Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help choosing a GPU

Options
  • 28-01-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

This seems like the appropriate place to get an answer to my Q:
    I recently asked over in another section about building a new pc, I'm going with an intel build which ye can see here posted by marco_polo:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056862738

I won't be getting a GPU for another 4-6 months...maybe more, so I've got time to save up, I'll def be playing GTA V and BF3 on the pc @1080p on my TV, so what card is there out now/coming soon in the E2-300 range that will max out a game like BF3 with no problems at all?
    ideally this card would run bf3 with hardly any work needed and would be 'future-proof', I know it's a big ask, is it better to go SLI/Crossfire or get one badass card?
    I'm a newb, so help! please!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Well in 4-6 months, the current crop of cards (AMD's 7xxx and Nvidia's 6xx series) will be getting replaced so you'd be best off waiting to see what the next generation brings as opposed to buying a card now, although any of the current mid-high end cards (so 660Ti from NV and 7870 from AMD) will play BF3 fine.

About the SLI/Crossfire question, always go with one single card instead of two lower power ones. SLI and XFire tend to have some issues that you dont get with a single card, and two cards put out more heat/noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

Thanks for that bit of info man!
    I'll keep well away until then so and I'll wait for a couple of months.
    May I ask how you know the current cards will be getting replaced in 4-6months? Is there somewhere to keep uptodate with that kind of stuff or does it just happen around that time every year?

Thanks for that bit of info man!
    I'll keep well away until then so and I'll wait for a couple of months.
    May I ask how you know the current cards will be getting replaced in 4-6months? Is there somewhere to keep uptodate with that kind of stuff or does it just happen around that time every year?

Only seeing that you replied now, sorry mate ! Generally graphics cards get replaced around this time every year, so its fairly predictable (although actually release dates and announcements are different things :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

AMD has the 8000 series ready to go. They are just trying to sell off all remaining 7000 stock at the moment. Hence all the great 3-6 free games deals at the moment.

BloodBath wrote: »
    AMD has the 8000 series ready to go. They are just trying to sell off all remaining 7000 stock at the moment. Hence all the great 3-6 free games deals at the moment.

Heard a rumor today they wont launch any more cards in 2013. Lemme dig up the article.

Edit : http://videocardz.com/39414/amd-confirms-no-radeon-hd-8000-series-until-q4-2013

That being said, the 7xx series shouldnt be that amazing so AMD really dont need to rush out the 8K series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Well aside from the NV fanboys. The 7000 series offers the best options at pretty much any price point at the moment so I can see why they would hold off on the 8000 series.

You would be crazy not to buy an amd card at the moment.

Maybe they will wait for NV to show their hand first this time around.

Advertisement