Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike for a 2 year Old - Balance or real

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Lumen wrote: »
    She's only two, give her a chance :-)

Eh kids peak around 4 on the strider , if she has any chance of turning pro and winning this she needs to start now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlxOR8h7OV0

every second she is off the bike its a second of wasted training :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sprog2010

If you don't want to choose between a balance bike and pedal bike, try the LittleBig bike. You can add pedals to the balance bike so you don't need to buy a separate bike with pedals. It grows too.

Try a balance bike as they're great for the kids development. If you don't want to choose between a balance bike and pedal bike, you could try the LittleBig which converts between the 2, and it grows! littlebigbikes.com

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Why not get a normal bike but take the pedals off until the balance side is sorted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Got one of these for the young lad. They're saucy enough but the build quality is superb, even comes with Schwalbe tyres. As was mentioned above, make sure the size is right. We got it a bit soon for him and he was a bit too small for it and took a set against it for a few months.

It has a little shock on it too so he can go "offroad" when he gets a bit more adventurous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Got one of these for the young lad. They're saucy enough but the build quality is superb, even comes with Schwalbe tyres. As was mentioned above, make sure the size is right. We got it a bit soon for him and he was a bit too small for it and took a set against it for a few months.

It has a little shock on it too so he can go "offroad" when he gets a bit more adventurous.

Show him this video and explain your "exceptations" :D:D:D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga72-ASP1uM

oconnpad wrote: »
    Show him this video and explain your "exceptations" :D:D:D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga72-ASP1uM

This is the same kid from your video at 10 y.o.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Some people are just born to do certain things.

greendom wrote: »
    Why not get a normal bike but take the pedals off until the balance side is sorted ?

Aye, I've seen this suggested before, but if you take off the pedals then the child's feet tend to catch on the cranks while they're walking. Also the saddle on a normal pedal bike is too high for most kids to use for a balance bike, they're not sized for having the feet flat on the floor and walking. Also, generally balance bikes are much lighter than a pedal bike so make it easier to push along.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

sprog2010 wrote: »
    Aye, I've seen this suggested before, but if you take off the pedals then the child's feet tend to catch on the cranks while they're walking. Also the saddle on a normal pedal bike is too high for most kids to use for a balance bike, they're not sized for having the feet flat on the floor and walking. Also, generally balance bikes are much lighter than a pedal bike so make it easier to push along.

Fair enough - it worked very well for my boy but that was a few years ago.

• Advertisement

oconnpad wrote: »
    Some people are just born to do certain things.

I've been following Jackson Goldstone since he did that balance bike video. Clearly very talented as a 3 year old and now at 8ish is doing tailwhips and jumping massive ramps. I wonder how good he'll be when he gets to be a teenager...

sprog2010 wrote: »
    I wonder how good he'll be when he gets to be a teenager...

Usual story, pushy parents, women, beer, ditch the bike etc.

Usual story, pushy parents, women, beer, ditch the bike etc.

His folks seem to be medium pushy but seem to have good banter. I'd say he gets the usual drinking and girls that'll get him off the bike, I hope not though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The young lad is 2 years and 2 months, he has been on his balance bike since he could stand over it, which is since about 3 weeks ago. He loves it and goes to creche on it. Happy to do a couple of km on it, even if it does take forever. There are complaints when we take the buggy instead of the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

We're a couple of years off needing it but I've been initially looking at LittleBigBikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Lads the balance bikes here are serious money. I bought my two their balance bikes on sports direct for around 20 euro each. Very light no hassle t

Lads the balance bikes here are serious money. I bought my two their balance bikes on sports direct for around 20 euro each. Very light no hassle to put together and two years later they still love them. Easy to carry for them or me. Have bought them pedal bikes since but left them in the attic for another while cos they still love the balance bikes.

They are pricey but the good ones do have a very good resale value.

They are pricey but the good ones do have a very good resale value.
    That's true I'll most likely give mine to charity shop when I'm done. I would spend more on the pedal bikes as the weight difference and quality of parts as well as resale make a lot of sense. Just thought I'd make people aware of the sports direct option as the other prices might put people off buying a balance bike and i must say its been the best money we have spent on our two.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Mods - let me know if this needs a new thread.

Anyone know any Dublin places selling Strider bikes? I see the Irish website is gone.

There used to be a stall in the Bushy Park saturday market that sold them but think they are gone and I would like to buy a balance bike for my soon to be 3 year old, before Saturday if possible.

I bought my eldest a scuttlebug when they were a tot and it was too small then bought them a kiddimoto wooden balance bike and it was too wide at the seat and they hated it. Thighs were rubbed raw and wouldn't go near another balance bike. After another year I got them a normal one with stabilizers and they fell off a few times and it has put them off bikes for years. Eldest is nearly 6 years old now and still won't go near a bike so I am afraid to buy the wrong bike again.

I am hoping if I get a good bike for the youngest it might persuade the eldest to give it a go again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

360 cycles in Clontarf have them, or at least they had late last year when I was in there last.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

360 cycles in Clontarf have them, or at least they had late last year when I was in there last.

Thanks mr spuckler. Unfortunately they only do the scoot bikes now.

Weyhey wrote: »
    Thanks mr spuckler. Unfortunately they only do the scoot bikes now.

i think it was the Dutch Bike Shop that had them at the bike week fair in St Anne's park last year (as did 360 cycles). just checked their website though and the Strider page looks a bit empty!

https://dutchbikeshop.ie/strider-balance-bikes/

this one doesn't look too far off the mark though and is about half the price.
    https://dutchbikeshop.ie/pex-balance-bike/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Try the Puky brand also. We've had one for years. Sturdy things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

I've got one of these:
    https://www.micro-scooters.ie/childrens/1-2-years/other-products/balance-bike

The older boy started scooting around at this 2nd birthday (had to change the wheels for smaller, though).
    And used it until just before 5th birthday.

Now it's the younger fella scooting around.
    Can't go wrong with aluminium frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭del_c

Every German kid starts on a puky bike... I wouldn't look beyond them - my 3 all had them and loved them.
    Available in https://dutchbikeshop.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Nimble Fingers, in Stillorgan, used to stock Strider as far as I can recall. Can't see any on their website (LINK) mind you but might be worth a phonecall.

Another option is Cube FrogBikes, they do balance bikes too (LINK LINK). They are sold by Joe Daly Cycles in Dundrum, though I don't know if they keep the balance bikes in stock.

Edit: I should have said that Joe Daly sell FrogBikes, not Cube. D'oh.

It's funny, I responded to this thread in 2015 so it just popped up in my unread threads. My lad outgrew his likeABike jumper balance bike recently so I picked up a Canyon Offspring 16. He was pedalling it withing 3 days by himself. Never used stabilisers. It's a fantastic design as the sloped top tube gives them loads of clearance much like a modern mountainbike. It takes a lot of effort to convince a 4 year old to use his brakes instead of his shoes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ErikaDeanda

I just bought a balance bike that is designed for children between 2 and 5 years old. So that my little one learns to balance and then start cycling smoothly. He just rides on around the house. Thanks for the no-damage wheel, it won't leave any mark on my wood floor.

• Advertisement

I just bought a balance bike that is designed for children between 2 and 5 years old. So that my little one learns to balance and then start cycling smoothly. He just rides on around the house. Thanks for the no-damage wheel, it won't leave any mark on my wood floor.

Is it one of the ones in the link? I ask as they all seem to have 3 wheels?

Advertisement