Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely pushy reps at the door

Options
  • 28-01-2013 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

I've just a rep from Electric Ireland at my door offering me a €25 gift voucher if I return to Electric Ireland.

He told me there'd be no change to the pricing of my gas/electricity and that it was all done hassle free.

I said No, that I was happy with Bord Gais and I really wasn't interested in returning to Electric Ireland. This wasn't enough for him. 
    He kept on and on and on about how it was a great deal and he couldn't comprehend the meaning of no.

I reckon I told him "no" about fifteen times and he still wouldn't budge from my doorstep.
    I understand these reps have to secure customers BUT when someone says "no", it means NO.
    I felt very intimidated and pushed into making a decision, even when I told him I'd call Electric Ireland if I wanted to return, but no, this wasn't enough for him.

He didn't want me to call-he basically wanted me to sign over there and then.
    I was extremely annoyed that someone could be allowed to be so forceful towards people and it's made me even more determined never to return to Electric Ireland.

Back when I switched to Bord Gais, they never once pressurised me into going with them; they gave me the info and let me make my own mind up.

The experience I had today left me fuming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Would you not just close the door in his face?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Heroditas wrote: »
    Would you not just close the door in his face?
    Well I always imagine I would do that but I'm never brave enough to just slam it in their faces.

I wasn't rude to him or anything; I understand it's his job to get new customers or try and lure old ones back.
     I also played my part in it by listening to what he had to say, but the fact he blatantly ignored my "no's" just got on my nerves.

He wouldn't listen and seemed baffled when I kept saying I wasn't interested in returning to Electric Ireland.
    I'd appreciate if reps like this would say their spiel, let me decide, then just leave when I give them an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The problem is the nature of that work. They're on commission so 
    1. They need to be pushy to close the sale
    2. No sale, no wage

It's a horrible job, particularly in that industry where energy companies aren't exactly the most popular companies out there.

Still..... Next time just tell them to eff off and shut the door in their face. I guarantee you that you won't have been the first person to do that to them and they won't take it personally! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Fussyonion,

Sorry to read you are unhappy with your customer experience. If you wish, private message me the name of the area in which you live, and any other relevant details, and I will forward your feedback to the relevant department for investigation.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement