Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Notable player achievements in GAA

• 28-01-2013 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭

dont think i have seen a thread like this in a long time, so what achievements from players do you think are worth a mention?

for instance, Paul Galvins club team Finuge reached the All Ireland Intermediate club final yesterday. this made me realise that Paul now has the following medals at club level - 2 Munster Junior Club, 1 Munster Intermediate Club and 1 Munster Senior club - surely not many players have this at provincial club level?

he already has an all ireland junior club medal, as well as county Junior (2), Intermediate and Senior (2, 1 with UCC) and 3 County Senior Hurling medals.

of course Paul also has multiple honours with Kerry - he has Munster minor, u-21 and 6 Munster Senior medals, as well as 4 All Ireland Senior, 3 National Leagues, 3 All stars and the 2009 player of the year award. He also has munster and all ireland vocational schools medals with Kerry.

so, what other players have notable or unique achievements that may go under the radar at times?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

Paul Galvin is a gent and a true hero of the Association. Well done Paul.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Liam Doyle and Conor Clancy have 1 Junior All Ireland and 2 Senior All Irelands each, Liam Doyle has 2 All Stars as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I'm looking forward to seeing Jimmy Barry Murphy's haul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Graham Geraghty has a superb list of achievements IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Michael Donnellan, his father and his grandfather all have a Celtic Cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Fine haul alright OP, but has Galvin actually won a Munster snr Club title? i thought divisional teams were excluded from the Munsters.

Also, Kerry manager Eamonn fitzmaurice was Full forward for Finuge and scored 2 points

Fine haul alright OP, but has Galvin actually won a Munster snr Club title? i thought divisional teams were excluded from the Munsters.
    UCC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

UCC

Yep..Galvin was wing back and got Munster club player of the year that year. its why ive always wanted us to give him a go in the half back line during the league to see how he fits in there, especially when Mike Mac retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭babaracus

keane2097 wrote: »
    Graham Geraghty has a superb list of achievements IIRC.

Another Meath man Trevor Giles also has a great list of achievements/medals in gaelic football.

All Ireland Minor winner, All Ireland U-21 winner, All Ireland Senior x 2 with the accompanying Leinster medals of course. 1 National League according to wiki but I don't remember Meath winning Division 1 of the League. 3 All Stars, 1 Footballer of the Year. 4 Meath Senior County titles. A few knick knacks for International Rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yep..Galvin was wing back and got Munster club player of the year that year. its why ive always wanted us to give him a go in the half back line during the league to see how he fits in there, especially when Mike Mac retired.

Always thought he'd make a good centre back.

• Advertisement

babaracus wrote: »
    Another Meath man Trevor Giles also has a great list of achievements/medals in gaelic football.

All Ireland Minor winner, All Ireland U-21 winner, All Ireland Senior x 2 with the accompanying Leinster medals of course. 1 National League according to wiki but I don't remember Meath winning Division 1 of the League.
    Wasn't he on the team that beat Armagh in 94?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Oisín McConville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

As far as I know Anthony Davis (Cork) is the only player to have won All-Ireland Minor, U21, Junior and Senior inter-county titles along with a National League and All-ireland Senior club with O'Donovan Rossa (Skibereen).

I also believe Dermot Earley (Roscommon) was the only player to represent his county in Minor, U21, Junior and Senior in the same year - 1966 when Ros won the All-Ireland U21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

I think Henry Shefflin has a medal or two somewhere :D

Shefflin has, for the county:

9 Senior AI medals.
    12 Leinster senior medals.
    5 national leagues titles.
    4 Walsh Cup titles.
    2 Leinster minor medals.
    1 Leinster intermediate medal.
    2 U21 Leinster medals.
    1 AI U21 medal.

For the province he has:

3 Railway Cups.

For the club at senior he has:

5 Kilkenny county championships.
    3 Leinster titles.
    2 AI titles.

And most impressively he's not only the all-time top scorer in championship hurling, but also the top scorer from play in the championship too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

randd1 wrote: »

And most impressively he's not only the all-time top scorer in championship hurling, but also the top scorer from play in the championship too.

Well not according to this post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82753651&postcount=53

Championship points from play

1. Eddie Keher - 135
    2. John Mullane - 128
    3. Henry Shefflin - 123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I think mine will trump everyones

Mike Francis Russell

He has what i think is the best haul of medals throughout his career.

The man has literally won a medal in every competition he has ever played in.

Excuse me if i make a mistake but ill take a stab at it but these are off the top of my head.

Club Laune Rnagers
    U12, U14, U16, U18 U21 Senior Kerry League and Championship
    I presume you can throw in all the Mid Kerry Titles as well

Munster and All Ireland Club Championship

School Intermediate Killorglin

U16 Munster Champions, competition only went this far
    U18 All Ireland Hogan Cup Champions

Kerry

MINOR Munster and All Ireland Championship (Kerrys last win)
    U21 Munster and All Ireland Championship
    Senior Munster and All Ireland Championship
    National League Winner Div 1 & 2

College IT Tralee
    Siegerson Winner

Ireland
    International Rules Winner

Other
    All Star 2000

yayamark wrote: »
    I think mine will trump everyones

Mike Francis Russell

He has what i think is the best haul of medals throughout his career.

The man has literally won a medal in every competition he has ever played in.

Excuse me if i make a mistake but ill take a stab at it but these are off the top of my head.

Club Laune Rnagers
    U12, U14, U16, U18 U21 Senior Kerry League and Championship
    I presume you can throw in all the Mid Kerry Titles as well

Munster and All Ireland Club Championship

School Intermediate Killorglin

U16 Munster Champions, competition only went this far
    U18 All Ireland Hogan Cup Champions

Kerry

MINOR Munster and All Ireland Championship (Kerrys last win)
    U21 Munster and All Ireland Championship
    Senior Munster and All Ireland Championship
    National League Winner Div 1 & 2

College IT Tralee
    Siegerson Winner

Ireland
    International Rules Winner

Other
    All Star 2000
    Yea, Mike Frank was some performer. Still at it too, I have a lot of respect for that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

1. Eddie Keher - 135
    2. John Mullane - 128
    3. Henry Shefflin - 123

Shefflin is top scorer, Keher is top point scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

1. Eddie Keher - 135
    2. John Mullane - 128
    3. Henry Shefflin - 123

I'm sure that stat is a couple of years old.

Shefflin is definitely top from play now, Mullane is second now I think ahead of Keher. I know Mullane has hit something like 140 since '04 so the above stat would be wrong.

I think Mullane is in the 150's from play with Shefflin in the 160's, though I'm not exactly 100% sure about the actual number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Would anyone have any ideas of players that followed in their fathers footsteps, say winning an All Ireland or a Railway cup medal. I can think offhand of a few but I wonder are there many?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I think Dessie Dolans achievements are admirable because if you had pointed him out when he was a young lad in Garrycastle you wouldn't think he'd achieve all he has:
    1. Westmeath and Garrycastle were not very successful
    2. He was and still is not that big (although he is very strong for his size)
    We all know there is no way Westmeath/Garrycastle would have achieved all they did without him.

6 Westmeath Senior Football Championships (2001, 2002, 2004, 2009, 2010, 2011)
    5 Westmeath Division 1 Leagues (2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2009)
    3 National Football League Division 2s (2001, 2003, 2008)
    2 Leinster Under-21 Football Championships (1999, 2000)
    1 Leinster Senior Football Championship (2004)
    1 All-Ireland Under 21 Football Championship (1999)
    1 All Star (2004)
    1 Leinster Senior Club Football Championship (2011)
    1 Freshers All Ireland NUIG (1998 - 99 Class)

Possibly Dolan played for Ireland in international rules while still being a Fresher which is a pretty rare achievement. Think he was 19 at the time.

