Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Who: Quadrophenia in Dublin and Belfast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Walt Jabsco

Does anyone know, if there are any pre or after parties, for this gig in Dublin, Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Everything In Its Right Place

I know this is a stupid question but does anyone know were pete and roger might be staying. Would love to try and get their autograph leaving their hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Day one soundcheck today

944819_10200708867397315_656625170_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

commander bobby pridden overseeing matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Two days to go. Cant wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭fungie

Anybody know what time they on at?

Roger Daltrey is on Radio Nova in the next few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

fungie wrote: »
    Anybody know what time they on at?

Doors 6.30pm

Vintage Trouble 7.30pm

The Who 8.30pm Sharp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Won tickets to this and can't go. Ragin doesn't come close. My favourite record by one if my favourite bands. Sickener.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

fantastic gig - absolutely brilliant. They rocked like it was 1973 - put many a younger band in the shade. Fingers crossed they'll be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 panjero

yeah absolutely brilliant gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Clacke

Not the best quality photos, but what a fantastic gig!

DSC_0179.JPG

DSC_0182.JPG

DSC_0181.JPG

DSC_0180.JPG

DSC_0188.JPG

The show was fantastic. Roger sounds and looks half his age, it is hard to imagine he is 69. Pete giving it loads as always. Quadrophenia sounded better live than on the album. The whole band were really tight. It was great to hear the hits aswell. Best time I've seen them I think. Hopefully it won't be the last, they certainly show no signs of stopping. It wasn't a complete sell out, some of the back sections looked a bit empty but I think thats to do with seats near the back costing the same as the front row. I don't think anyone was disappointed with it (Well maybe Dave Fanning who was sitting near me looking like he would rather be anywhere else, Edge from U2 was beside him having a great time though). Vintage Trouble were really really good, some bands could be in danger of being upstaged by them as a support act (no worries for the Who though). Hopping off stage and into the crowd, having people up dancing and singing, It's rare to see that in a support.

I really find it hard to pick any faults with the show, sound was prefect, they are sounding better than ever now. Hopefully we shall see them again soon.

Video looks and sounds great in HD

i have some videos that i am upoading slowly to youtube.....problem is sound is a little distorted.....but i got close to the action....right on the rails and was reaching out with the phone....i could feel the breeze of the swing mic during pinball wizard, that close.
    i wasnt zooming in, so what you see is what i seen...like the closeness of where i was to them.
    it was an exceptionally good gig and rogers voice was best i have heard since 2000 tour.
    you can chose 720p hd on these videos which will make them look better....they are just uploaded so may still be processing.....there are other great videos out there, better, but these i will treasure :)
    again...apologies for distorted sound.......do me a favour and let me know what you think if you watch them
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Amazing concert, these guys never let the side down. Place was almost full except for the rubbish seats at the very back. First time I've been in the O2 that I could see and hear everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

Great concert but what was pete saying about Dublin being a kind of practice for the rest of the tour and were people booing when he said that, I think people booed near me in block d but was it all over the arena?

...and he went on to say how they were too old to practice......point being the first gig of any tour for them is effectively getting into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Great concert but what was pete saying about Dublin being a kind of practice for the rest of the tour and were people booing when he said that, I think people booed near me in block d but was it all over the arena?

I didn't hear very many boo's tbh and I was in block D 3rd row. I think it was said tongue in cheek as it was the first date of the UK/IRL tour. Was a cracking gig though. Does anyone think this is the end of the road after this tour is finished? I get the feeling it will be. Was Rogers words "coming near the end of this road" a clue?

coolegrain wrote: »
    ...and he went on to say how they were too old to practice......point being the first gig of any tour for them is effectively getting into it.

I see, thought he was being a bit smart but then why would he bother, why would he insult his audience, he was really just having a laugh at himself

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

I thought the booing was when maggie thatcher or prince charles not sure which was on the video wall .
    Have to say the support act Vintage trouble have a great sound and a great front man.

• Advertisement

Legion wrote: »
    I didn't hear very many boo's tbh and I was in block D 3rd row. I think it was said tongue in cheek as it was the first date of the UK/IRL tour. Was a cracking gig though. Does anyone think this is the end of the road after this tour is finished? I get the feeling it will be. Was Rogers words "coming near the end of this road" a clue?

They were calling it a day in the 80's and 90's, I'm sure in 2 or 3 years time they will be sick of sitting at home and go on the road again but hitting their 70's now too might have a bearing, look at roger waters or the stones, great money in touring aswell not that they need it

I heard some 'Whoing' going one. Heard booing but that was cause of Tatcher.

I'm hoping a 50th anniversary tour next year and then it could be the end. They don't show any signs of being too old for it. I'd say they have one more in them. Hopefully anyway. Roger says himself he'll be singing into his 80s. I've read before that he needs to keep touring to keep his voice, if he takes a long break he could lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Fantastic gig, was my first time to see The Who live and i was blown away by the performance and energy by a band who could put other artists decades younger than them in the shade.

For a bloke of 69, Roger Daltrey shows now signs of slowing up, he has amazing presence and energy and his voice is still in cracking form. Pete Townsend equally the same, you know what you get from Pete, no bull****, just cracking guitar playing and his voice isnt too bad either.

Nice to see Pete Townsends brother as well, Simon, chip in with a few songs.

Another part of the gig i really enjoyed, was the homage in the large screens to Keith Moon (doing his piece on "Bell Boy") and John Entwistles amazing solo bass playing stint, what an unbelieveable bass player he was.

Some posters mentioned there was some booing in sections, where i was in section c, there was booing during one of the instrumentals that showed Maggie Thatcher on video and also it a funny irish sort of way there was booing that took place when Pete Townsend mentioned some sort of Irish ancestry through Co.Cork origins, which was immediately followed by a few hisses and booing, ah the old Dublin v Cork rivalry, you cant beat it!!! :D (Incidentally when Pete Townsend mentioned the Cork reference, 4 young lads a few rows in front of me jumped up shouting "Up The Rebels"!!!!, only promptly told by the bloke beside me "Sit the f**k down , youse Cork grouches"!!!) :P

Had a great view of the stage in section c and sound was fantastic, only slightly marred by the prat in the row behind me, who apart from not a having a f**king note in his head, proceeded to Ian Paisley style shout his way through the whole Quadrophenia performance, while at the same throwing in "we are mods, we are mods"!!!!!, was a bit of a dick.......

Also have to throw a shout out to Vintage Trouble , who were the warmup act, who put on a great soul, rhythm and blues performance. Lead singer Ty Tyler has an energy and voice to rival any great front man performing today, especially with the song "Pelvis Pusher" running off stage and into the sections, high fiving and moving for the women, my girlfriend was notably impressed..ahem!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Legion wrote: »

I got this impression as well, I found the rendition of "Tea & Theatre" as the last song very moving. I hope this isn't the case. A 50th Anniversary Tour with sporadic dates (like The Stones this year) just has to happen.

I loved when Pete said "thanks to all the female partners dragged along" - he couldn't be more wrong!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Reisman

Agree with all that's been said, absolutely fantastic show and a privelage to see those great songs being performed live. Has anybody got an links to reviews/articles of the gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I feel like I'm the only person who was a bit deflated by the performance...

I have to admit I hadn't listened to Quadrophenia, but I enjoyed the songs from it and from Love Reign O'er Me through their biggest hits, I was loving it... then they took it back down for Tea & Theatre and I assumed were leaving My Generation for the encore.

When they left the stage on such a downer of a song and having left out their biggest and most iconic song, I was actually half gutted, half angry. I thought Daltrey's lack of interaction took away from it a little too.

Overall, good gig but definitely not the blow-away experience I'd envisioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

wow...@jimmy bottlehead....couldnt disagree more.
    lets look at it this way....the who have a HUGE catalogue of songs, a lot well known which people will want to hear.....cant explain, substitute etc..i could go on......but they cant play them all......they played all of the quad album and six more songs....running to 2hrs 15mins.
    every time they play my generation people take the piss out of the die before i get old line...if i was them i'd be fed up with all that.
    also, the PERFECT ending was tea and theatre...what the song was saying and the note perfect delivery from daltrey who had been screaming his lungs out in parts over the previous 2+ hours said a LOT about them....that song above all on the night was spine-tingling.

daltrey interacted, he was happy....pete looked happy....i respect your opinion, but i could not pick any holes in that performance at all........admittedly, i am a life long who fan who may have got more from a who gig than a casual fan, but for me it was perfect and a memory i will cherish....it was perfect.

Sunny Evening. Beer was cold and met a lot from the old days.In we went and Drank a few more whilst tapping away.Down to the Grand Central and More Beers and the favourite tunes.WHAT A NIGHT!!!!!!

SUNDAY;Home chores/Sun/Kids HANGOVER:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Down to the Grand Central and More Beers and the favourite tunes.WHAT A NIGHT!!!!!!

fookin hot in there :)....at one point you wouldnt have squeezed 5 more people inside

• Advertisement

dougm1970 wrote: »
    fookin hot in there :)....at one point you wouldnt have squeezed 5 more people inside

Like a Sauna:eek:Lost a few pound,So worth it!:)

Advertisement