Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menthol crystals in Dublin

Options
  • 28-01-2013 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can pick up some of these in town?

I tried boots and health matters on grafton st but no joy.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

I doubt very much that you can buy these at any pharmacy around the country - from reading about them here on Boards they are only given out on prescription :(

When I get hold of a proper e-cig I'll be making my own menthol liquid but many of the e-cig sellers don't stock menthol, however I've found this stockist who also sell on Amazon, called The Gem Tree http://www.thegemtree.com/Aromatherapy-Body-Care/Hair-and-Body-Care/100gms-Premium-Chinese-Menthol-Crystals

They will just have to be ordered online I'm afraid. That or convince your GP that you have tremendous fibromyalgia and simply must bathe in warm menthol water on a nightly basis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Thanks for the info - I'll just order em online. I love my menthol vape.

There's nothing like it.

I did a 'search this forum' search for 'make your own menthol' and came up with a wealth of info on DIY-ing it, then saved them all in a minty little folder in my Favourites.

But until I decide upon the best two e-cigs to buy, I'll be buying ready made. What do you currently use? Any good, any bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Stefan_Cork

i usually order mine here: http://www.ecigwizard.com/en/mixing-diy-flavours/diy-accessories/menthol-crystals.html
    out of stock for now, i throw the whole bag (3g) into a 5ml PG bottle and let it dissolve
    (put in pocket and carry around for 1-2h, its nice and strong and can be used 2-15% to your mix, depends how you like it)
    there based in Uk but ship often from germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

with all due respect to CSI Boots have absolutely no problem supplying menthol crystals , if they don't have then in stock when you ask they are more then happy to arrange stock usually in no more then 48 hours..I have gotten crystals from the Boots in Liffey Valley on several occasions..I purchase the Base liquid ( a 50/50 VG/PG mix from Inawera in Poland and "roll my own " together with a touch of eucalyptus and a drop or two of rose ( every now and again :-) )
    Just ask and Im sure they will be happy to supply ...Online is of course always an option and Amazon is as good a scource as any ...

• Advertisement

Amigaman wrote: »
    with all due respect to CSI Boots have absolutely no problem supplying menthol crystals , if they don't have then in stock when you ask they are more then happy to arrange stock usually in no more then 48 hours..I have gotten crystals from the Boots in Liffey Valley on several occasions..I purchase the Base liquid ( a 50/50 VG/PG mix from Inawera in Poland and "roll my own " together with a touch of eucalyptus and a drop or two of rose ( every now and again :-) )
    Just ask and Im sure they will be happy to supply ...Online is of course always an option and Amazon is as good a scource as any ...

I'm going there tomorrow now! Other posters have been told at Boots that they'd need a prescription. I'll try my luck though and report back in the evening.

About the rose - I read elsewhere of people adding it to a mix - it sounds lovely...but what exactly are you using? Is it rose water? (which I know is sometimes used as an ingredient in baking) but please don't tell me it's the kind you get at the chemists for use as a facial toner :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Are menthol crystals stronger\better than a menthol flavour concentrate?? Just curious as to why peeps go for these over a concentrate??

Amigaman wrote: »
    with all due respect to CSI Boots have absolutely no problem supplying menthol crystals , if they don't have then in stock when you ask they are more then happy to arrange stock usually in no more then 48 hours..I have gotten crystals from the Boots in Liffey Valley on several occasions..
    I purchase the Base liquid ( a 50/50 VG/PG mix from Inawera in Poland and "roll my own " together with a touch of eucalyptus and a drop or two of rose ( every now and again :-) )
    csi vegas wrote: »
    I'm going there tomorrow now! Other posters have been told at Boots that they'd need a prescription. I'll try my luck though and report back in the evening.

Update: I've just been to Boots. No joy. The assistant had never heard of it, so I asked could she ask someone at dispensing, which she did, they'd never heard of it either. She took my number and called back when she got time to check online/on their own system and said "only in The UK and with prescription"...so after trying there and about five other pharmacies (where I was met with dissaproving looks and a straight out "no we haven't!" from some cow of a counter girl at one place) I've come to the conclusion that you are just very lucky to live in Dublin!

Also thought I'd keep this in and hope you reply:
    About the rose - I read elsewhere of people adding it to a mix - it sounds lovely...but what exactly are you using? Is it rose water? (which I know is sometimes used as an ingredient in baking) but please don't tell me it's the kind you get at the chemists for use as a facial toner :eek:

Gryzor wrote: »
    Are menthol crystals stronger\better than a menthol flavour concentrate?? Just curious as to why peeps go for these over a concentrate??

They definitely would be both stronger and most likely better for that same reason.

The main advantages would be that you can personally controle the strength of the menthol (some may like it extra mild, others will want it to blow their socks off ie; me :))
    and also (and of the greatest importance) is the cost - mixing the menthol with PG/VG base plus whatever strength of nicotine you prefer (I THINK you need PG/VG ASWELL as a nicotine base, correct me if I'm wrong) will work out an awful lot cheaper than anything ready made.

But by 'concentrate' do you mean that there is liquid menthol, just pure and 'as is' (with no other ingredients) that you throw in with a PG/VG and nicitone base? No need for crystals?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The menthol flavour concentrates would be made either by dissolving menthol crystals, or by including some other liquid which already has them.

I got some concentrate from Inawera recently, and in a mix I made the menthol kept coming out of solution and forming crystals. I'd wake up in the morning and my bottle of juice would look like it had frozen solid.

I was using it with Inawera's VG BioBase, I've used it with some other proper VG since and it's fine so for whatever reason the BioBase doesn't seem to be a good solvent.

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    The menthol flavour concentrates would be made either by dissolving menthol crystals, or by including some other liquid which already has them.

I got some concentrate from Inawera recently, and in a mix I made the menthol kept coming out of solution and forming crystals. I'd wake up in the morning and my bottle of juice would look like it had frozen solid :eek:

I was using it with Inawera's VG BioBase, I've used it with some other proper VG since and it's fine so for whatever reason the BioBase doesn't seem to be a good solvent.

And :eek: again!

Thanks for the tip. I actually went on Inawera's site just an hour ago and was looking at the Biobase. Was going to pair it with this http://inawerashop.com/eflavour-menthol-10-ml-p-385.html €1.71 for a 10ml bottle, that's really cheap isn't it? And I don't know much in the way of prices yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

It is cheap, but the Inawera flavours are pretty good. Polaks and their cheap everything. Tch.

Advertisement