Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Route - France/Germany/Switzerland/Italy

Options
  • 27-01-2013 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    We're trying to plan this summers trip, and would appreciate opinions on places to go & any general advice for motorhoming in 'non-french' countries. We've camped/motorhomed extensively in France so we're fairly familiar there - its Germany/Switzerland/Italy that we're not too sure what to expect

Thinking of going across northern France (from Cherbourg), entering Germany near Stuttgart, staying around southern Germany for a bit, then moving south via lake constance to explore Switzerand, northern Italy, then back into France around Grenoble/Annecy. We have 7 weeks.

Any recommendations on good spots & routes to take?
    We used the French Aires a fair bit last year, are they the same/as numerous in other countries (I'm assuming not). Any good ones on lake constance?, plan to spend some time there.
    Any other general tips for motorhoming in Germany/Switzerland/Italy?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hollyann

Did the Mozel River back in Sept. 2010. Did the Italian Lakes in May of last year. If these are the locations you are looking for the information on, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭WildWater

kelbal wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    We're trying to plan this summers trip, and would appreciate opinions on places to go & any general advice for motorhoming in 'non-french' countries. We've camped/motorhomed extensively in France so we're fairly familiar there - its Germany/Switzerland/Italy that we're not too sure what to expect

Thinking of going across northern France (from Cherbourg), entering Germany near Stuttgart, staying around southern Germany for a bit, then moving south via lake constance to explore Switzerand, northern Italy, then back into France around Grenoble/Annecy. We have 7 weeks.

Any recommendations on good spots & routes to take?
    We used the French Aires a fair bit last year, are they the same/as numerous in other countries (I'm assuming not). Any good ones on lake constance?, plan to spend some time there.
    Any other general tips for motorhoming in Germany/Switzerland/Italy?

thanks

Hi Kabal
    In what now seems like another lifetime we did much the same. In fact, we did it twice as we took advantage of the fact that my brother was living in Germany just over the Rhein from Strasbourg. However, at the time we didn't have the luxury of a campervan. It was just the two of us in a fairly clapped out Corolla (with no AC, oh man) and a little two man tent. Each time I think we had about 5 weeks but 7 would have been better :D. Given the time lag and the fact that we didn't have a camper I may not be of much assistance but this was our route.

Cherbourg across to Strasbourg
    This is a bit of a haul and we would have spend a few nights on route. Quickest route is the A4 through Rheims, Metz and on to Strasbourg. Not sure how much that will be on tolls with a camper but it will be quite a bit.

On one of our trips from Strasbourg/Offenbourg area we drove down through the Black Forest on route 33 down through Triberg and on to lake Constance. From there we went across Fussen (home of Ludwig's Castle, Disney inspiration) and on to Innsbruck. We stayed in a very nice campsite in Nattersee. From there we headed across through Switzerland before heading back up north to Offenbourg. Then back across France to Cherbourg.

In my opinion you cant go too far wrong on a trip like this. We tended to stay 1-3 nights in a campsite and then move along. Most were municipal type sites and many had decent pools etc. The one in Nattersee was more upmarket and my brother and sister later went there with their families and really enjoyed it. We also came across a good campsite in the middle of the Rhein near Breisach am Rhein. There was a good swimming complex next door complete with slides etc.

Overall it was a fabulous trip and I would love to do it again in the camper especially if we could stay away for 7 weeks. We loved it all but if asked for a favourite it would be the Black Forest and Fussen/Innsbruck sections. As I said it was just the two of us with no camper, no gps and no google maps so it was all wing and a prayer type stuff. I'd do it again in heart beat.

On the other trip we left Offenbourg headed down through Switzerland and on to Italy. Did Northern Italy, lake Como and lake Garda and then headed into Provence across southern France and back up the west coast of France to the ferry. Oh man the things you do when you are young! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

thanks for the helpful mails holyann and wildwater - will have a look at the map to see where ye went

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

If Luxemburg is on your route make sure you fill up on diesel there. Cheapest country in the region !!!

Advertisement