter in each subject done over the weekend . Too much study is bad for you do take frequent breaks . I find having a glass of water and maybe some fresh air also helps .

The mocks are only a trial run and IMO are there for you to make mistakes in them and not in the real thing. General opinion is that if you put an honest effort into pres , you should go up a grade in the real thing . I didn't get a lot of As in my pres but I went on to get 7As and 4bs in the real thing . You can't possibly have all the course work done yet .

Also my pres were badly corrected . They are not corrected at the same level as the jc . It is mainly college students and teachers looking for extra money that correct them , the marking schemes can be poor and I found that questions came up that would never come up in the real thing .

Don't frett just set obtainable goals and work towards them . You'll be grand

Advertisement