Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just What the Doctor Ordered!

Options
  • 28-01-2013 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Decided I'd follow in Stench Blossoms footsteps and start a fitness log here, mainly for myself to look back on and see progress or any areas I'm missing and basically see what works for me.

I'm not going to blather on about weight loss here, because I do enough of that in the Nutrition forum!
    Basically my aims are to get back down to my goal weight (or thereabouts) but to do it slowly without losing muscle. I hope that this will make maintenance of said loss easier! Last time I did it by 1100-1200 cals a day and 3/4 days of hard cardio and running. Couldn't maintain.

So I've been doing pump classes in a fitness studio supplemented with my own stuff in my own gym.
    Can't afford fitness classes anymore on top of a gym membership so I'm going it alone with the guidance (not following verbatim) of New Rules of Lifting for Women and what I learned in my pump classes. I also have started back playing football two nights a week. I'm crap, so we'll see how long that lasts for!

I'm not lifting mad heavy, because access to plates above 25kg in my gym means going to the scary upstairs area which appears to never have had a woman in it... I'm building up the courage to go in...

Sunday 27 January 2013

5 minutes treadmill @9.5km
    5 minutes treadmill intervals 30secs@9.5km and 30secs @14km

Barbell deadlift
    20kg x 10
    20kg x 10
    25kg x 10

Alternating Sets x3
    Bulgarian Split squat
    7kg dumbbell x10 each side
    Underhand lat pull down
    30kg x10 (35kg for last 10)

Alternating Sets x2
    Reverse lunge with forward reach using step
    14kg dumbbell x10 each side
    Dumbbell prone Cuban snatch (on bench)
    5kg dumbbells x10. These were tough to get form right. May need to try 4kgs until I nail form.

Alternating Sets x2
    Cobra x10
    Swiss ball crunch x10
    Hanna side flexion x10 Need to watch form on these too.

4 minutes treadmill intervals 30secs@9.5km and 30secs @14km
    1 minutes treadmill @8km

Stretching!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Well done.

Are you starting on stage 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Hey Stench, yeah I started bits from stage two. I have been doing pump etc... since about October and a lot of the movements from my classes had moves from stage one. I'll be mixing it up though, might do stage 1 exercises from time to time. :)

I have to have two weights days in succession with the way my week moves, I just try and make sure I'm working different muscles for the most part. I don't lift extremely heavy so it's not too bad.

Saturday 28 January 2013

5 minutes treadmill intervals 30secs@9.5km and 30secs @14km

Barbell front squat to push press
    15kg x 10 (x3)

Alternating Sets x3
    Dumbell step ups
    7kg dumbbells x10 each side
    Dumbell one point row Serious concentration needed!!!
    7kg dumbbells x10

Alternating Sets x3
    Static Lunge with rear foot elevated using barbell
    20kg x10 each side
    Push ups- knees on ground
    12 reps- push ups are my enemy but I'm getting there

Alternating Sets x2
    Plank
    Held for 60secs
    Wood chops with cable
    15kg (x10 each side)

Tabatha ab sets (20secs on, 10 secs off x3)
    Hips lift
    Crunch
    Leg extension

Stretching! My glutes were in bits from yesterday so did a LOT of stretching so I won't be stiff for football tomorrow.

Hey Stench, yeah I started bits from stage two. I have been doing pump etc... since about October and a lot of the movements from my classes had moves from stage one. I'll be mixing it up though, might do stage 1 exercises from time to time. :)

I was doing pump classes for 2 years before I started it and Stage 1 almost killed me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Delighted to see another girl logging! Keep up the good work :)

I was doing pump classes for 2 years before I started it and Stage 1 almost killed me. :)

Oh believe me, if I was doing the work you're doing I wouldn't be typing this!!! You lift waaay heavier than me and you're actually doing the programme!

I'm doing my own lovely version of it! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

Oh believe me, if I was doing the work you're doing I wouldn't be typing this!!! You lift waaay heavier than me and you're actually doing the programme!

I'm doing my own lovely version of it! ;)

Haha, I remember gymfreak making a similar comment in my old log about 2 years ago.... and now she kicks my ass x100 :pac: So don't underestimate yourself! ;)

Looking forward to seeing how you get on!

Ah, thanks all! Dunno how far I want to go with this really yet but we'll see!

A gym instructor came over to me today telling me to chance going up to the "men's" area as they have a lot of what I use and when want to progress!!!

Scared, may take me awhile to get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

A gym instructor came over to me today telling me to chance going up to the "men's" area as they have a lot of what I use and when want to progress!!!

