Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Haynes Combustion Engine £9.99 on amazon

• 28-01-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭

As the title says. Was £29.99, its €12.99 in argos but only 3 left in Kilkenny.

Link

Description
    Build your own. The engine you build is a greatly simplified version of a real car engine. The model is designed to be fun to put together, and to make it easier for you to understand how a full-size four-stroke car engine works. This box contains all the parts and tools you need to assemble the working model. It comes complete with its very own Haynes Manual giving you clear step-by-step instructions to guide you through the build process, all you need to provide is the time, two batteries and a little vegetable oil. The on/off controller also includes a sound chip which reproduces the noise of an engine starting, as the model begins to work. What a beauty.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Got this last week in Argos for €12.99 and spent some of Saturday afternoon it assembling it.

Not for the fainthearted.. 100+ pieces and everything needs to be assembled from scratch but very rewarding once done.

Definitely a good buy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Got it for xmas, girlfriend paid around 30 quid for it so a nice bargain, I built it all in one evening, the most annoying thing is breaking the pieces off and filing the nubs off the various parts. Really rewarding "puzzle" though, well worth €13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

draffodx wrote: »
    Got it for xmas, girlfriend paid around 30 quid for it so a nice bargain, I built it all in one evening, the most annoying thing is breaking the pieces off and filing the nubs off the various parts. Really rewarding "puzzle" though, well worth €13.
    Yep, I was using a sharp knife to file off the burrs..

.. eventually girlfriend arrived in with a metal nail file just to avoid that inevitable Saturday afternoon visit to the ER! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

When you click the link, it's gone back up to £20.45, with 17 new from £19.99 listed also. Pity, as I bought one for my nephew for Christmas and I wish I'd bought one for myself and wasn't fast enough to get it again from my local Argos before they went out of stock!

Not near Kilkenny either to get it from them unfortunately. Will keep an eye on Amazon, hadn't considered it might be on there for a reasonable price. Thanks op!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Just what I've always wanted a self assembly model of a combustion engine ..... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Oracle wrote: »
    Just what I've always wanted a self assembly model of a combustion engine ..... :rolleyes:
    Good to know. Since Christmas is just gone, when's your birthday? We'll have a whip round and get you one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭dingding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Have one reserved in Wexford Extra till tomorrow evening but won't be able to collect.
    First pm is welcome to reservation code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭randombar

Ahhh looks cool, sold out everywhere now and price gone back up on amazon. BOO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭dingding

1 in Kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I've got 2 of this for family youngsters as Christmas presents - have had to help assembly both as it is too complex even for 10 year old. Must say - seems like that's some old stock, plastics are fine but rubber bands are little stiff. Got some problems with setting timing belts in both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I got one of these years ago, more than 10 anyway. This was before Haynes started doing them and it actually came via a Renault dealer through the accessories catalogue.

I had the same problem with the belt, it was so tight it was a struggle to get on and the crank was flexing. The timing is way off. I blew one of the spark plugs hooking it up to my bench power supply to see how fast it would go too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I got one of these a couple of weeks ago, and it was a cool build. Really interesting, took me maybe an hour and a half or so. Definitely not something for a 10 year old, I can't see them having an interest in it tbh.

Interesting seeing how it's all put together, and for that price it's worth.

Had no troubles with belts or anything like that, only trouble I had was putting on some part back to front and only realising near the end of the instructions...had to take the whole thing apart again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

£21.50 now on Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

only trouble I had was putting on some part back to front and only realising near the end of the instructions

I have some garage experience and still got crankshaft back to front in the first one ;-). And I had one 10yo nephew who's into karts with big interest in that model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Mine arrived today. Was going to let my students make it but now thinking I want to do it myself.
    Got it delivered for 19e I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I got one on Debenhams about two weeks ago (there was another BA thread about it - €14.40 all in (free delivery)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Four stroke cycle:

Suck - Squeeze - Bang - Blow

I prefer the two-stroke cycle, myself. :) You just (used to) have to carry a spare set of spark plugs...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

And new piston rings!

Advertisement