Quite alot of such cases of Father sons, across many counties. It would take a lot of trawling to list them all. Probably there are much more than just Donnelans have success Grandfather, Father, sons.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Jimmy Murray was the first player to captain his county (Roscommon) to two All-Ireland titles in successive years.

Jack Lynch is the only player to win Senior All-Ireland titles at inter-county level for 5 years in a row (4 hurling, 1 football)

Jimmy Murray was the first player to captain his county (Roscommon) to two All-Ireland titles in successive years.

Jack Lynch is the only player to win Senior All-Ireland titles at inter-county level for 5 years in a row (4 hurling, 1 football)

I'v heard it said that when Jimmy Murrays pub burned down the ball from the '44 All Ireland came down from behind the bar and bounced out the door to safety. Possibly some Rossies might have heard that tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bcb1

Oisin Mc Conville

County
    1 AI
    7 Ulster Championships
    1 NFL
    2 All Stars

Schools
    Every schools medal except McRory and Hogan. So that is D'Alton, Cor na nOg and Rannfast.

Club
    Senior
    16 county medals
    10 Ulsters
    6 All Irelands and hopefully 1 more to come

I don't know how many leagues we won, I think I have 4 so he has at least that and a few more. If you want to throw in under age we won everything from u12 to minor league and championship so he has all those as well as 4 county u21s.

In total at senior level he has 40 championship medals, club and county. I'd say very few will beat that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Not if you include the ladies - football team had five in a row, and dual players such as Rena Buckley and Briege Corkery had 4 camogie medals as well in that time.

Corkery is only missing a senior county at club level, has AI football and camogie medals championship and league medals, Munster inter county medals, then at club level has senior camogie championship and league (not 100% sure on the league), and senior club football league which they won this year.

4 Camogie All Ireland titles
    6 football All Ireland titles
    3 camogie league titles
    4/5 (I think) football league titles
    10 Munster football titles
    3 camogie senior county club titles
    2 football senior B titles
    2 Munster football titles
    think she has about five other medals between camogie and intermediate football - must check her profile from this years All Ireland final programme

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Graham Reilly top scorer from play in last years championship playing midfield.. ahead of brogan, gooch and the likes. i dont think it was ever done before

I'v heard it said that when Jimmy Murrays pub burned down the ball from the '44 All Ireland came down from behind the bar and bounced out the door to safety. Possibly some Rossies might have heard that tale.

I don't know about it bouncing out the door, but it was definitely undamaged in a fire that caused a lot of damage to the building around it.

Remarkable, no matter how it occurred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This goes under the radar quite a bit.

Paul Brady
    World Handball Singles Champion x 4 (2003, 2006, 2009, 2012)
    World Handball Doubles Champion x 1 (2003)
    All Ireland Singles 40 X 20 Champion x 8 all in a row
    All Ireland Doubles 40 X 20 Champion x 8
    Ultimate Handball Showdown Champion ($50k for winner)
    US National Champion x 7
    US National Doubles Champion x 1
    Canadian National Singles Champion x 1
    US Simple Green Singles Champion x 3
    US Simple Green Doubles Champion x 1
    Numerous Pro Stops on American tour.
    Numerous Provincial titles.

He has won almost every major competition on offer over the past nine years.

Incredible.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    This goes under the radar quite a bit.

Paul Brady
    World Handball Singles Champion x 4 (2003, 2006, 2009, 2012)
    World Handball Doubles Champion x 1 (2003)
    All Ireland Singles 40 X 20 Champion x 8 all in a row
    All Ireland Doubles 40 X 20 Champion x 8
    Ultimate Handball Showdown Champion ($50k for winner)
    US National Champion x 7
    US National Doubles Champion x 1
    Canadian National Singles Champion x 1
    US Simple Green Singles Champion x 3
    US Simple Green Doubles Champion x 1
    Numerous Pro Stops on American tour.
    Numerous Provincial titles.

