Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercings and colonoscopy

• 28-01-2013 3:24pm

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but am having a colonoscopy soon. I don't think I'll be under general anaesthetic. Any worries about having to remove my piercings?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Can't see why there'd be any need. AFAIK, they don't use general for that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

They generally only use a general for it if you have a medical reason for needing it, be it physical or psychological. With a local, you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You've got your ass pierced!?! :eek::eek::eek:

MCMLXXV wrote: »

Er..... there are some anasthetics that you can't get if you have pieces of metal in your body.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Er..... there are some anasthetics that you can't get if you have pieces of metal in your body.....:rolleyes:

I didn't know that. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

MCMLXXV wrote: »

I was thinking that too, Hmmmm how does one pierce their asshole :pac:

Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I was thinking that too, Hmmmm how does one piece their asshole :pac:

Sorry
    So many puns.... must resist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I was thinking that too, Hmmmm how does one pierce their asshole :pac:

Sorry

Check bme. It exists.

• LOL, no I don't have my ass pierced. I've heard plenty of stories of people having to remove all their piercings for operations, so thought I'd better check.

Why DO you sometimes need to remove them, BTW? Why are they dangerous under anaesthetic?

I didn't know that. :o

Me neither! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I thought it was more to do with keeping the theater sterile?

January wrote: »
    I thought it was more to do with keeping the theater sterile?

Could be that. I don't know the actual reason for it, but I remember they asked my grandmother recently when she was going for an op if she had tatts or piercings, as they could affect the anasthetic?

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Could be that. I don't know the actual reason for it, but I remember they asked my grandmother recently when she was going for an op if she had tatts or piercings, as they could affect the anasthetic?

Does she? :cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Avasa

I thought it was incase they have to restart your heart using defibrillator and the metal of piercings would burn the skin? I could be wrong???

Avasa wrote: »
    I thought it was incase they have to restart your heart using defibrillator and the metal of piercings would burn the skin? I could be wrong???

Pure and utter bull****, you would actually have to have the shock pads side by side for it to ark and burn.

They lied to me so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I had a colonoscopy last year and was asked to remove my piercings, but I was under general anesthetic so maybe that's why.

But I did hear recently that if you have nipple piercings, then you would have to change the positions of the pads with a defibrillator, so maybe that could be it too.

If the nurse asks you to remove piercings, you're probably better off doing it.

Macca07 wrote: »
    I had a colonoscopy last year and was asked to remove my piercings, but I was under general anesthetic so maybe that's why.

But I did hear recently that if you have nipple piercings, then you would have to change the positions of the pads with a defibrillator, so maybe that could be it too.

The reason for this is a myth.

Pure and utter bull****, you would actually have to have the shock pads side by side for it to ark and burn.

If there is a piercing in the line between the two pads, then it would severely burn you, i.e. nipple piercings.

Macca07 wrote: »
    If there is a piercing in the line between the two pads, then it would severely burn you, i.e. nipple piercings.

IT doesn't they pads have to be litterally no more than an inch for it to ark and burn you. IT has been tested loads, it even made it onto mythbusters

• Advertisement

IT doesn't they pads have to be litterally no more than an inch for it to ark and burn you. IT has been tested loads, it even made it onto mythbusters

Fair enough, I'll trust you over trained professionals that teach it, and multiple articles online.

Yeah it was a nipple piercing I had.

• Macca07 wrote: »

:eek:

I was going to get my nipples pierced. Hadn't even thought about this issue. Is it true?

There seems to be a billion reasons NOT to get your nipples pierced. :(

Yeah I had it for two years and it still never fully healed.

Advertisement