Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get over extremely nervousness while cycling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was the first person to mention crashing, but it's worth noting that I've only ever crashed on a commute. You take more risks on a commute than you would otherwise (e.g. I'd commute in icy conditions, but I'd wait for the ice to clear before going for a leisure spin) and you spend more timing mixing directly with traffic.

The amount of crashes which occur on leisure cycles would be extremely low. If you do fall off, it will most likely be something which hurts your pride more than your body as you hit a kerb at 5km/h because you were trying to get your foot to clip in, or you flop over because you couldn't clip out.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

cycling in that wind up on military road on sunday afternoon tested every last bit of bicycle handling i've ever learned! probably the most insane and dangerous crosswinds i've ever experienced... my advice would be to just take it slowly and easy at first, confidence will come through experience

• Registered Users Posts: 13 iamjm

Hi All,

Just to let you know I went out twice the weekend for two 20K cycles, short trips to start, I was still a bit anxious but I have to say I loved it I couldn't wait to get back out Sunday. I now know where I was going wrong when I went out for my first spin I kept looking down at the wheel and road directly in front of me instead of a distance (50m) ahead of me, the bumps and feeling of the road wasn't an issue at all for me when I did this.

I would like to say thanks again for all your advice you were a great help!!
    :D:D

Advertisement