Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vancouver 2013- student work

• 28-01-2013 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Greetings Boardsies. I am a University Student in Ireland who has got an offer to stay with relatives in Vancouver this Summer, probably around July for 3 to 6 weeks. I hope to find some work out here and make some cash. Mainly I want to find out how difficult it is to find jobs out there and what sort of industries are most likely to take me on.

Should I be looking into bar work, manual labour, retail etc.? My only experience is a few years part time retail work. I also hold Canadian Citzenship but what is the situation for non-citizens? Is there a possibility of casual work that wouldnt require a visa? (have a friend who is interested in coming).

I'll be doing my own research but please impart onto me any relevant info you may have, any advice about how to apply for jobs, what employers seek, what areas of the city area are best to check out and so forth. In fact, any info about this area is welcome! All help is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

You are golden being a Canadian citizen but even for short term work your friend will need an IEC

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?view=d

This might be a bit of a waste for them though to just use a few weeks of a 24 month Visa, though he could still work in Canada up to the expiry if he could afford to be hopping back and forth between college or whatever.

As for industries and jobs have no idea what the job market is like in Vancouver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Make sure you have at least your Certificate of Citizenship (usually a card about the size of a credit card).

It'd be a good idea to get a Canadian passport if you don't already have one.
    Form here: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc040.pdf
    Once you apply it takes 3 weeks (or less) to get the passport.
    If you're in Dublin, take the completed form to the Embassy on Wilton Terrace, they'll go through it with you and make sure there aren't any mistakes (there usually are a few small ones, but they matter). Read the application carefully, many things are different from an Irish passport (picture size for example is different and very specific).

To work in Canada you'll need a SIN card (equivalent to PPS here). You can apply here for that too (http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/how.shtml), but you can get it quite quickly in Vancouver too, when you're there (I got it quickly when I was there anyway).

Like anywhere else, most employers don't really want to hire someone on for only 3 to 6 weeks, so that could be a problem. A lot of students who go over in the Summer get work for three months, and many of them will claim to be around for a year etc. in order to convince the prospective employer that they won't be going home at the end of the Summer.
    So unless it was for some specific short-term project somewhere, I wouldn't imagine 3 to 6 weeks work is easy to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 extremebogman

Thanks for the replys. Big help

I understand what you mean about the difficulties of short-term work, Sinfonia. However I am willing to empty wheelie-bins (trash cans?), scrape chewing-gum off pavements, or any manual labour. I presume such jobs are actually available? whether or not they are plentiful.

Also, what are the specific benefits of having a Canadian passport rather than just a Citizenship card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Also, what are the specific benefits of having a Canadian passport rather than just a Citizenship card?
    The main reason I got one was (well, besides the fact that I might as well have it) because the photo on my citizenship card was of me when I was about 3 or 4! So I figured it better to have a current picture.
    Also I travelled on it, so I skipped the non-citizen queues at YVR :D
    Don't think you can do the same with a citizenship card if you're travelling on your Irish passport.

Overall, I'd just consider it a more failsafe form of ID in Canada, so I felt better for having it with me.

Advertisement