Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom modems affected by UPC Power supplies?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭drummer76

It can be combated in vdsl with a system known as vectoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

drummer76 wrote: »
    It can be combated in vdsl with a system known as vectoring.

AFAIK, vectoring's only purpose is to eliminate crosstalk between wires in a bundle. So, you'd only be removing interference from other DSL lines, not from external random sources like faulty power supplies.

The only way you could avoid that would be shielding the cables (i.e. the way cable TV does it) and ensuring that you don't import malfunctioning / poorly designed PSUs.

You could be right I dont know much about vectoring but I dont think shielding the cables will work because as i said it travells in on the esb cables, through your power supply and into the modem, unless the esb cables are shielded also that would only stop it travelling back out on the network cable. If a filter was in the power supplies it could possibly help eliminate the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

drummer76 wrote: »
    You could be right I dont know much about vectoring but I dont think shielding the cables will work because as i said it travells in on the esb cables, through your power supply and into the modem, unless the esb cables are shielded also that would only stop it travelling back out on the network cable. If a filter was in the power supplies it could possibly help eliminate the problem.

Properly shielded cables have a screen that acts like a Faraday cage e.g. in coaxial cable used for your TV/satellite/cable tv or shielded network cabling or USB cables

Any stray RF is picked up on the mesh shield surrounding the signal wires and grounded away.

Open bundles of twisted pair like phone lines aren't shielded at all (certainly over the bit that runs to your house anyway)

Yes but that still wont make any difference if the interference is being carried along the esb copper it will only make a difference if the interference then tries to enter the shielded cable. But there have even been cases of this upc interference affecting upc customers even though their cables are shielded coax. I've seen areas with upc customers only receiving 1mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 4ntimatter

I also received a new plug from UPC, however I got a couple of phone calls asking why I hadn't sent back the old power supply "plug" with the enclosed envelope. I told them I would definitely send it back when I get a chance. And today they sent a UPC van out on a Saturday? without notice to collect the plug. There wasn't any particular reason why I hadn't sent back the old plug. other than I just didn't find the time, nor did I think it was of any great importance.

I received a letter prior to receiving the replacement plug.

Quote:
    Dear customer, we have been notified by Cisco. The manufacturer of your broadband modem that a small number of their power supplies have potential performance issues, which may impact your customer experience.

In order to address this minor issue, enhance the energy efficiency and approve and extend the lifetime of your modem, you need to replace your old power supply with a free upgrade which will be delivered to you within the next few days.
    This power supply unit is energy star level-5 rated, lowering energy costs for you.
    The new unit looks similar to the old one but is distinguishable by having a small green bulb on the back which lights up when it is plugged in.

Cisco's courier company DPD will be in contact with you via text message over the coming days to advise when they will deliver your new power supply unit to your home. Upon delivery the the driver will also collect your old power supply unit and dispose this for you.

We urge you to complete this swap today as you may suffer service degradation to your broadband service if you continue to use the old power supply unit.

End quote.

Note: I tried to give the old plug to the delivery guy when he handed me the new one and he had no knowledge of this and wouldn't take the old one.

Basically I find it strange the way they were so eager to get the old plug back.
    I hope this info is any use to yous if not sorry. I didn't have any problems with my old power supply other than my electricity bill was much higher than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If their faulty and could go south then Cisco wont want a legal case on their hands in the off chance one of them seriously malfunctions.

Also, never heard and LED being described as a bulb before :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15 4ntimatter

ED E wrote: »
    Also, never heard and LED being described as a bulb before :p

Your hilarious mate, I didn't even cop that, and that's exactly what it said.

LED bulb?

Advertisement