Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feline Hyperaesthesia?

• 28-01-2013 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi

Ok i may just be suffering from cat owner hypochondria but i seen a moderator mentioning the above condition on another thread and when i looked into it it sounds very much like my older kitten Ziggy.

When we got him about 5 months ago (he was abotu 4 months old at the time) we noticed his pupils were dialated a lot..
    He absolutely Loves his food.. he will literally grab it out of our hands or even reach out to grab it off the plate if i am carrying him away.

He has moments of darting all over the place as if he is chasing something/someone else is chasing him...
    He focuses on spots as if he can see something and then will run away again..
    He is Very vocal.. he is always 'shrilling' away to himself and growls sometimes when he is eating (yet only seems to do this when the other kitten is anywhere near which i can understand)..

I have def noticed his whole back kind of rippling but it doesn't seem to be brought on by touch etc?

The odd time when i sit down next to him and stroke his back he will give me a loud sort of meow' but will keep brushing up/nudging my hand so i never would have presumed it was anyway uncomfortable/painful for him.

He is the most affectionate cat i have ever seen,.. When he isnt darting around he is on our laps as if he were a baby..

We used to worry about his random behaviour however lately have just been accepting thats how he is but now i am a bit concerned! :/

He was sick a few months back and blood tests were done so not sure if anything would have been noticed or if they would even show for this condition..

If my cat had this would they be in any pain?

He does not seem to be attacking/biting himself.

Do cats live with this without medication?

The last thing i want to do is have to put him on medication (nothing to do with costs).

We will be bringing him for a check up in the next week where i can obviously ask the question but am i overracting? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi OP,
    A lot of what your kitten is doing sounds like normal kitten behaviour, but as with any of these things, we cannot conjecture here until you see your vet.
    I will close this thread now, but when you get an update from your vet, pm one of the mods and we'll reopen this for you to update.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Dublin21 wrote: »
    Hi

Ok i may just be suffering from cat owner hypochondria but i seen a moderator mentioning the above condition on another thread and when i looked into it it sounds very much like my older kitten Ziggy.

When we got him about 5 months ago (he was abotu 4 months old at the time) we noticed his pupils were dialated a lot..
    He absolutely Loves his food.. he will literally grab it out of our hands or even reach out to grab it off the plate if i am carrying him away.

He has moments of darting all over the place as if he is chasing something/someone else is chasing him...
    He focuses on spots as if he can see something and then will run away again..
    He is Very vocal.. he is always 'shrilling' away to himself and growls sometimes when he is eating (yet only seems to do this when the other kitten is anywhere near which i can understand)..

I have def noticed his whole back kind of rippling but it doesn't seem to be brought on by touch etc?

The odd time when i sit down next to him and stroke his back he will give me a loud sort of meow' but will keep brushing up/nudging my hand so i never would have presumed it was anyway uncomfortable/painful for him.

He is the most affectionate cat i have ever seen,.. When he isnt darting around he is on our laps as if he were a baby..

We used to worry about his random behaviour however lately have just been accepting thats how he is but now i am a bit concerned! :/

He was sick a few months back and blood tests were done so not sure if anything would have been noticed or if they would even show for this condition..

If my cat had this would they be in any pain?

He does not seem to be attacking/biting himself.

Do cats live with this without medication?

The last thing i want to do is have to put him on medication (nothing to do with costs).

We will be bringing him for a check up in the next week where i can obviously ask the question but am i overracting? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement