Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Let - Meeting EAs Preemtively?

Options
  • 28-01-2013 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

In no mad rush, but looking to change rental places in the next 3 months. Keen to wait for the right place. Have a set idea of where and what type of place.

I hear that many good lettings don't actually go up on Daft etc when they're changing tennants, and instead, they are passed on to the outgoing tennants friends (who know it's a great place), or the EA has a suitable new tennant in contact already, so the property is never actually advertised.

I'm not sure how true this is, but what I'm thinking of doing is dropping in to a couple of EA offices in the area I'm looking, introducing myself, giving them my budget and what I'm looking for, and see if they come to me with anything that's not on the market.

Would anyone have a steer on whether this is a good idea?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

In no mad rush, but looking to change rental places in the next 3 months. Keen to wait for the right place. Have a set idea of where and what type of place.

I hear that many good lettings don't actually go up on Daft etc when they're changing tennants, and instead, they are passed on to the outgoing tennants friends (who know it's a great place), or the EA has a suitable new tennant in contact already, so the property is never actually advertised.

I'm not sure how true this is, but what I'm thinking of doing is dropping in to a couple of EA offices in the area I'm looking, introducing myself, giving them my budget and what I'm looking for, and see if they come to me with anything that's not on the market.

Would anyone have a steer on whether this is a good idea?

Its not a bad idea & you have you nothing to lose by trying this option out but I wouldnt be so sure that this is always the case.

Alot of landlords rent their properties directly on places like daft.ie & more often that not offer better value for money as they dont have to incur the charges of an agent renting their property for them.

Also by giving the EA your budget you run the risk of them trying to rip you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

leonidas83 wrote: »

Its not a bad idea & you have you nothing to lose by trying this option out but I wouldnt be so sure that this is always the case.

Alot of landlords rent their properties directly on places like daft.ie & more often that not offer better value for money as they dont have to incur the charges of an agent renting their property for them.

Also by giving the EA your budget you run the risk of them trying to rip you off.

Yep, that last point is my worry.

Other than that though, it would only be a supplementary part of the main search, ie looking online myself.

Thanks for your points.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Yep, that last point is my worry.

Other than that though, it would only be a supplementary part of the main search, ie looking online myself.

Thanks for your points.

no bother, you should still go into different EA's, just tell dont tell your budget. Be specific in what you want from them but don tell them everything

Advertisement