Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My home network and the devices connected

Options
  • 28-01-2013 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Have a question for those that might know whats going on here.
    I have UPC coming into a netgear router. On my home network I use the wireless the whole time and on is 2 laptops, playstation 3 and a raspberry pi. Also, various ipods etc that the kids use.
    Well, the laptops always connect up to wireless but for some strange reason, the kids are always turning the router off then on again for the playstation to work, or sometimes for the ipods to connect.
    Why is this. My own router IP to the outside world usually remains static. The port forwarding is all ok.
    Any ideas or does this happen to anyone else here?

Cheers

Rich

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There are lots of reports here of consoles not working well with the router UPC provide, but you say you have a Netgear? Is this your own added after the UPC one?

If so then it will be impossible for a console to work well as you are routing twice (double nat). Consoles use plug and play, this allows them open whatever port they need. When the console opens a port on your router using plug and play, it is blocked by the second router. You really only want one router doing all routing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Hmmm, I see your point ok but I only have one router. It goes back to 2003. Its a netgear WNR200. Actually I'm quite happy with it.
    I think I sorted the problem anyway since your reply although I still awaiting notification from the kids. They are only allowed to play it on a wednesday during school week !!
    But I do know what you mean. I dident realise that the Pnp was for this reason. I was wondering how the PS3 console actually allowed the users to talk over the game given tha tI never did any port forwarding on the router. I see now though. Only looking at this whole stuff last week. I am in electronics but was always just too lazy to read up on it properly... I kinda had a jist of it but only 80% if you get me..? I was the purchase of the Ras' pi to force me into re-education..lol
    So anyway, I set up a static ip on the PS3. Some other setting were a bit dubious too. I had the wrong address for the DNS also though not sure this really matters a whole lot. My ip generally remains the same the year round and never changes much.
    Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Rich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Dont suppose this is the right place for asking about a FREE registry cleaner and fixer. Not one of these ones that promises you the wonders of the world then only says it'll fix 100 and you've to buy the package. Its such a scam. I just end up deleting the whole thing again. I have CCleaner but I'm not sure it cleans the registery entries too well.
    Just want to speed up a laptop I have, its gotton pretty slow.

Cheers in advance

Rich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm always weary of registry cleaners, ccleaner is what I recommend as it isn't too drastic

Advertisement