Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Really good lip balm?

• 28-01-2013 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

I've spent years trying to find a decent lip balm for chapped lips but hoping someone out there can testify to an honestly good one.

Vaseline I found made them worse. Tried nivea, Burts bees, benefit non stick glosses, EA 8 hour cream, currently using Soap&Glory smooch operator. Find them ok for a while but need them to actually heal my chapped lips, like a good hand cream.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Carmex ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Vaseline with Cocoa Butter formula (in the brown tin) is very good. I have never been a fan of the standard one but found the Cocoa one great.

If you have really dry, cracked lips, try exfoliating them and then slathering them with lip balm. I use my toothbrush (no toothpaste!) but I have tried supar in olive oil in the past and it works well. Also, applying the balm on your lips and to the surrounding skin really makes a difference to the dryness, not the most sexy look but it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Agree it sounds like you need to exfoliate them as well, it would be the same if you have flaky dry skin on your face. Lush do great lip scrubs (the popcorn one smells amazing) and the body shop have lovely lip butters or if you want colour I've just started using the Korres lip butters and they're beautiful:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

exfolate your lips with your toothbrush, dont bother buying lip scrubs. takes 2sec & doesnt cost a penny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Toothbrush, while doing your teeth, and then carmex (cherry ftw).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

+1 for carmex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I am a self-confessed Carmex addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭marquise

+ 1 for the toothbrush followed by some Nuxe Rêve de Miel lip balm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Weleda skin food is brilliant for chapped lips, it has loads of other uses too. Most health shops should have a tester tube for you to try.

http://www.weleda.co.uk/balms/skin-food-75ml/invt/106013/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Softlips for me, it looks like a chapstick in a skinnier and longer tube. I have eczema and dry skin and that's one of the few that works and doesn't irritate the face off me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Thanks all, used toothbrush on lips yesterday & this morning and already notice a difference. Will look for carmex in the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

I will preface this by saying I ordered this off Sephora in the US so have no clue where it can be obtained in Ireland.... but! I just purchased this before Christmas to try it out and to get free shipping on my whole order :) It's called Yu-Be Lip Therapy and it's a chapstick-like balm. It has a menthol-y scent/flavor to it but I don't mind it really, and it's done wonders for my lips over this winter. The only thing is, I keep misplacing it... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭maidie

I got a gift recently of Joe Malone Lip Balm, its so nice and lovely on the lips, used Kiehl's Lip Balm before that and although its like vaseline only softer, I found it great. Lasts for ages too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

carmex is great stuff.

Soap and glory mighty mouth is amazing too started using it a few weeks ago and im hooked on it!

also if your lips are ever in bits use elizabeth hour eight hour cream its amazing what that can literally fix overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭lilium inter Spinas

Has anyone else ever tried the Fresh Lip Treatments?

http://www.fresh.com/skincare/lip-care-skincare/sugar-lip-treatment-spf-15

I got some deluxe samples for my birthday last year and I've been hooked since! The balm feels really thick, sorta waxy and makes your lips silky smooth. I found it lasts quite long too (even through drinking water, eating, etc) and like to put it on at night during winter when I leave the heater in my room on. Prevents chapped lips in the morning. The only downfall is the price. >_o You could get a 24 pack of Carmex for one of these tubes. Oi. Still, it's trial worthy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I love Burts Bees, the minty one. I got a L'Occitane one for Christmas and it is so gorgeous! So soft and buttery and it glides on perfectly with no drag even when it's been sitting in my bag for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Chapice. It's a brand that has been around for donkeys years. It's a great cure for chapped lips though and keeps chapped lips at bay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Clockwork Owl

Re: Elizabeth Arden 8hr Balm, you'd be better off trying out the lip-specific stick of the same range. It feels a lot lighter on the lips and less gooey, although the standard balm is great for problem spots. Comes in four colour washes too - pink, red and two different shades of brown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Trilogy Everything Balm. Pricey enough but you can use it everywhere, and its really good for chapped lips. Available in most Health Food shops and chemists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Carmex is okay but I find Blistexe the best thing for dry lips, mine can get quite dry in the winter and it's way better at healing them than Carmex for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Vichy Aqualia Thermal soothing & repairing balm. My lips were so chapped that they were bleeding and after 2-3 days of this they were smooth as anything again, it's an absolute lifesaver & didn't go near my lips with a toothbrush. Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Labello, the pink one. Cheap and cheerful, and it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Lanolips is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

Second the Vichy lip cream It's really good

Advertisement