Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm builder made a bags of.

Options
  • 28-01-2013 4:30pm
    Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Well as the title suggests a neighbours alarm is no longer working after the builder she had in doing some work made some alterations to it.

He removed the back door blocked it up and replaced a window with the door if you get me.

So from what I can see he's just joined all the cables at the door sensor. Red-red, black-black etc and used the window sensor for the door he replaced. I'm not even sure if he used the same sensor or put the door sensor on it.

Either way any advice on where or how to go about fixing this issue greatly appreciated as she's in the house on her own with 2 young kids and no alarm.

I know a thing or two about electrics but feck all about security alarms. :D

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

Have you tried removing any wires from the sensors and shorting them, red/red black/black etc.
    If there is only 1 wire somewhere then that's the end of the line so join red to black, blue to yellow as that's usually the way people wire for alarm and tamper.
    keep any resistor you find in the circuit and see if the alarm will set. If it does then that means a sensor was installed wrong or else isn't working properly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would suggest your neighbor get a licenced installer out and bill the builder for it. He was more than likely unlicenced & unqualified to carry out this work. In him doing this both he and your neighbor are breaking the law.[end of rant]

If you are having a go at it, then I'd start with John Kelly's advice.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

KoolKid wrote: »
    I would suggest your neighbor get a licenced installer out and bill the builder for it. He was more than likely unlicenced & unqualified to carry out this work. In him doing this both he and your neighbor are breaking the law.[end of rant]

If you are having a go at it, then I'd start with John Kelly's advice.

That's not gonna happen that I'm sure of. Long story.

I guess I'll be taking a look myself just trying to do the girl a favour.

No need for the rant about using a licensed installer the builder told her he was getting an electrician in so she was in no way breaking the law.

Have you tried removing any wires from the sensors and shorting them, red/red black/black etc.
    If there is only 1 wire somewhere then that's the end of the line so join red to black, blue to yellow as that's usually the way people wire for alarm and tamper.
    keep any resistor you find in the circuit and see if the alarm will set. If it does then that means a sensor was installed wrong or else isn't working properly.

Thanks for that. There was no end of line though would the front and rear door be on a radial making the front door end of line and the now removed joined rear door a loop?

I can't really remember off hand what was the issue coming up on the panel but i'll have a look another time.

One thing I noticed though was that the tamper didn't seem to work when I took the cover off the window sensor actually on a couple of different ones at the back of the house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

leeomurchu wrote: »
    the builder told her he was getting an electrician in so she was in no way breaking the law.
    She was if the electrician was not licenced.

Anyway , let see if we can get you sorted.
    There was no end of line though would the front and rear door be on a radial making the front door end of line and the now removed joined rear door a loop?
    It would be more likely they are 2 separate cables & seriesed in the panel.
    Try opening the front door as well & enter 0# 5 and see what zones display.
    Its also possible with HKC that the zones were set up as Non-EOL.
    One thing I noticed though was that the tamper didn't seem to work when I took the cover off the window sensor actually on a couple of different ones at the back of the house.

Its also possible that the tampers are not active.
    If you seperate all the cables & enter 0#5 how many errors display?

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=KoolKid;82931006

It would be more likely they are 2 separate cables & seriesed in the panel.
    Try opening the front door as well & enter 0# 5 and see what zones display.
    Its also possible with HKC that the zones were set up as Non-EOL.

Its also possible that the tampers are not active.
    If you seperate all the cables & enter 0#5 how many errors display?[/QUOTE]

It'll be a few days before I can have another look. The tamper on the front door works fine I took off the cover to check and it set the alarm off.

The reason I ask about the front and back door being looped is that there's only one cable at the front door sensor.

Originally I thought he must've ran a cable from the old back door to the new door and somehow tied it in with the window but only 2 cables at the new position.

Then I thought maybe he changed to window sensor for the door sensor and this buggered it. I'm not sure if there a difference in the 2 sensors.

There was no resistors at either the old door sensor or the new door sensor/possibly existing window sensor used.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

When testing to see what cable goes where turn on the user walk test.
    0#3 on the keypad. Saves you a few trips to the keypad to see whats happening every time you joint or disconnect a cable ;)

Advertisement