Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get over extremely nervousness while cycling

Options
  • 28-01-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

I am a newbie to cycling and went out on my first cycle (road bike) Sunday morning weather was OK at the time. I was cycling mostly on a wide hard shoulder so the traffic didn't bother me at all. My only concern was the feeling of the bike when I was going down very slight hills (well I wouldn't even call them hills, slight slopes really) I just felt that I could fall off anytime, I could feel every little thing through the tyres (they may have been over pumped) which did bother the whole cycle but especially when I was going down slopes, I wasn't traveling at any speed and I had to brake the whole time. Will this anxious feeling go over time? Is it normal to feel this way? Any advice on how to overcome this feeling? I really want to start competing in duathlons and want to have the ability to do so within a few months or so.
    Please help!!!
    :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It'll pass. You need confidence in yourself and confidence in your bike, and if you're new to cycling then you're going to have neither.

Especially cycling on a main road with fast traffic (>60km/h), you're going to feel very exposed compared to how you feel travelling in your car. It passes with time. Up your mileage on narrower R roads rather than riding on N-roads. When you're riding on the flat, learn to ride without having your hands covering the brakes. This will help you gain confidence riding downhill without constantly feathering the brakes.

You will eventually crash, and you will lose a certain amount of confidence, but then it will come back.

Road bikes have hard tyres and you can feel every lump and bump in the road. You get used to this too :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You'll be fine in time. Just keep cycling and you'll start to feel less nervous and more accustomed to how the bike handles. I remember when I started cycling, I hadn't been on a bike since I was 12 or so and cycling in traffic terrified me. Within weeks it was second nature.

On the tyres front, pump them up to recommended pressure (you'll see a range on the side wall). If you're a big fella go near the max, if you're a lighter fella, you can go nearer the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

OP: How to get over extremely nervousness while cycling
    seamus wrote: »
    You will eventually crash

:rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

seamus wrote: »
    You will eventually crash

And probably die.

In order to keep thoughts of catastrophe at bay, I like to focus on the little things that are keeping me safe. The heftiness of my quick releases and the solidity of my stem bolts, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

You'll get used to it with practice.

You're not thinking of doing the first few A4 open races this year by any chance?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you're wearing runners, get some clipless pedals and compatible shoes.

You'll feel much more secure whilst actually riding.

...provided that you don't fall over whilst trying to unclip.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

Just get the miles in, practice makes perfect and all of that.

Buy an OS map for your area and pick out quiet routes far from the maddening crowd, at least to begin with.

Take some time to consider how you ride and where you position the bike on the road, many beginners ride as far left as they can. It may be counter-intuitive but it's safer to keep out from the kerb/verge as drivers are forced to slow down and overtake properly. Keep out about 2 or 3 feet unless you are intentionally letting a driver past on a narrow road, maybe more if you are dealing with traffic islands or other obstructions as it will discourage drivers from squeezing between you and the island which is a scary experience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

iamjm wrote: »
    I wasn't traveling at any speed and I had to brake the whole time. Will this anxious feeling go over time? Is it normal to feel this way? Any advice on how to overcome this feeling?

When I moved from a flat bar hybrid to a drop bar road bike, I found the descending pretty scary to start with. For me what really helped was to stay low and in the drops for all downhill bits. Closer to the ground, so better balanced, and a firmer position on the controls on bumpy ground. Clipless pedals do also help a lot, but they also take getting used to, and are more likely to add to you anxiety in the short term. You'll definitely get more comfortable with descending with more hours in the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Also, when you do crash, very often it's not particularly painful. I've had worse scrapes playing hurling. Your helmet is your best friend too. Always remember that! You can hit your head pretty hard and not feel a thing because of it: if you do crash you'll be filled with quiet amazement and understand me completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I got myself a road bike about four years ago. Before that I used one of the kids old bikes for going to the train, shops etc etc. So I was quite comfortable in traffic etc. On the new bike though, I definitely felt a bit wobbly to start. Hard narrow tyres and maybe a bit higher in the saddle. I could feel every bump in the road. Descending was tricky and I used the brakes a lot (I'm still pretty crap at it but I am confident that I can now get get down the hills safely albeit slower than others). I found the best way to get used to it was simply to get out on the bike and cycle around. Early mornings are usually quieter. Practice a bit of speeding up and braking on the flat to try get used to the feel of it. Try some turns etc - you'll quickly get used to it and don't forget it's great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Have a go at mountain biking OP (you can rent bikes at trail centres like Ballyhoura and Ballinastoe). Mountain biking is a great way to improve your bike handling skills which is good for confidence. More importantly, you'll definitely crash but more than likely you'll land on mud or in some bushes or something else soft so you'll probably be ok. Once you've spent awhile falling off your mountain bike you get kind of used to it and road bike crashes don't seem as scary any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Some advice that doesn't involve crashing!

Confidence will come with time and experience...just like many other things. You don't need to start by descending at 70 km/h, but as stated above, as you cycle more, you'll get a better feel for the bike and its handling. Just go with it and do it and the confidence will come bit by bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

My only concern was the feeling of the bike when I was going down very slight hills (well I wouldn't even call them hills, slight slopes really) I just felt that I could fall off anytime,
    :confused::confused:
    You should feel a sense of balance between you, the handlebars and the saddle. This might take some practice in getting the right posture, or you might need help with height adjustment. Think of the bike as a tool, you control it and not the other way around. Practice standing up a fraction when going over bumps.

If you think you're going to descend too quickly, try to bleed off the speed before it gets too much for you, by gently braking and then releasing them so that they don't lock up.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And probably die.
    Probably? Death is as certain as taxes ...

But OP, to give you some reassurance on this, there are very few cycling fatalities in Ireland - it's been no more than a dozen or so in each of the last few years. Cycling is actually a very safe pastime - get the miles in to build your confidence. If and when you do crash it will hopefully not be too serious and you will be straight back on the bike again. The benefits of cycling far outweigh the risks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Jesus lads the op is trying to build his confidence on the bike, and some of you are telling him he's gonna die. I doubt that's what he wants to hear.

OP. As some of the other posts said, just get out on the bike, take your time and you will build confidence quickly. Joining a club is a great idea as it will teach you how to ride in a group, which is much easier than solo cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

+1
    Get into a group and do what the cyclist ahead of you does. The fastest descent I have ever been involved in was sucking Kelly's rear wheel and matching his speed and line.
    I also agree that mountain biking is great to give you bike handling skills as well as fitness.

Before each spin go over your bike, see and check every part and know that it will not fail. Then grow your confidence on straight descents before tackling fast corners.

I agree it can be scary, but if it were easy sure everyone would be doing it.... Grow at a good rate, and test yourself but don't just jump straight into situations which you can not manage as you may not only hurt yourself but others too.

Also perhaps belt around a carpark and get used to the feel, the brakes etc etc...

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Things I found that helped me:

1. Loosen up, practice taking one hand off the handle bar at a time and or checking over your right shoulder (this has the sneaky added benefit of improving your balance)

2. Reassure yourself, show yourself that you can stop at will and remember to feather (lightly touch your brakes repeatedly rather than jamming on), get used to gliding around at very low speed so that you don't get nervous when coming to a stop.

3. Be aware, look at least 100m ahead of you and figure out what to do before you get there.

4. Use the bike. Practice coming to a stop and dismounting in drops and you'll find you feel way better descending on them, use the lowest part of the brake levers for more leverage. If you feel out of a control on a descent try going into a harder gear to re-establish power and therefore control.

Also check your bike fit and brake set up to ensure they're within optimal bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 iamjm

Thanks to you all for your advice, it's nice to know that some of you have been in the same situation. I'll head out first chance I get weather permitting. I just hope that my first fall won't be too bad, I must say that it's not a nice feeling knowing that you’re going to fall off at some point. The bumpy roads will definitely take some getting used to I think. I thought that I would be safer starting on roads with big hard shoulders because if I did fall off (or when I do eeeek!) there would be a reduced chance that my fall would affect other traffic.
    Spyderski, I never heard of an A4 race until you mentioned it I might try one, nothing like having a goal to reach. My real intention is to compete in duathlons and one day maybe triathlons but my swimming has to improve greatly first and of course my cycling.
    Thanks Piston that sounds like good advice!
    Oh and by the way I’m a women
    Thanks again for your all your advice I really appreciate it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I just hope that my first fall won't be too bad, I must say that it's not a nice feeling knowing that you’re going to fall off at some point.

Might never happen. The only falls I've had over the last couple of years since getting back on the bike have been the classic gob****e learning to use clipless pedals fall (i.e. slow static fall with a round of applause from onlookers), and falling foul of a narrow cattle grid towing my daughter around the Mayo greenway. I'm not planning on falling again any time soon, I'll leave that to the young lads and lasses.

+1 on the point made about doing some off road cycling to help you skills, even a few crappy gravel strew roads and semi-paved bohereens make any half decent road seem much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

You will eventually crash, and you will lose a certain amount of confidence, but then it will come back.

I hope your right :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Depending on where you live, choose roads that get very little traffic, so you can nearly have the road to yourself to get used to your new mean machine in comfort.
    If you live in a constantly busy area, I don't know if it's possible for you to get out early in the morning before the traffic starts up?
    Sunday mornings are good for having the roads to yourself (so I've heard anyway, I never manage get up early enough to know first hand).

I got a new road bike a few months back and it does take getting used to, and is scarey.
    Go slow, is another bit of advice I'd offer, enjoy the ride, the movement of the bike, the wheels and the momentum of you cycling it wherever you want to go.
    You're the one cycling the bike not the other way around.

Oh, another thing - if you live in Dublin, Orwell Wheelers (a cycling club in Dublin) run a women only 'training' session up in Phoenix park, the last one was cancelled due to the bad weather - but maybe sign up to the mailing list to join on the next session?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

It's really important that you don't start every cycle with the thought of crashing.
    Imagine a boxer getting in the ring and every time just thinking I hope I don't get hit or a runner thinking I hope I don't pick up an injury. You'll drive yourself mad!
    I have been cycling 'in lycra' for a number of years now and though I have had a few slow speed spills I have yet to crash, not because I was careful not to crash but because I was determined to go the distance, if that meant putting the foot down and going as fast as possible or slowing I did it to keep going, not to avoid a crash. Just cycle how you think us best and you'll be fine.

OP I don't know if you drive but would you start every spin with 'i must concentrate on not crashing' you would be so stressed you would either crash within minutes or give up driving.
    Relax and learn how to use your bike properly, your confidence will grow and before you know it you'll be passing people out on the descents.
    Most important, relax and enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

There may be lots of people on here who are just afraid to mention that they've not crashed (yet) for fear of tempting fate.

No not from Dublin but thanks for the suggestion, I don't think I'll join any club yet, I would like to be a bit more confident and I'm a bit of an individual sports person when it comes to running and I think I'll be the same for cycling, well for now anyhow. I'm looking forward to my next spin out now thanks to you all. I'll try my hardest to relax and enjoy it.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

I'm going to jinx myself now but I cycle around 5,000 miles a year and my last off was about 4 years ago when I caught myself out on black ice. It can happen but falling off shouldn't be a regular occurrence in day to day cycling unless you're doing something wrong.

Great to know Piston! From what I am hearing (or reading should I say) it's all about skill, technique and confidence and I hope to have all in the near future, fingers crossed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

There have been a few threads recently about 'balance bikes' which could be helpful.

Alternatively, you could take the opposite route and use the 'flooding' method of addressing your fears by having a go on a fixed wheel bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I don't think I'll join any club yet, I would like to be a bit more confident and I'm a bit of an individual sports person when it comes to running and I think I'll be the same for cycling, well for now anyhow.

There is a big difference between solo and group cycling as you get a huge benefit of shelter from the wind in a group allowing you to go further and faster than you'll manage solo. Much greater than you'll get when running. You also get the benefit of guidance / advice from more experienced cyclists as well as seeing new routes that you would never have thought of travelling.

OTOH, there's nothing like cruising through the countryside on your own with nobody to answer to and the possibility of just going anywhere.

Enjoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I agree with piston, I've probably 30k up with only one fall which was as result of a guy coming down in front of me in a race. A lot of stories on here about falling invole words like, ice, mountains, slippery conditions, 50kph, corners! If are competent and have some common sense then it should be a fairly rare occurrence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

as others have said a little mtbing will give you much better bike handling abilities, great for the confidence

Advertisement