Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sounds you love...

Options
  • 28-01-2013 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭

Ah it has taken me so long to come across the forum, it's like a little heaven amongst all the hullabaloo of boards.ie :D
    Anyho I saw the 'smells you love' thread and I thought I might as well add the sounds you love thread and maybe call that my good deed for the day :P To get the ball rolling, and this could be a strange one, I love the sound of a hair-dryer. It reminds me of a lovely warm day in the summer when I was 5 or 6 years old and my mam was drying my hair while I stared out the window at the perfectly blue sky. Of course the hair-dryer gives out heat as well which is comforting and it's a fine break from all this winter weather we've been getting :cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I love the sound of a Chopper motorcycle starting up and running :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Horses galloping

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Quite simply-the sound of the key turning in the front door!

Means the kids are home from school,and there follows an hour of laughter and chat and news from the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Oh Lord, where to begin? These are probably going to be mostly music related, but:
    -The sound of a live choir (or Queen's multitracked harmonies), gives me the spine shivers :P
    -The key of B flat and F major :D
    -The sound of a cello, Irish flute, guitar or the baby grand piano in our drama room at school
    -I've said it in another thread, but a transition from a chord vi to a major chord iii in any key

Ok, ok, I'll stop with the music stuff :P Other sounds include my little sisters' laughter, and the sound of a stream trickling through forest parks. And I'll be the first to mention the waves crashing into each other or simply caressing the shore. Now I want to go to the beach! :P Oh, and who could forget the sweet sound of liberty of the ten to four bell? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

A babies laugh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Oh Lord, where to begin? These are probably going to be mostly music related, but:
    -The sound of a live choir (or Queen's multitracked harmonies), gives me the spine shivers :P
    -The key of B flat and F major :D
    -The sound of a cello, Irish flute, guitar or the baby grand piano in our drama room at school
    -I've said it in another thread, but a transition from a chord vi to a major chord iii in any key

Ok, ok, I'll stop with the music stuff :P Other sounds include my little sisters' laughter, and the sound of a stream trickling through forest parks. And I'll be the first to mention the waves crashing into each other or simply caressing the shore. Now I want to go to the beach! :P Oh, and who could forget the sweet sound of liberty of the ten to four bell? :D
    Oh yeah I'd add the sound of the waves to me list! Unfortunately our bell in school is quite weird (which most visitors are fairly amused by!) so it doesn't quite have that beautiful liberating feel to it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

kingcobra wrote: »
    Oh yeah I'd add the sound of the waves to me list! Unfortunately our bell in school is quite weird (which most visitors are fairly amused by!) so it doesn't quite have that beautiful liberating feel to it :P

Ours is a couple of beeps, but it's the freedom associated with its pealing through the corridors on a Friday evening that makes me love it so much! It's a different scéal at 9am on a Monday, but this forum is not for negativity :P Oh, and I'll add cats purring to my list of sounds I love :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

My other half's alarm going off when I get a lie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

The screech of seagulls
    Wail of a foghorn
    Car wheels on gravel
    Rain against the windows
    Howling wind when I'm inside
    Blackbird singing at dusk
    Lawnmowers on a summer evening
    The roar of a well filled pub

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Cha ching cha ching. (and bubbles).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

My boyfriend coming in the door from work to the home we now live in together :)

My girlfriend and how happy she is to see me when I get home and no it's not Princess Peach :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

The sound of arcing electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

the murmur of a crowd at a game if you arrive late - quickens the step!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

The sound of waves on a stormy Autumn/Winter's day.
    The roar of the crowd at a match when your team scores (esp GAA).
    The opening notes when one of your all time favourite songs gets played on the radio, esp if its a song that doesn't get a huge amount of airpay
    The sound of uilleann pipes (played well). Beautiful instrument
    Listening to a unique singing voice, someone like Luke Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Birdsong!

The ocean waves!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The sound of a washing machine! I used to sit watching the clothes turning in the washing machine as a kid and even now the sound of it is very homely and comforting to me.

Sound of waves on the beach - I even have an app on my phone that plays wave sounds for nights when I find it hard to sleep.

Sound of rain outside when you're tucked up and warm inside :)

Love the sound of ocean waves and nature. Have an entire CD with nothing but those sounds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Tape cassettes rattling in their cases or being dropped onto hard surfaces

Ducks quacking

Seagulls on a harbour, or by it.

Rain lashing down outside.

A quiet street with just a few cars passing by :)

Cocking a shotgun, a bebe one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

I love the coo-ing sound the wood pigeons make in our garden. So relaxing to listen to on a hot quiet summer day. I could just nod off.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

The songs of mockingbirds are amazing - how they can mimic doorbells, car alarms, dogs barking, sirens, anything. I used to enjoy listening closely to count what new sounds they added to their repertoire. Their loud, repetitive songs could beckon my mind out of my urban jungle and into the beauty of nature.

Commercial flights do me in; but if I am seated within earshot of a crying infant, I can travel relatively fear-free knowing life goes on outside of myselfishlittlepanicfest. The sound of a wee helpless new life crying out and being tended to is oddly soothing in moments of stress.

Flowing rivers in a park, fountains, wind in trees, and seagulls when by the docks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

When Fallout 2 starts up and Kiss to Build a Dream on by Louis Armstrong plays

Advertisement