Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone Warehouse

Options
  • 28-01-2013 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi, Im just looking for some advice about an issue I am having with Carphone Warehouse.

I purchased an iPhone in August(i think), and after two months it was clearly faulty. text wouldnt send or be recieved. I brought it into them and they fixed the problem which took two weeks.
    The end of November, the same thing happened again, this time it kept freezing all of a sudden. I brought it in and it was fixed again.

Now last week the calls have stopped working, when someone rings me or I ring them, my microphone doesnt work.
    So I brought it into them the next day and they took it off to be fixed. Just got a phone call from them to tell me that the phone is not under their warranty anymore and its up to the insurance company to have it repaired which will cost 40euro... I paid 160euro for the insurance! For what I do not know now!!

Am I entitled to a replacement or a total refund?

Its getting so so annoying!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Hi, Im just looking for some advice about an issue I am having with Carphone Warehouse.

I purchased an iPhone in August(i think), and after two months it was clearly faulty. text wouldnt send or be recieved. I brought it into them and they fixed the problem which took two weeks.
    The end of November, the same thing happened again, this time it kept freezing all of a sudden. I brought it in and it was fixed again.

Now last week the calls have stopped working, when someone rings me or I ring them, my microphone doesnt work.
    So I brought it into them the next day and they took it off to be fixed. Just got a phone call from them to tell me that the phone is not under their warranty anymore and its up to the insurance company to have it repaired which will cost 40euro... I paid 160euro for the insurance! For what I do not know now!!

Am I entitled to a replacement or a total refund?

Its getting so so annoying!

Warranty doesn't come into it.

Your goods, under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 should last a reasonable amount of time. For something as expensive as an iPhone, from August til now isn't reasonable. The retailer must offer one of the three Rs; repair, replacement or refund. The repair must be permanent, which isn't the case here, so you can ask for a replacement or refund and they must provide one of the two. If they refuse, send them a letter by registered post, giving them a reasonable amount of time (10 working days usually is good) to fix the issue. If they don't, lodge a case with the Small Claims Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

Thanks a mil, I kinda half knew it but I needed it in black in white in front of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

tbh, if they're saying it's out of warranty after 5 months it's because they have reason to believe it has been user damaged (physical, liquid etc). The very mention of needing an insurance claim would also lead me to assume this. Could you give any further info on this, OP or am I completely wrong?

If I'm right, get proof of any damage from them. If it is indeed damaged, you may have to go through insurance. The €40 charge would be the excess for a claim on your policy, same as with a claim on any other insurance policy (my motor excess is £500 :eek:)

If it is not damaged, go with Esoteric's advice.

FYI OP, I would not have been so quick to leave it in for repair the second time. 3 months is not a reasonable amount of time to get out of something so expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

Well it couldnt really be user damaged.. There are no scratches etc on it and it was well looked after.
    I looked at my documents and it was actually June it was bought in, so 8 months isn't long for an iPhone to last...

As far as I can see it shouldnt have gone to the insurance company because its still carphone warehouses problem that they have given me three faulty phones.....

Should have bought it from the apple store and been done with it.

Im going to ask for a refund and buy a different phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Did you get refund OP?

• Advertisement
Advertisement