Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New lense for canon 1000D

Options
  • 28-01-2013 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I have a canon 1000d with the kits lens (18-55), a canon 50mm f/2.8 and a canon 55-250 lense but I am now looking to get a new lense to replace my kit 18-55, mainly as the kit lense is not the greatest when it comes to low light and with a recently arrived daughter it tends to be alot of low light scenarios when I am taking pics of her. I try to avaoid using the built in flash as it stuns her and we loose that moment of the smile to one of a bemused look :(

The options for the replacement I am looking at are
    • Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM Lens for Canon
    • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Asp. Lens for Canon
    Another thought that just popped into my head is maybe having a flash and aiming it towards the ceiling? would that prevent the change from a smile to a startled look?

Anyways what are peoples thoughts on the above in terms of a replacement for the standard 18-55 canon lense?? My Budget is approx 300 so that is why I choose the 2 above.

Regards
    Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That's a great price on the Tamron, where is that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

That's a great price on the Tamron, where is that from?

That was from a site called onestop-digital but I have just spotted they are hong kong based so might be best to avoid as you'd have to pay duty on top of that and can't be 100% sure of quality.. :(

so i'll edit the post above to remove the price..

Ah, they're fine. They refund the charges too, if you're caught... I've bought from them a few times with no extra charges.
    ** VAT/GST Free Guarantee only applies to orders shipped to Australia, France, Ireland, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland and United Kingdom. For these countries, we will reimburse all import charges in full if incurred, namely VAT, GST, import duty and courier handling charge.
    http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=5

That lens has great reviews, had my eye on one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

been doning some more research and the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Lens for Canon seems to be another option for slightly more money..

tommycahir wrote: »
    been doning some more research and the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Lens for Canon seems to be another option for slightly more money..

That's what I went with, but I'm still keen to try the Tamron. It's reported to be very sharp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Which lens did you go for in the end?

I'm tempted by the sigma 17-70 as a main lens, the new version of it seem to get a decent review. Not sure where to buy it since I don't know if it's the new or old version being sold?

Advertisement