Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 to Pr question

Options
  • 28-01-2013 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Just looking for some advice and was hoping someone could help.
    I am currently on a 457 and I am hoping to eventually get Pr.
    I have been on a 457 for just less than a year.
    I am aware you generally need to be on a 457 for 2 years before you can apply for pr
    I also thought I heard that your employer can put your forward for Pr (employer sponsored pr) before the 2 years is up? Is this true?
    I have done some searching online but it seems that I will have to wait for the 2 years to pass...

Would appreciate any info anybody would have

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

You can apply for PR now if you want, only stipulation is that if you apply with less than 2 years you need a skills assessment. After 2 years in a role it is assumed that you would have proven your skills on the job at that stage and skills assessment is unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

How do find out which body is the correct one for certification in any particular field, who do IMMI refer you to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

catbear wrote: »
    How do find out which body is the correct one for certification in any particular field, who do IMMI refer you to?

depends on the occupation/ANZSCO code and the SOL refers you to the assessing body

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

mandrake04 wrote: »
    depends on the occupation/ANZSCO code and the SOL refers you to the assessing body

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf
    Great, thanks for that. Found that it was vetassess on schedule 2.
    Any idea about how long it currently takes them to issue certs as we're thinking as of going direct entry ENS as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

gazmc18 wrote: »
    I am aware you generally need to be on a 457 for 2 years before you can apply for pr
    That is the single biggest misconception on this forum lately.
    There no need to ever be on a 457 before PR, even with 2 years its simply means you skip the skills assessment.
    catbear wrote: »
    Great, thanks for that. Found that it was vetassess on schedule 2.
    Any idea about how long it currently takes them to issue certs as we're thinking as of going direct entry ENS as soon as possible.

It would depend on the assessing body. But prob 2-6 weeks depending on who you need to to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gazmc18

Mellor wrote: »
    That is the single biggest misconception on this forum lately.
    There no need to ever be on a 457 before PR, even with 2 years its simply means you skip the skills assessment.

It would depend on the assessing body. But prob 2-6 weeks depending on who you need to to.
    The occupation I got my 457 under is not on the sol list. Would that mean I will not be able to go from 457 to pr at any stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The 457 used the Consolidated SOL (or CSOL). And rather conveniently, so does the ENS visa. So unless the occupation was recently removed from the CSOL, you should qualify for PR via an ENS, If your employer will nominate you. You can do it now with a skills assessment, or without a skills assessment after 2 years on a 457 with nominating company

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gazmc18

Mellor wrote: »
    The 457 used the Consolidated SOL (or CSOL). And rather conveniently, so does the ENS visa. So unless the occupation was recently removed from the CSOL, you should qualify for PR via an ENS, If your employer will nominate you. You can do it now with a skills assessment, or without a skills assessment after 2 years on a 457 with nominating company
    Cheers mellor most appreciated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

Any idea how long it takes to get the PR Visa now? I'm also thinking about going down this route. What would the cost be if doing it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I am also going down this route very soon and don't have a lot of the information I am after. If anyone has any good documentation, I would be grateful.

I am basically wondering what happens with a defacto on your 457 if I go for ENS?.

• Advertisement

Feelgood wrote: »
    I am also going down this route very soon and don't have a lot of the information I am after. If anyone has any good documentation, I would be grateful.

I am basically wondering what happens with a defacto on your 457 if I go for ENS?.

She would just follow as a dependent if she has been living with you for at least the last 12 months and meets the health/character requirements.

ENS is basically same type of format as 457.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Feelgood wrote: »

Yeap, its quite straight forward as Mandrake mentions. Once she gets the all clear with the medical and police checks then that is all that is required really, once you can prove defacto relationship for over 12 months which in your case is easy as she was defacto on your 457.

The application will then be submitted as one, so once you get it, she gets it as well.

and you only have to pay one VAC for both of ya.

Advertisement