Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking Transaction Fees- Are they at all avoidable?

Options
  • 28-01-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭

My current account has recently been upgraded from a graduate account, which is fair enough as I left college 2 years ago :)

However, they're now hitting me with transaction fees- €11 for 90 transactions per quarter (I'd exceed that) or 28c per transaction in a pay as you go type scenario.

I've looked around and can't seem to see anywhere that doesn't have these (excessive) fees, unless you have a balance of €3k at all times (:eek:) which I don't.

Any advice, or is this just an inevitable chunk of money I'm going to have to hand over to them...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

UB currently has fee-less current accounts. ptsb currently offers a reasonably achievable method of avoiding fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

BuffyBot wrote: »
    UB currently has fee-less current accounts. ptsb currently offers a reasonably achievable method of avoiding fees.

Thanks BuffyBot, think I'm prob going to go with TSB-I spoke to them earlier and they were very helpful and their criteria is pretty straight forward.

BOI never even called me back after I left a message with the one person they said could advise me on the matter. Disgusted at them, have been there since I was 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Interesting that it's €1500, €70 less than the take home pay if your working full time on minimum wage.

But better than nothing! I think people will consider moving now that they have paid a few quarters worth of transaction fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I'm jumping to PTSB myself.
    I got billed 57 euro for this quarters transactions.
    I am now on the 11 euro per quarter for 90 transactions but just realised I would probably go over this and by quite a bit..
    Time to get away from BOI I think.
    Its a bye bye from me aswell..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Big Q in PTSB at lunch time today. A lot of people switching.

No reason to stick with a fee paying current account when there are options like PTSB to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Have an appointment next week in my local branch.
    Would have no problem staying with BOI if they didnt have the charges as never really had an issue with them in 15 years or so but the charges are just obscene.
    Guy on the phone yesterday told me that they are very busy with people switching over at the moment.

Advertisement