Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting my mam a dress

• 28-01-2013 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi everyone,
    I am writing to you because I am trying to get my Mam a dress for a wedding we have coming up in August.

She is a size 16-18 and she doesnt like anything tight on her stomach due to health problems. She likes a dress with a 'swing to it' and she will wear a long cardigan with the dress. She is a very hippy woman (As in big hips). She doesnt like showing her legs due to them being bruised from operations.

She will wear stockings with the dress if she has to. We are in the Dublin-Kildare area and I want to help her get a dress now before we start to go into panic station. Prefarenly nothing pricey.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Have you looked up boohoo.com? I find them great, before you buy read the reviews if Any because they tell you a lot. They go up to a size 18.

Maybe try asos curve as well?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lalalalove

I would prefer to get her a dress in a shop nothing online as she has a very strange body shape :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

I wouldn't go with boohoo for someone older wanting a lovely dress for a wedding, one possibly needing a bit of structure to the shape. Boohoo clothes while often lovely are usually very cheap light fabric, and can be very different in real life than they are online.

I'd try Debenhams anyway, good place to start with lots of options.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Arnotts is a good bet, they have LK Bennet and Hobbs (both go up to size 18), as well as other brands that would be suitable. House of Fraser in Dundrum is definitely worth a try as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

the House of Fraser have a good sale on at the minute with some nice brands that would suit mammy's - seen some really good value dresses on there (and might just have pup in a little order oops):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 lalalalove

House of Fraser is hard to get to for me unfortunatley Im more Kildare!
    Thanks so much for all your suggestions so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

From my experience of shopping with my mother for weddings I would recommend Pamela Scott. There is one in the Blanchardstown centre that we usually hit when there's an event coming up! Debenhams is also out there and she has also gotten outfits in the concessions there; I forget the names but worth a browse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭lulubenny

I would be more inclined to direct you to independent boutiques in your local area - from experience (I work part-time as an image consultant) most of these deal with very good quality labels that would offer a good selection for the type of outfit you are hoping to find for your mum. Plus I find most of these labels go up to a size 16-18.

Sorry, I'm not from anywhere around that area so can't give you any recommendations but good luck in your search!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

lalalalove wrote: »

what about Kildare village? some nice shops there like coast and lk bennet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

lalalalove wrote: »

If you buy online delivery is free if you spend over £50 - a courier delivers it and will pick up any returns for you - not sure if this would be the case in Kildare but I don't see why not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement