Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybodys pets eating alot at the mo?!

• 28-01-2013 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Just wondering as my kitten/Cat is eating me out of house and home, and getting a belly to go with it! Shes 9 months old now and her appetite has really increased in the last month. Has the cold weather anything to do with it? She is indoor/outdoor usually although with the weather recently she has no intention of being outside! Any of your furry friends the same? She is also less playful and mad but Im guessing thats just cos shes leaving the 'kitten' stage :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Our little monster was always a pig, but she never stops moving so still slim. However the older cats were getting a bit porky, then I realised they were stealing the kitten food!
    Maybe a silly question, but is she neutered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

She's not expecting some new arrivals is she?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭snowgal

ha, no shes neutered since October. Aw Id love some new arrivals, lil kittys! no shes just hungry as a horse and prob being over fed, must keep an eye. I wonder is it time to take her off kitten food. Its very confusing as I have read that giving cats kibble/dry food is like giving a child sweets and also that giving them wet food the same! I feed her Royal canin dry and applaws wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

It sounds like you're giving her good quality food, it's only the cheap supermarket food (wet or dry) that is like feeding them rubbish the whole time, RC and applaws are good quality aren't they? Not sure about changing from kitten to cat, maybe check with your vet? Maybe she's just greedy? My cat is, she'd eat the whole day if I let her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

My cat generally eats exactly the same amount every day.

She lacks the opposable thumbs necessary to open presses and so on in order get more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I was thinking litter patter of tiny paws too!

Maybe it is time to try the adult food, or RC do a kitten sterilised which is lower energy.
    Other option could be to add a bit of the adult to the kitten and slowly increase until she's about the year.
    I find giving a bit of raw fills them a while, chunks of stewing steak make good chewing and tires them out, or raw chicken wings, stuff like that.
    Maybe try getting her to play a bit more, and cutting down food will be enough. I saw one of those balls you put dry food in and the roll it about to get it out, looks great. (I'd get one myself but the dogs would just steal it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Is she wormed? The big appetite can be a tell tale sign of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭snowgal

yep she is wormed. I got her more tablets just to be safe, it has 6 weeks. I think shes just a mini horse to be honest!

Advertisement