Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom modems affected by UPC Power supplies?

• 28-01-2013 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

Cant believe this one. An Eircom enginner has told me that my broadband is crap because of my neighbours UPC power supply is faulty.

Apparently its happening up and down the country.

Anyone else have this problem and isnt that extremely worrying?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

paulhmull wrote: »
    Hi

Cant believe this one. An Eircom enginner has told me that my broadband is crap because of my neighbours UPC power supply is faulty.

Sounds like a load of waffle, I know UPC are having difficulties lately in certain areas of Dublin, but how could a UPC power supply interfere with Eircoms DSL connection?

I'm open to correction but isnt UPC cable broadband as opposed to Eircoms DSL product?

It appears to me he is making excuses for Eircoms paltry speeds the fault of UPC... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

They are on completely different networks, with different wires etc. The real reason is that eircom can't/won't invest in their substandard infrastructure. It's a new excuse though and shows a little more imagination then usual :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ciaran_2

There must be some truth in this. Today I received delivery of a new power adapter for my UPC modem. I had not requested it and I have had no issues with my service.

Letter states '.. notified by Cisco,... that a small number of their power supplies have potential performance issues which may impact your customer experience.'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Plenty of devices can interfere with an ADSL modem due to the EM noise they produce. I've seen it before from various appliances such as large fridges or heating systems igniting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Ciaran_2 wrote: »
    There must be some truth in this. Today I received delivery of a new power adapter for my UPC modem. I had not requested it and I have had no issues with my service.

Letter states '.. notified by Cisco,... that a small number of their power supplies have potential performance issues which may impact your customer experience.'

Just came on to ask did anyone else receive a new power supply today..

I doubt a possibly faulty power supply from the house beside could affect your bb.. the engineer must be running low on excuses!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Yep I received one too... That's why I found this topic :) I was quite surprised, never noticed any problem with the old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

paulhmull wrote: »
    Hi

Was told the same by a Eircom engineer last week, major issue it seems...
    Spear wrote: »
    Plenty of devices can interfere with an ADSL modem due to the EM noise they produce.

Exactly what he said as well as something about Cisco power supplies being manufactured in Japan or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

UPC were supplied with cheap crappy power supplies for their Cisco modems...by Cisco.

The interference issue is genuine and was noted last year. Thankfully they and Cisco are now replacing these cheap crappy power supplies.

As Spear said upthread, interference issues can originate from a HUGE variety of sources, eg street lights interfering with overhead cable etc.

I shudder to think of what a Belkin power supply could do.....probably bring down Airbus A380s. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    UPC were supplied with cheap crappy power supplies for their Cisco modems...by Cisco.

The interference issue is genuine and was noted last year. Thankfully they and Cisco are now replacing these cheap crappy power supplies.

As Spear said upthread, interference issues can originate from a HUGE variety of sources, eg street lights interfering with overhead cable etc.

I shudder to think of what a Belkin power supply could do.....probably bring down Airbus A380s. :(
    ComReg are aware of the problem and as bad as they are, even they investigated a boards poster's complaints about interference to an eircom connection after a neighbour got UPC installed. The power supply was mentioned as a possible culprit.

I've just seen the problem with this argument. Why would anyone have eircon (or any dsl) when upc are available in the area? Makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement

UPC do not cover 100% of any town they service...does that make sense??

If they're available next door....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

docmol wrote: »
    I've just seen the problem with this argument. Why would anyone have eircon (or any dsl) when upc are available in the area? Makes no sense to me.

I switched from Smart Telecom (24Mbps ADSL, no contention) to 30Mbps UPC, now 100Mbps UPC; and the Smart service was considerably better. In speed tests the UPC would shine, but in any real-world download test the Smart service was a good deal faster and more consistent.

I'd love to know why that was the case with Smart, yet Eircom - which presumably shares the same infrastructure - has such a bad rep.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

docmol wrote: »

For many people what UPC now offer as their basic bb product is "excessive" in price point - many people don't need the basic speed offered by UPC as a number of posters have previously pointed out.

The cheapest that you can get bb and phone from UPC now is €44 (plus a possible non dd charge if you don't want to pay that way).

Smart are now offering "up to" 24Mb for €29.99 a month. Thats a considerable saving for a product which would satisfy many people's needs even if they are unlikely to get the 24Mb headline speed.

For many people what UPC now offer as their basic bb product is "excessive" in price point - many people don't need the basic speed offered by UPC as a number of posters have previously pointed out.

The cheapest that you can get bb and phone from UPC now is €44 (plus a possible non dd charge if you don't want to pay that way).

Smart are now offering "up to" 24Mb for €29.99 a month. Thats a considerable saving for a product which would satisfy many people's needs even if they are unlikely to get the 24Mb headline speed.

Point accepted.

I've no experience with Smart so I'll take your word that they are OK but years of dealing with eircom has led me to believe that they are not worth the effort of talking to. The only exception I've found is OAPs who can get a special deal and pay a minimal price for a service they use for casual browsing and email.
    I honestly feel for anyone stuck with them. Even their ads are full of lies (uncongested!) How do they get away with that one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Assassins Creed

Wonder how congested a fibre powered cable could get, when bandwidth is sent down a cable to be shared by all the houses connected to that cable.

Wonder how congested a fibre powered cable could get, when bandwidth is sent down a cable to be shared by all the houses connected to that cable.

Seeing as it is about 100x THICKER than an eircom phone cable it can handle 100x the customers of an eircom phone cable before it becomes an issue. Innit. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Assassins Creed

:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D cant stop. Very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

I doubt a possibly faulty power supply from the house beside could affect your bb.. the engineer must be running low on excuses!!

I received the same notice from UPC today. Apparently a new powersupply is winging its way to me. Its a little late though as the one I had died about a year ago and I replaced it with a generic one.
    No fear that they'd replace the really really really crappy cisco modem.

Out of interest.. those of you who have received replacement PSUs, what modem do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Conspiracy theorists could argue that UPC bringing down Eircom lines was a deliberate and quite a sneaky and effective ploy :)

I wonder would Dana Strong admit to such tactics?

News just in, UPC modems also causing global warming, snow in winter, and they killed JFK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

That's part of the problem with DSL technologies in general. Phone lines are basically just like speaker cable, they're not designed to carry data and were originally specified only to carry analogue audio signals.

They are not shielded and can behave like antennae picking up various random electromagnetic fields and also interference from other DSL lines in the same bundle.

Cable Television wiring is coaxial cable designed from day one to carry high-bandwidth signals, initially analogue television channels. It's shielded and not susceptible to interference and vastly higher bandwidth than a simple twisted pair phone line.

Until eircom actually rolls out fibre to premises, and for as long as they are still depending on runs of unshielded copper phone lines to carry data, they will never be able to eliminate these kinds of problems or compete with UPC's top speeds.

Loads of potentially faulty electronics could produce EM that could screw up DSL signals.

As a technology, that's one of its drawbacks.

DSL is basically a 'hack'. It's re-purposing obsolete technology i.e. old copper phone lines designed to carry audio. So, it's never really going to be an ideal access method for ultra-high speed internet.

Phone companies all over the world (not just eircom) are quite happy to sweat their copper assets for as long as they can get away with it.

Cable modems are also re-purposing an older technology i.e. coaxial analogue cable television systems, but at least it's a technology that was designed from the ground up to be capable of carrying high-bandwidth traffic (TV signals) without interference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Seeing as it is about 100x THICKER than an eircom phone cable it can handle 100x the customers of an eircom phone cable before it becomes an issue. Innit. :D

So girth is more important than....oh never mind :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

PSU overheats, filter circuit degenerates, sending out "noise" into the entire co-axial system, this system can share subducts with eircom lines and jumps into eircom's network, there are new procedures in place to submit a investigation request into comreg.

note: it is not only UPC PSU's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭drummer76

Actually what happens is a componant (mostly a capacitor) goes faulty in the transformer within the power supply. This causes the plug to overheat. When it heats up the electromagnetic frequencies it emits start to spike between approx 100khz and 2Mhz. These signals are then transmitting within the spectral range of dsl broadband. As to how they get into the eircom network its not from cables ran in the same duct its actually happen through the esb network. The faulty power supply is plugged into a power socket, overheats, then transmits the interference out through the socket onto the esb copper, it travells out to a common point (ie. A substation etc.) then travells back on all of the common esb copper. This of course follows through to the power sockets in all of the neighbouring houses. It can then carry through the power supply of an eircom modem into that modem interfering with the bb signal then travells out the phone line copper to do the exact same as it did with the esb, carry to a common point (ie roadside cabinet) then travel back to all eircom customers fed from that cabinet. Easy way to know if your power supply is faulty is just simply touch it, if its hot its more than likely causing a problem. There is also a way to search for this interference using radio frequency meters but thats another days post. Exhausted now from all the typing.

Also as some others said its not just modem power supplies, any piece of electrical equipment has the potential to generate interference.

There was a lot to be said for the old huge heavy classic coil transformers that we used to use before all these little switch mode power supplies.

You could also use the old ones as a door stop or paper weight :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Spear wrote: »
    Plenty of devices can interfere with an ADSL modem due to the EM noise they produce. I've seen it before from various appliances such as large fridges or heating systems igniting.

Yes they can, but thats normally only the case if the writing passes very close to the faulty device or interference.

Blaming next door's power supply unit on a UPC device is pie in the sky stuff unless the guys eircom phone line passes extremely close to the power supply

I believe the offending devices transmitted EMI on the synch frequencies which are a narrow subset of frequencies used to initially set up ADSL connections after which more tones are opened up for higher speed. Had the interference been obvious at different frequencies it may have affected thruput and speed rather than synch. UPC themselves are in for a lot of fun once LTE is deployed. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭drummer76

The eircom phone line does not need to be that close to the source of interference, once they have common esb it will affect sync, and atainable speeds but mainly its the drop in signal to noise ratio that cause the main issues. It is not being carried in on the eircom network its being carried in on the esb into the eircom modem.

• Advertisement

It's the downside of having your last mile network running over what amounts to glorified speaker cable and why ADSL/VDSL technologies will never really be perfect.

There's always going to be interference from RF sources and it's only going to become more prevalent as more and more electronic devices appear. There are switching mode power supplies and other potentially noisy devices in everything from washing machines to PCs these days.

Also, people using things like wireline networking in their house e.g. homeplugs etc etc.

Advertisement