Dont let the boy's intimidate you, we love nothing more than having a bit of variety in the weights section, just watch your form, the one thing i personally hate to see is bad form, mostly as i'd feel mean correcting / assisting somebody, especially if it were a girl .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Why don't you just ask one of the gym instructors to walk you around the upstairs weights area and show you where everything is. I think once you know where all the equipment is that you want to use then you'll feel less intimidated! Being familar with your surroundings=little or no intimidation...just a thought!

Thanks everyone. That's actually a really good idea about getting someone to show me upstairs. Then I can just stay there!! :D

Tuesday 29th January

Football Training- 70 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I've spent the afternoon doing up an google spreadsheet log for stage 1 of NROLFW, my head is melted!

I've spent the afternoon doing up an google spreadsheet log for stage 1 of NROLFW, my head is melted!

Now that is dedication! When I read the book my head gets a bit melted!!!

Hence why I decided to do the plan "Doctorwhogirl" style!!! :cool:

i.e. probably not the right way at all! But so long as it works I'm happy!

Will you bring that to the gym with you then as a record?

There are loads available online :)

If you want I'll share mine with you. It's got all 7 stages and includes the nutritional advice.

Now that is dedication! When I read the book my head gets a bit melted!!!

Hence why I decided to do the plan "Doctorwhogirl" style!!! :cool:

i.e. probably not the right way at all! But so long as it works I'm happy!

Will you bring that to the gym with you then as a record?

Yeah I always bring a workout log - printed out sheet and a pen in a plastic sleeve.
    I've also in the past used a journal called fitbook before which is a lovely product.

There are loads available online :)

If you want I'll share mine with you. It's got all 7 stages and includes the nutritional advice.

I did google and looked at the ones online but I didn't like the layout, they didn't read chronologically ifykwim.
    I saw the nutrition calculator too, didn't appeal, eating paleo now, no more calorie counting :)

Thursday 31 January

Football training.
    Don't feel like I pushed myself as hard as I could, I'm also crap.:o

Good for the aul fitness though!

Friday 1 February 2013

5 minutes treadmill intervals 30secs@9.5km and 30secs @14km Last one at 15km

15kg x 10 (x2)
    20kg x10 (x1) :D

Alternating Sets
    Dumbell step ups
    8kg dumbbells x10 each side x3 :D
    Dumbell one point row
    8kg dumbbells x10 (x2)

Alternating Sets
    Static Lunge with rear foot elevated
    8kg dumbbells x10 each side (x3)
    15 reps

Alternating Sets x2
    Plank
    Held for 60secs one foot up in the air this week! :D
    Wood chops with cable
    15kg (x10 each side)

Stretching!

Progress made this evening! :D

Had to go into the scary mens area for the 8kg dumbbells...It's a mess, and it's scary...

.It's a mess, and it's scary...

We know where every dumbell is on the floor when it's like that, at any point in time :D

We know where every dumbell is on the floor when it's like that, at any point in time :D

In fairness when I went looking for the dumbbell this lad was able to instantly locate it amongst the mess for me!!! :D

Then I ran away...Really need to explore it more for squat racks etc...

But then again my pitiful 20kg is manageable without a rack at the mo!

There's a sign up in my gym, that if they don't put the db's away on the rack, he's instructed the staff to tke them away into storage. he's yet to fllow through on this parenting style threat.
    There seems to be only 2 pairs of 10's which is a pita if people don't put them back.

• Advertisement

Had a great day in gym today!
    Can see progress in a few areas and then I ran into someone I went to secondary school who I hadn't seen in years and she didn't know me at all which was a lovely boost! :)

Sunday 27 January 2013

5 minutes treadmill intervals 30secs@9.5km and 30secs @14km. last interval at 15km

Barbell deadlift
    25kg x 10
    25kg x 10
    30kg x 10

Alternating Sets x3
    Bulgarian Split squat
    15kg plate x10 each side
    Underhand lat pull down
    30kg x10 (35kg for last 10)

Alternating Sets x2
    10kg dumbbells x10 each side
    5kg dumbbells x10. Still struggling with these!!!! Going to go down to 4kg next time and see does that improve my form.

Alternating Sets x2
    Cobra x 45secs
    Swiss ball crunch x15
    Hanna side flexion x10 Better form on these today

Stretching!

Monday 4 February 2013

5 minutes treadmill intervals 30secs@9.5km and 30secs @14km Last one at 15km

15kg x 10 (x1)
    20kg x10 (x2) :D But shaky legs on last set!

Alternating Sets
    Dumbell step ups
    8kg dumbbells x10 each side x3
    Dumbell one point row
    8kg dumbbells x10 (x2) Again, shaky legs on a few reps!!! Grrr but pulled it together

Alternating Sets (x3)
    Static Lunge with rear foot elevated
    8kg dumbbells x10 each side
    15 reps

Alternating Sets x2
    Plank
    Held for 60secs one foot up in the air, alternating every 30 secs
    Wood chops with cable
    15kg (x10 each side)

Tabatha core work
    Hip raises
    crunches
    bicycle
    leg extensions

Stretching!

Workouts are a bit messed up this week. Can't go to football tomorrow, or anything as I've a dentist appointment and I'm being sedated so I'll be a) high as a kite followed by b) in a lot of pain! (hopefully not b, but two big fillings being replaced may be uncomfortable!

Also going out either Fri or Sat

So plan is

Monday: weights workout b
    Tuesday: rest
    Wednesday:weights workout a
    Thursday: Football
    Friday: weights workout b
    Saturday or Sunday spin class and a bit of interval running on treadmill

Wednesday 6 February 2013

5 minutes treadmill intervals 30secs@9.5km and 30secs @14km. last interval at 15km

Barbell deadlift
    25kg x 10
    30kg x 10
    30kg x 10

Alternating Sets x3
    Bulgarian Split squat with dumbbells, I forgot to get a plate! So was using 5kg heavier than last time! Wondered why they were tough!
    10kg dumbbells x10 each side
    Underhand lat pull down
    35kg x10
    35kg x10
    40kg x10

Alternating Sets x3
    7kg dumbbells x10 each side (That's a reduction but my form was much better and I wanted to do an additional set. Will use 8kg next time though.
    4kg dumbbells x10. (WAAAY better using the 4kgs. Could actually get the proper form and again, wanted to do three sets)

Alternating Sets x2
    Cobra x 45secs
    Swiss ball crunch x15 x20 on second round
    Hanna side flexion x10

Hip raises
    Bicycle
    Leg extensions

3 min intervals on treadmill as didn't feel the burn really!

Stretching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

20kg Split Squats? Love your work!!:cool:

TheBellJar wrote: »
    20kg Split Squats? Love your work!!:cool:

They were horrific.

But yes, I did feel :cool:

My legs felt like :eek:

Thursday 6/2/13

Just shy of an hour's football training.

Not sure what to do tomorrow. Need another cardio day but I bloody hate spinning, which is the only class on in my gym that I can make at the weekend.

Think I might push myself and do a good hour's jog tomorrow. Haven't done that in a looong time and I'd like to see how I get on. depends on how wrecked I am though.

Then get a good weights session in at weekend!

Thursday 6/2/13

Just shy of an hour's football training.

Not sure what to do tomorrow. Need another cardio day but I bloody hate spinning, which is the only class on in my gym that I can make at the weekend.

Think I might push myself and do a good hour's jog tomorrow. Haven't done that in a looong time and I'd like to see how I get on. depends on how wrecked I am though.

Then get a good weights session in at weekend!

Cardio circuit is quite good for a burn ..

Cardio circuit is quite good for a burn ..

Like an at home one or in the gym? I have a few apps on my phone but nowhere I can really do it at home and I feel like an eejit doing burpees etc... in my gym. No real area for that stuff...
    What would you suggest? Thanks btw!

Also, I should say. I'm not getting any feelings of having "worked out" the next day, none of the "delayed onset muscle soreness". Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Should I be lifting heavier or is it just that I'm managing what I'm doing just fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Like an at home one or in the gym? I have a few apps on my phone but nowhere I can really do it at home and I feel like an eejit doing burpees etc... in my gym. No real area for that stuff...
    What would you suggest? Thanks btw!

Also, I should say. I'm not getting any feelings of having "worked out" the next day, none of the "delayed onset muscle soreness". Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Should I be lifting heavier or is it just that I'm managing what I'm doing just fine?

I wouldn't worry, just because your not getting DOMS doesn't mean your not progressing. For me I find DOMS the be a sorta random occurrence and usually subsides after I get into the swing of things. The less DOMS the better as far as I'm concerned, it's no fun going into a workout with the left overs from the previous one.

I wouldn't take it as a sign that you should be lifting heavier, I'd judge that by how the weight feels. If it feels light and your flying through sets with ease then you should up the weight.

• Advertisement

DylanJM wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry, just because your not getting DOMS doesn't mean your not progressing. For me I find DOMS the be a sorta random occurrence and usually subsides after I get into the swing of things. The less DOMS the better as far as I'm concerned, it's no fun going into a workout with the left overs from the previous one.

I wouldn't take it as a sign that you should be lifting heavier, I'd judge that by how the weight feels. If it feels light and your flying through sets with ease then you should up the weight.

Cheers for that, I do feel the weights when I'm working out and in fairness, I do move myself on frequently, even if it means I discover I'm not ready yet and I have to drop back.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it!

Advertisement