Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elm Park-Castletroy

• 28-01-2013 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what this area is like to live in??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Well in my college days it was known as "Cardboard City".

Houses are old and a crap standard. If you're a student looking for a few wild parties it might not be too bad but there is much better houses around Castletroy.

What's your rough age and situation? Might be easier for us to recommend a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

I'd be careful where I bought/rented. Plenty of noise at night and very little sleep.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Well in my college days it was known as "Cardboard City".

Houses are old and a crap standard. If you're a student looking for a few wild parties it might not be too bad but there is much better houses around Castletroy.

What's your rough age and situation? Might be easier for us to recommend a place.

We're in our 20's, planning to hopefully buy a place this year. Doesn't need to be anywhere in particular but it would be a plus if we were near UL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah, I'd avoid it then I think.

Might be better to look around near CastleTroy College, Synott's and the Golf Links Road. Annacotty might be an option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GoOnYouDirt

Anacotty deffo a good option, I'd steer well clear of Elm Park. Wasn't always too bad, but when I was in college the year before last it was just nuts. Throwing furniture out the windows and setting it alight in the main green! Fairly dodgy to walk through at night as well! Anacotty is a lovely spot though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

It's fine...if you've no standards :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    Might be better to look around near CastleTroy College, Synott's and the Golf Links Road. Annacotty might be an option too.

I'm living in this area, it's nice. One thing I would say OP is make sure you've a good surveyor. Our gaff is built on swamp like, but sure what do you expect for a Celtic Tiger estate. I pity the landlord! My place (a little further up the road than Superquinn) in 20 minutes stroll to the arena and I don't have the longest legs so if you're a quick walker/driving you're grand.

PM if you've any questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I pity the landlord!
    Haha liar! No one pities a landlord :p

Elm park? I know someone who had unfortunate dealings with "triple digit convictions" type who was living there, but then again said character probably has a nicer gaff out in Murroe or something these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

OP,

Look for places in University Court. There was an apartment or two going the last I checked. We're here currently.

It's 5 mins from either gate of UL, but it's mostly taken up with professionals/Postgrad students. The apartments are of a much better quality than anything in Elm Park or the usual student retreats, but you won't be paying anything more.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

I ll avoid it and look somewhere in university court or further up the golf links road

CiaranMT wrote: »
    OP,

Look for places in University Court. There was an apartment or two going the last I checked. We're here currently.

It's 5 mins from either gate of UL, but it's mostly taken up with professionals/Postgrad students. The apartments are of a much better quality than anything in Elm Park or the usual student retreats, but you won't be paying anything more.

It's gotta be a house and we want to buy....
    There was one going in Elm Park that was ok looking at a pretty cheap price but we took a spin round to it and the area looked pretty.... bad:o
    Think we might have to increase our spending price if we want a nice area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

gg2 wrote: »
    It's gotta be a house and we want to buy....
    There was one going in Elm Park that was ok looking at a pretty cheap price but we took a spin round to it and the area looked pretty.... bad:o
    Think we might have to increase our spending price if we want a nice area.

There'd be a reason for that :pac: its a mental place around rag week, someone's car got flipped over on its roof a while back.

If you've a car then Annacotty or hell even Dooradoyle, its only 10 mins out the motorway, drive it every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The "locals" are loud during the day/evening running around screaming and the mothers screaming at them from the door with their lovely accents...
    You can also expect abuse off the kids as you pass them too..

On tuesdays and thursdays it can be fairly loud at night with students and house parties.. depends where the house is..

If you plan on living somewhere you'd be better off looking elsewhere...

Thanks guys for all the replies needless to say we will not be moving there! Went for a drive about last week and stumbled accross castlerock in castleconnell.... Anyone live here or know anything about the area? Seems really nice. Any regeneration going on there?

Should prob have been a bit more general with the thread title :-)

Advertisement