Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommned a good coverage Tinted Moisturiser / Blemish Balm cream

• 28-01-2013 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Hi All!

I've never used foundation for my daily coverage. I usually use it for nights out / special occasions.

Over the years I've used tinted moisturiser for coverage for work and at weekends etc. For the past 2 years I've been using B.B. cream which is fine until recently when I noticed that it doesn't give me a days coverage anymore.

For about an hour or two I look fresh. However, mid-morning I'm pale again. I've been using No. 7 tinted moisturiser over the years and now use Garnier B. B. cream. It's a lovely cream but, again, doesn't last the day. I've also used Nars Tinted Moisturiser which dries my skin I find.

Anyone got any suggestions, within a reasonable budget? Many thanks, p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I think you may need to look at your primer and setting powder because these have a huge effect on the longevity of your makeup.

I love Paese's matte base which leaves your skin silky smooth and helps keep shine at bay and makeup in place. Also I love Lush's powder to bits and have heard great things about Dermablend's setting powder.

I use these with Skin79 and I don't have to touch up my makeup all day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

I probably should have mentioned that I have a dry skin condition, that often is itchy too. This means I can't wear powders or primers etc... it irritates the bejaysus out my skin leaving me with red patches.

So, with that in mind, I'm just looking for a BB cream / tinted moisturiser. I can't physically wear anything else. Also, I'm a wash n' go type of person. Spending hours on my make-up is not my idea of fun!

Thanks
    (my daily skin routine has come down to E45 cream to cleanse and moisturise. My skin won't tolerate anything else).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I've used the Clinique, Garnier and La Roche Posay ones and I think the Clinique was the best out of those 3.

The Garnier didn't stay on long on me either and it looked oily, this being the first one out so I can't say anything about the oil free one and the colour wasn't great.

La Roche Posay I really was annoyed with because it's supposedly for sensitive skin and masquerades as a tinted moisturiser plus a few benefits and the first thing you notice about it is the fragrance as soon as you dispense some. It's very much there and nearly overpowering and you can tell it's bad when it makes your eyes water. So disappointed and I never wear it much because of that, it can't be good for sensitive skin. It's nice though despite this.

The Clinique is the best of these and has a nice high spf and uva rating too. Gives pretty good coverage probably more than your average tinted moisturiser and I can apply it either using hands or a brush and both work well. Seems to last about 6-7 hours or so with no setting and with some powder on top it'll be fine for the day and just some powder around my nose if I need it. If you don't use powder though I doubt the 6 hours or so would be enough.

Maybe if you can't powder over them or use a primer they might not be the best option because they're not that longwearing on their own.

Wow, thanks so much Victoria.

I used the Clinique foundation on Saturday, which I love, but now my skin is tight and dry 2 days later! I've applied my E45 cream. I hope it goes back to normal soon.

I had been using La Roche Posay Toleriane range up until a week ago. It started to itch quite bad. I'd be reluctant to use the tinted moisturiser because of this.

I agree about Garnier. It is fine for the first hour or two. However, it looks oily sometimes aswell. Then after a while it's fallen off my face!!

I might give the Clinique tinted moisturiser a go. What is the exact name of it? Thanks again for ALL the information.
    Victoria. wrote: »
    I've used the Clinique, Garnier and La Roche Posay ones and I think the Clinique was the best out of those 3.

The Garnier didn't stay on long on me either and it looked oily, this being the first one out so I can't say anything about the oil free one and the colour wasn't great.

La Roche Posay I really was annoyed with because it's supposedly for sensitive skin and masquerades as a tinted moisturiser plus a few benefits and the first thing you notice about it is the fragrance as soon as you dispense some. It's very much there and nearly overpowering and you can tell it's bad when it makes your eyes water. So disappointed and I never wear it much because of that, it can't be good for sensitive skin. It's nice though despite this.

The Clinique is the best of these and has a nice high spf and uva rating too. Gives pretty good coverage probably more than your average tinted moisturiser and I can apply it either using hands or a brush and both work well. Seems to last about 6-7 hours or so with no setting and with some powder on top it'll be fine for the day and just some powder around my nose if I need it. If you don't use powder though I doubt the 6 hours or so would be enough.

