Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland - Business on line

Options
  • 28-01-2013 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

Does any one else who uses bank of irl find their on line banking system a totally unuser friendly system? The whole thing seems to be wraped up in the equivilant of digital red tape. You cant make payments without "digital certs" that have to be set up on one computer and then passowrds etc have to be sent out. Its the same for creating standing orders and regular payments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Nothing wrong with digital certs, every proper system uses these (incl ROS).

However the BoI system as a whole is totally rubbish, and they even charge you e15 per month for it (you may have free fees at the moment). I closed my BoI business account because of this and now use a UB personal account instead. Much better system and totally free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

AIB's online business banking is a lot more user-friendly, though it's not without its flaws ..

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

srsly78 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with digital certs, every proper system uses these (incl ROS).

However the BoI system as a whole is totally rubbish, and they even charge you e15 per month for it (you may have free fees at the moment). I closed my BoI business account because of this and now use a UB personal account instead. Much better system and totally free.

I agree. Going to close it next week. Tapping on the mouse or keyboard to generate a cert is ridiculous.
    .... in this day and age.

No it's normal, for technical reasons. Not all computers are guaranteed to have dedicated entropy generation hardware (most do these days tho). Hilariously they only support pcs running IE tho... so this is a throwback from being written over 10 years ago.

Even then the random numbers generated by computers aren't reliably random enough - so "to be sure to be sure" they use kb/mouse movement.

You only have to do this once so it's not inconvenient. I did this YEARS ago and never had to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I was talking to a guy who works in BOI IT, seemingly BOL was only ever designed for 200 odd customers, they thought their big corporate customers would want it and no one else, even the infrastructure it sits on is creaking, nothing will be done with it though until they get SEPA sorted first, and the SEPA deadline is 01/12/14

• Advertisement

Yeah that sounds about right. It has lots of features you are forced to use - which could be good for a megacorp with many users. Makes it awful to use if you a small business with a single user though.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

BOI-BOL is the most un-friendly I have used. As soon as my free time is up I will be using 365. much easier, and has a great app for android, I use it weekly for my other business account.

They won't let you use 365 for a business account, you are pretty much forced to move to another bank. Using a personal account for a company is "against their terms and conditions" apparently, so make sure you don't try to do anything naughty like that :p

You are better off going to Ulster Bank if you have to open a new account anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

With microsoft ending the support of windows xp soon i tried to login to BOL on a laptop running windows 8 with IE11 about an hour ago and it still hasnt loaded up yet. I loaded up to date java just before and the site said it was right. Anyone else have this issue or is this just the prehistoric website that is banking on line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

BoI outsourced their IT years ago. It made no difference, before and since, it was and has always been a disaster. It's not you, it's THEM. The arrogance of many financial institutions' IT demands is mind-numbing, with an insistance that they control user IDs, password conventions, no changes, auto-logouts, etc. If I could move from BoI I would! (Rant over, but I still do not feel any better!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

I stuck the boot into them a few weeks back. For my trouble I got 2 months free business banking on line. I got to talk to somebody who assured me there are big changes afoot.

Tip: Anybody who ever rings them because their systems do not work should make a complaint, ask to speak to a supervisor and ask for a refund on their months fees.

If enough people do this they will get a move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

BoI outsourced their IT years ago. It made no difference, before and since, it was and has always been a disaster. It's not you, it's THEM. The arrogance of many financial institutions' IT demands is mind-numbing, with an insistance that they control user IDs, password conventions, no changes, auto-logouts, etc. If I could move from BoI I would! (Rant over, but I still do not feel any better!)

We are slowly moving our business away from them but the choice of other banks is not exactly great.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Just moved to aib from Boi. The pain of business online is over. Two years free banking also helped!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tarmon

I'm having the same problem as Neris. Trying to log into boi business on line using a windows 8 laptop but it just says "Business on line loading please wait" when I use IE.
    I did have it working on Avant but I updated that to the latest version last night and since then I get the "Business on line loading please wait" message. Totally pi**ed off with this and how difficult it is to just make a payment to a supplier. Anyone know any way that I can get it working?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tarmon

If anyone else is having the same problem as me (just getting the message "Business on line loading please wait") a way to fix it is to add boi-bol to the system compatibility list in internet explorer. In the tools menu of IE go to System Compatibility View Settings and add the boi-bol website to the list. It should work then.

Advertisement