Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Photographer Profile] #10 .Longshanks.

• 28-01-2013 5:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

The idea of these threads is to give some insight as to how some of your fellow photographers operate. Each person invited will write about their photography and provide some examples. This thread will be sticky for about a fortnight (longer if needed) During this time feel free to comment and ask questions. Please allow the subject to answer questions and do not do so on their behalf.

While this process is taking place, the subject will approach the next person to be highlighted. Please keep this secret and do not prompt.

All normal site and forum rules apply.

Hi, I’m Kevin. I’m a fire safety engineer from Donegal and somehow it has resulted in me ending up in Sydney. But more on that later. I’ve been taking photos for a couple years now. I do it just for fun and to stick up on the wall. I’ve never really been into trying to pursue photography for any other reason.

I grew up around my father’s film and video cameras but had no zero interest in any of them until around sometime in 2008. I got a loan of one of his old fuji bridge cameras and started taking a few shots. I remember not having a clue what all the buttons did, but managed to get the below sunset using manual mode. Beginners luck I suppose.
    2683741390_1d40c2ac33.jpg

In fact I think my first post in the photo section was asking for somebody to photoshop the sunset to give it more pop* as I knew it looked a bit flat*

*I have no idea of the terms I used back then, but it was months later before I knew what I was trying to ask for.

So anyways not much else happened for a few months until I saved up enough to buy a Canon 1000D with the 18-55mm kit lens the following Christmas. And then I was hooked. I crawled through the internet / magazines for inspiration, tutorials and explanations on how certain shots where taken and tried to replicate them via trial and error. This formed the basis of my photography knowledge – no fancy-smancy college or course for me!

One of the main reasons I wanted a DLSR was to be able to take long exposures at night. I had often seen examples in magazines etc and had long since figured out how they were taken before even owning anything other than a point and shoot.

For the first 5-6 months I tried anything and everything. Somewhere a long the way I picked up a copy of CS3 to give the shots the ‘pop’ I was after and I still (occasionally) use it. These days 99% of my shots are processed using lightroom only. The HDR route was also investigated and looking back now some of the results are shocking. Others are ok. Oh yeah I got a Dando too….there was a lot of them shots around June-July 2009
    31416774.jpg
    98668181.jpg

I meet up with Brendan, previously of these parts, one evening and we got a few rig shots. He introduced me to the sigma 10-20mm, which I promptly bought myself a few weeks later. And so began the most expensive hobby in the word.
    53305119.jpg

Around December 2009 I discovered Dustin Diaz stream on flickr and seen a Zack Arais online workshop. A light bulb went off inside my head. I had seen off camera lighting on tv before but otherwise knew nothing about it. These guys shots were exactly the type of ones I wanted to take - in my head – but simply didn’t know how.

Around the same time I was a board mini-met in Dublin and BorderFox gave me (us) a crash in how to set it all up. In the coming months a 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 30mm f1.4, a used 40D and a few flashes arrived. Yeah primes are generally my thing….mainly because I’m a huge fan of low light shots and big apertures are essential.

So I then started taking pictures of people. And because I had no access to pro-models I had to use what was available…….ie myself and the other half for off camera flash stuff. Low key stuff was definitely my favourite. Plus it required less light – ie cheaper!

I also notice I went through a phase of adding text and black borders to shots. Nothing wrong with it, I guess it stopped around the time I switched from mainly using photoshop to lightroom. (The text on the images doesn’t really work when viewed so small in the following images)
    11021009.jpg

With the 30mm and 85mm lens I eventually built up enough courage to try and snap a few strangers for street photography while standing in the middle of the footpath (I disagree with trying to hide in street alleyways etc)
    98448347.jpg

I continued along this general route over the coming months taking pictures of anything and everything, except I would generally only come back with maybe 1 – 2 to shots I would be happy with on each outing. During this time the 40D was sold and replaced with a 7D.
    18370777.jpg

65286457.jpg

And then in June 2011 I was offered a job in Sydney. It would mean myself and my now wife would be giving up our house, dog and good jobs.
    5849758527_2c77822635_o.jpg

But after a long long deliberation we decided to give it a go and haven’t looked back since*. Every aspect of our life here is better….including my photography opportunities. The 7D along with all the crop-based lens were sold and over the course of a few months replaced with a 5DmkII, 17-40 and a 200mm f2.8. My most recent addition is a 100-400mm.

*We do miss our dog, but she was re-homed by a fellow boardies and I know she is being spoilt rotten even now 18 months later…..

We now live in the Rosebay area of Sydney. To those in the know it’s in the Eastern Suburbs and close to the beach but far away from all the main hustle and bustle. I’ve been in a studio now too since I got here – something I’ve never got a chance to do back in Ireland. I’ve had successful results but I don’t really think it’s for me. I don’t really like how staged it needs to be…?
    15678503.jpg

86734057.jpg

And then this bad boy arrived. The Fuji X100.
    8237748046_6a7a8e2701_c.jpg

My photography interest had been starting to dwindle after the initial high of arriving a new country. The x100 set me off again! With its 23mm fixed lens (equivalent to 35mm on a full frame), its hands down the most favourite camera I’ve owned. It has its faults (pretty big ones too) but the positives far out weight the negatives.

While the x100 delivers fantastic colour .jpeg’s I notice I seem to get better black and white results from it. I take it everywhere. To work, the beach, the pub and on the lazy Sunday stroll.
    22821314.jpg

Living so close to the beach I now really want to learn how to surf. I’d seen stuff on tv and magazines that people get hooked on the surfers lifestyle. Well from the other side of a camera lens I can easily see how that can happen. I tried a lesson last year and was rubbish but really want to give it another go soon.
    65802436.jpg

These days my shots are probably a 50:50 spit between the Fuji and the Canon.

I guess that’s kinda me. More a history of how I got to where I am than anything else. Was harder than I thought to put the above together but was still chuffed at being asked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i first saw your work on dtd a few years ago, when you posted those rig shots... i really liked your style and have been following your work ever since then! i didn't know you were a beginner around then!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

always a top image post from you.
    love your work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Love your photography. Ive yet to see one of your photos that I dont like. Love your most recent step into the surfing side. Interested to see how it develops :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Great stuff, I really like your night time and street stuff, has a cinematic feel to it - if you get me! Look like stills lifted from a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

Lovely work, well done!

I'm mostly a lurker here, but I've enjoyed your work over the last while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭starr0409

Im having more lows than highs with my photography but I sort of feel like this inspired me to keep at it. thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Much enjoyed reading that and seeing some of your work collected together. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hey,
    I'm a big fan of your shots, love the night bokeh shots, great colours.
    Overall great, great shots, love the surfer and sunset too.

As above, a great cinematic feel to your stuff.
    Do you spend long processing photos? Most of your photos have great colour and stand out from an 'out of the box' photo. I've just started dipping my toes in LR.

I still can't get my head around having a fixed focal length on a camera forever and paying 'that' kind of money for it. I'd love to try one out for an afternoon though, sure I could love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Thanks ya all!
    dinneenp wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm a big fan of your shots, love the night bokeh shots, great colours.
    Overall great, great shots, love the surfer and sunset too.

As above, a great cinematic feel to your stuff.
    Do you spend long processing photos? Most of your photos have great colour and stand out from an 'out of the box' photo. I've just started dipping my toes in LR.

I still can't get my head around having a fixed focal length on a camera forever and paying 'that' kind of money for it. I'd love to try one out for an afternoon though, sure I could love it.

Since I've been using LR i would say no more than 5-60 seconds PP per image. I've created a load of own presets over the past 18 months or so and generally know what I'm after before I even turn the computer one.

I believe everybody should own at least one fixed lens. I was originally told it would help ya get better at composition and I think its true.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Always a lovely clean, crisp image that really suits the cinematic documentary style you've got. Big fan of your stuff. And you're a nice bloke to boot:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Your name is pretty cool too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Great post, by a great photographer. I always look forward to seeing his photo's when they pop up on my flickr feed. One of the few contacts there that I do genuinely look forward to seeing what he comes up with.

One of the best photographers here on boards.ie that's for sure, a sound guy too into the bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

Great work Kev, unique style:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭PhinglasPhil

I've always enjoyed viewing your wonderful images.
    Thanks for sharing both your photographic views & background.
    Slan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Great write up!
    As per dirtygettokid, I remember seeing your OPC shots on DTD. Few years back!

Advertisement