Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

putting chuck wagon on side of road

Options
  • 28-01-2013 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭

hi, i was hoping that someone on here could tell me whether i'd get run by the council for setting up a chuck wagon. the road i was thinking of already has a guy selling timber in the lay by for a few years with no problems.
    half a mile further up is another lay by that would be perfect for the chuck wagon
    i know i'd have to get hse approval etc for the trailer but i dont want to spend 5 to 10k and then have council assholes out on day 2 threatening me with the sun moon n stars. even if they come out could i drag it out for a year or 2? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Its not a chuck wagon but a similar business. Some county councils you can get a casual trading licence and this will cover you. I looked into two areas recently and when I contacted the local council they said they didnt issue trading licences for where I was looking for, when I questioned them on people selling potatoes and another selling firewood and bits I was told that if produce is grown locally they can sell at the side of the road otherwise you are breaking the law.

I asked her about people who would take the risk and break the law and start trading and she said the council wont do anything but you might find yourself being moved on by the guards.

I didnt persue either of these 2 locations as I wouldnt want any hassle but each local county council is different but I have found thef very easy to deal with and they tell you straight out everything you need to know.

Your best to contact the county council in question and ask them straight out. Apart from that you could always book slots in farmers markets, car boot sales etc.... and trade there.

Advertisement