Maybe if you can't powder over them or use a primer they might not be the best option because they're not that longwearing on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I used to use Boot's Naturals tinted moisturiser. I have fairly dry skin and it was fine last summer and autumn but I needed a thin layer of normal moisturiser beneath it during winter. It lasted fairly well but it had excellent cover when combined with their powder on top, which won't be much use if you can't use powder. I'd suggest trying it, it's less than €5 so it's not much of a waste if it doesn't suit you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I use the L'Oreal 'Nude Magique' BB cream and find it great. I also suffer from dry skin so have to avoid powders but I find that this BB cream doesn't need any finishing touch. It has a slightly gritty texture so I reckon it exfoliates my skin a tad but I'm not sure if that's true or if I'm just convincing myself it is!

I went to Boots at lunchtime to check out the Boots Natural Collection Tinted Moisturiser and the L'Oreal Nude Magique BB Cream.

I like the look of the Boots cream. It's really good value. The L'Oreal is e15 for such a small tube! I did samples of both which I'm going to check at the end of the day to see which one lasted the longest.

As both of you have recommended these for dry skin I'm sure they're both great at moisturising. It's the coverage I'm worried about. I'm quite pale, never know which colour to go for (Nude, Fair, Beige!), and because of the dry skin I have red patches here and there on my face.

I'm finding it really difficult to find something that ticks ALL the boxes: moisturises for dry skin, good coverage for paler skintones AND covers blemishes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I think the Clinique one is called Age Defense BB Cream or something like that. It's not for mature skin or anything they can just make an anti aging claim for anything that provides sun protection.

If you're pale the palest one is pretty pale and that's the one that I go for and it's a pink toned product. Better for the average Irish skintone compared to the Asian ones because though can look ashy. I find that it'll cover the smaller marks left over from spots easily but you can still see freckles and stuff if you look closely, as in right on top of a mirror. I would say that it definitely has more coverage than your average tinted moisturiser but Estee Lauder doublewear it is not so if you have a lot to cover if the red patches are really intense I personally would use a concealer over those areas along with the Clinique one. I usually just use a few dabs of concealer and it shouldn't mess with your skin too much because concealer is just the same pigments in the BB cream just in a way more concentrated form to provide higher coverage. La Roche Posay do good concealer pens that can be used for sensitive skin and it won't make it worse. I love La Roche Posay which is why the fragrenced BB cream was such a shocker they usually wouldn't do that but another product that I love for dry patches is Cicaplast and you can get that as like a silicone gel or as a cream and I used it for dry patches on my face and neck and the gel one is the best lip balm ever. Its original use was for after chemical peels to allow the skin to heal and it provides all the correct things for that to occur and increases epidermal repair. Pretty much a miracle in a tube I'd definitely recommend that too I use it at night when my skin is going through a rough patch.

The Clinique one is a great product and provides really decent coverage for a BB cream but I don't want you to get it thinking it'll be a full coverage foundation and be disappointed because it's not and it's expensive. It's still sitting somewhere between a foundation and a tinted moisturiser but more on the foundation side of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I've used the estee lauder one for years and I love it. It is lovely and light but gives you nice coverage....smells lovely too. But to be honest I don't think tinted mousturisers are designed to last the day regardless of the brand. I've started using mine twice a day now but I still prefer using that to foundation and powder for normal daily use.

I should point out that the estee lauder one is kinda pricy but I wouldn't change from it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I've used the estee lauder one for years and I love it. It is lovely and light but gives you nice coverage....smells lovely too. But to be honest I don't think tinted mousturisers are designed to last the day regardless of the brand. I've started using mine twice a day now but I still prefer using that to foundation and powder for normal daily use.

I should point out that the estee lauder one is kinda pricy but I wouldn't change from it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

The Estee Lauder BB cream that was released last year is really good, you can build the coverage up on it too. It smells of cucumber which I like! It is very expensive though €40 so maybe one to look for in the duty free.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

I've taken all your suggestions on board. I think I'll steer clear of Estee Lauder as I've tried it before with poor results.

I guess I was asking more for a tinted moisturiser for people with problem skin such as itchiness / dry patches etc. I thought there might have been an E45 Tinted Moisturiser or an Elave BB Cream!!

Now THAT would be perfect! Again, thanks for responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Pippy, for the dry red patches you mentioned I would really recommend getting a gentle exfoliant (I use the Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant) and using Rose Water after cleansing. You can get Rose water for 2 or 3 euro a bottle in Boots. I used to get dry, red patches across my cheeks, especially in cold weather, and this really cleared them up. I haven't had any redness in over a year since I started using rose water.

For BB cream I like the Bobbie Brown one. It's dear enough, about €30-something I think but it suits my skin tone and I only need a smallish amount to do my whole face.

Advertisement