Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New mobile layout. Viewing list of subscribed forums

Options
  • 28-01-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

The previous mobile site when you viewed the list of all forums at the top it would show your subscribed forums before displaying all the others. It doesnt do this anymore.

The link which previously showed this was http://touch.boards.ie/forum/list But this link doesnt exist anymore.

Anyway you can look into returning this function.

Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

+1

This is unusable in its current form. I never use the forums list - I sub to my regular forums so I can get to them quickly. It took me 4 pages to get to here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Oversight on our part in the new browse page, we'll look at getting this resolved as soon as possible, thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Just to add.
    That page was my mobile bookmark for boards. It's how I use the site on mobile.
    As it is now, as with the user above, it's usability has been gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Came into post the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

This is making touch non use able therefore not viable from mobile devices.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Orion wrote: »
    +1

This is unusable in its current form. never use the forums list - I sub to my regular forums so I can get to them quickly. It took me 4 pages to get to here!
    If you use the search box for the forum name it should be the first link.

Not sure about this old school interface for the reply box

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The new forum listing is very annoying. I preferred the old system of having your forums to select from, not lists of threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oversight on our part in the new browse page, we'll look at getting this resolved as soon as possible, thanks
    oh thank goodness, I thought we'd pissed you all off and were suffering developer wrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

A big +1 to this. Two other issues i've come across so far....when I go into a forum, I used to be able to click on the forum name near the top on the left of the page and this would reload the page. It would be nice if this was brought back. And secondly, I got a notification this afternoon, I clicked on it and brought me to my profile page, but it didn't show what the notification was for. I had to go onto the full site to see it was a notification to show there was a reply to a thread I was subscribed to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

How long is this going to take to fix?

Is there a way to just go back to the old site?

This critical flaw aside, how is this new yoke better in any way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

BDJW wrote: »
    Two other issues i've come across so far....when I go into a forum, I used to be able to click on the forum name near the top on the left of the page and this would reload the page. It would be nice if this was brought back.

That's working OK for me. It never re-loaded the paged you were on, it always brought you back to the main forum page.
    And secondly, I got a notification this afternoon, I clicked on it and brought me to my profile page, but it didn't show what the notification was for. I had to go onto the full site to see it was a notification to show there was a reply to a thread I was subscribed to

Had that myself earlier, couldn't figure out what the second notification was. It previously only displayed PMs. Any way of going back to that?

Another thing that's bugging me is that the latest Posts tab is now on the left when it used to be on the right. Only a small thing, but I'd imagine everyone was used to it where it was, so I don't understand why it was moved.

Overall not really loving the new layout tbh, but can't really put my finger on why. It just looks a bit clunkier than the old one or something. It certainly doesn't feel as neat and tidy as the old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Zaph wrote: »
    That's working OK for me. It never re-loaded the paged you were on, it always brought you back to the main forum page.

That's what I meant. As per my previous post, when I am in the forum, not a thread, I would always click on the forum name to reload it, this doesn't work anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Am I alone in getting this view??

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That's what I meant. As per my previous post, when I am in the forum, not a thread, I would always click on the forum name to reload it, this doesn't work anymore

Apologies, misread that. Just had another look and I see what you mean. Never really used it that way myself as my browser (Dolphin on SGS2) has a refresh button in the top right corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Touch site is impossible now.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

lertsnim wrote: »
    Its really not fun right now. I loved it how it was. These changes dont seem to help improve it in any way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oryx wrote: »
    Its really not fun right now. I loved it how it was. These changes dont seem to help improve it in any way.
    +1. I miss my subbed forums!

And I also got a notification today which just brought me to my profile page with no actual notification there. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

While you're in there, any chance of a "Mark Forums Read" link at the bottom? Just stick it at the bottom beside the full site link:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?do=markread&markreadhash=biglongstringofnumbers

The same link that's on the "Quick Links" menu at the top of the screen on the beta skin, and marks the whole site as "Read" so you know what's new the next time you visit. Thanks. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any sort of jump to top of page button would be most welcome too

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Might be an idea to harmonise layout of
    Latest posts
    My forum
    My threads
    Tabs on front page.

Doh it is now! Wasn't in old version, sorreh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Also if I click into a threadfrom my forums lisy and then click the boards logo on top if it could bring you back to "my forums" again rather than to latest posts all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I actually like it mostly. Some of the feedback has a bit of a rude tone imo.

Please just bring back the subbed forums tab and you're laughing. :)

The "Posted in: <forum name>" line beneath each thread title is daft. Might work ok in theory for the way the My Forums page now is, but is a waste of screen space in the actual forums.

Also, I don't understand really what usability improvements have been made...

Two things that IMO would have made the old version significantly better than the current upgrade:

1: Change the position of the follow button at the bottom of every page. Put it on the left, under the form name, and make the post button on the right bigger. Much less likely to accidentally hit the big follow button when attempting to hit the much smaller post icon.

2: Ability to add posters to ignore list from their mobile profile. Currently you have to switch to full site.

I think these would have improved the ux far more than a tarted up header...
    The Category based browsing is a welcome addition though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

lertsnim wrote: »

+1 when I click the bookmark to the mobile version of the site it just says page not found so I'm being forced to use the full site version on my nexus 7 just to post this which is obviously not ideal.

Sort it out boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

+1 when I click the bookmark to the mobile version of the site it just says page not found so I'm being forced to use the full site version on my nexus 7 just to post this which is obviously not ideal.

Sort it out boards.

The URL in your bookmark is wrong? The touch site is online and fully available. http://touch.boards.ie

The URL in your bookmark is wrong? The touch site is online and fully available. http://touch.boards.ie

He's probably got the same page bookmarked that I used to use, the subbed forums list:

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/list

That one 404s now.

The correct URL is http://touch.boards.ie/browse but we'll look at getting a 301 redirect in for /forum/list, thanks.

Danny

Danny you don't seem to be getting this..maybe I'm wrong...
    But the link you just provided is not the page we're complaining about not being there any more.
    The link I posted used to bring me to a page that had links to my subbed forums.
    With the new site, that facility isn't possible any more.

fitz wrote: »
    Danny you don't seem to be getting this..maybe I'm wrong...
    But the link you just provided is not the page we're complaining about not being there any more.
    The link I posted use to bring me to a page that had links to my subbed forums.
    With the new site, that facility isn't possible any more.

I think we're talking at cross purposes. I'm not dealing with the missing subscribed forums issue, I'm dealing with the issue PhiloCypher has in that a page they have bookmarked no longer exists and they suggested the touch site is broken and they have to use the main site on their phone - this isn't the case.

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/list was not just a subscribed forums viewer, it was a list for the entire site that happened to have your subscribed forums at the top. The entire forum list is now accessible at http://touch.boards.ie/browse and very soon http://touch.boards.ie/forum/list will redirect to http://touch.boards.ie/browse.

Any updates on the displaying of followed forums will be posted separately - hope that clears it up?

Danny

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure that link used to only show the subbed forums for me, with nothing else beneath, but yeah, sorry for the confusion.
    Anyway, I'd guess most people are more concerned with just getting a dedicated "followed forums" page up and going...regardless of what URL they need to use. The browse features as they now are work fine, it's just not how I (and I suspect a lot more people) want to use the site on a mobile device. That old "subbed" page was my indexed digest of boards. Having to scroll through pages of a list of threads from those forums is a terrible ux. IMO, getting that page back up and running is far more of a priority than getting a redirect set up from where it used to be to a totally different page that doesn't give the same navigation feature. That seems a waste of time to me...

Advertisement