He has won almost every major competition on offer over the past nine years.

Incredible.

Agree with you on Brady. Unbelievable athlete. The shame is so few of the general population have ever seen him play.

He actually has won 9 40x20 All-Ireland singles - won in 2003 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Quite alot of such cases of Father sons, across many counties. It would take a lot of trawling to list them all. Probably there are much more than just Donnelans have success Grandfather, Father, sons.

The Larkins of the Village club in Kilkenny done this also, just with a few more AIs :D

Paddy Larkin won 4 AIs back in the 1930s. His son, Phil 'Fan' Larkin won 5 AIs in the '70s and '80s. Fan's son, Philly Larkin then played under Brian Cody but could only manage 3 AIs :D

To add to that, Paddy's brother, Mick Larkin also won a few AIs. Both 'Fan' and Philly won club AIs with their clubs.

Then last September, Philly's cousin, Eoin Larkin, lifted the Liam McCarthy!

Great hurling family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Paul Brady has also two county medals with his club Mullahoran - outstanding athlete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Not if you include the ladies - football team had five in a row, and dual players such as Rena Buckley and Briege Corkery had 4 camogie medals as well in that time.

Corkery is only missing a senior county at club level, has AI football and camogie medals championship and league medals, Munster inter county medals, then at club level has senior camogie championship and league (not 100% sure on the league), and senior club football league which they won this year.

4 Camogie All Ireland titles
    6 football All Ireland titles
    3 camogie league titles
    4/5 (I think) football league titles
    10 Munster football titles
    3 camogie senior county club titles
    2 football senior B titles
    2 Munster football titles
    think she has about five other medals between camogie and intermediate football - must check her profile from this years All Ireland final programme
    I agree she is a brillant Cork gaa player.
    She has 5 Div 1 National Football League medals.
    When Cork won the 4 leagues in a row she was part of 3 of those,2008,2009,2011.
    She would of won a medal in 2010 but she was travelling for the year.
    She won 2 more football league titles Division 1 in 2005 and 2006.
    I think she won a Division 2 league title in the early 2000's as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

Jack Lynch actually did 6 in a row, 4 hurling, followed by a football and then another hurling. He also won county senior championship medals in both Cork and Dublin

Suprised no-one has mentioned Teddy McCarthy and Denis Walsh. Doubtful if anyone will ever win 2 senior all Ireland's again in the one season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

4 other Corkonions spring to mind

Seanie and Tomas O'leary, All irelands and All star Dad, Grand slam Irish Rugby International son with an All-Ireland minor medal to boot

Dinny Allen, Munster and All Ireland senior medals + a Munster Senior hurling medal and an FAI cup winners medal

Dave Barry, All Ireland and FAI cup winners medal and scored against Bayern Munich in Europe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

dont think i have seen a thread like this in a long time, so what achievements from players do you think are worth a mention?

for instance, Paul Galvins club team Finuge reached the All Ireland Intermediate club final yesterday. this made me realise that Paul now has the following medals at club level - 2 Munster Junior Club, 1 Munster Intermediate Club and 1 Munster Senior club - surely not many players have this at provincial club level?

he already has an all ireland junior club medal, as well as county Junior (2), Intermediate and Senior (2, 1 with UCC) and 3 County Senior Hurling medals.

of course Paul also has multiple honours with Kerry - he has Munster minor, u-21 and 6 Munster Senior medals, as well as 4 All Ireland Senior, 3 National Leagues, 3 All stars and the 2009 player of the year award. He also has munster and all ireland vocational schools medals with Kerry.

so, what other players have notable or unique achievements that may go under the radar at times?

He also won an All Ireland Vocational Schools medal in 1997

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

How about a similar thread in hurling?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

feargale wrote: »
    How about a similar thread in hurling?

The thread title is possibly a give away ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

Leighton Glynn has 17 County Championship Medals I think between hurling and football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement