Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative fuels for two stroke generator.

• 28-01-2013 3:47pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what alternative fuels could be used in a two stroke generator to avoid having to pay excise duty.

I'm guessing methanol / caster oil but the stuff used in model aircraft isn't cheaper than petrol / oil mix so asking here in case anyone has looked into this for a old Honda 50 or similar.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,408 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Supposedly Sochiro Honda's first clip-on engines for bicycles were made to run on turpentine as it was easier to get than petrol in the immediate post-war period in Japan.

A Honda 50 etc. is a four-stroke. I think it would be pretty easy to feck up a two-stroke as they are prone to overheating and detonation at the best of times, and as well as that the fuel has to carry the oil into the engine. You might have an alternative fuel that burns reasonably ok but fecks up the lubrication. I doubt a fuel with any sort of a moisture content (ethanol/methanol) would work well in a two-stroke.

I'd say forget it. There aren't many things that are like petrol and not already expensive or heavily taxed. Get a four-stroke diesel generator and then you can run MGO, biodiesel etc.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement