Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Phone needed - fairly minimal requirements

Options
  • 28-01-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

If anyone is interested in imparting knowledge I'd appreciate it.

My HTC is coming to the end of it's life - it's turning off randomly and hanging up on people I'm talking to (sometimes this is welcomed, but that's a discussion for another forum).

Anyway, I'm probably going to switch to O2. They have a plan for €60 which has 800 minutes, 400 texts, a gig of data and free evening / weekend calls. I don't use many texts and I've never gone over my gig of internet, but I do use a lot of minutes - well in excess of the 500 max offered by Vodafone, my current provider.

Anyway, would anyone recommend a phone? I would like the following
    • a radio. not to have to download apps and worry about internet signal when I want to listen to the thing, I'd like a proper radio
    • a torch. I know you can light the screen, but the torch on the back of recent phones has been extremely useful when trying to find my tent in a campsite or just in general walking somewhere that is not lit.
    • Battery life. I remember the wonderful days when you could go away for the weekend and not have to bring a charger, because you would have plenty of battery for 3 days. I know that's not realistic now, but I would Like to get more than 24 hours out of it.
    • I'm not fussed about a camera. I'd like one, but don't need it to have 8 million megapixels.
    • I'd like it to play music, but I'm not sure what other than a big sound card makes a difference here.
    • I'd like it to be fairly small. I think my current screen is about 3.8 inches. I could go slightly bigger or smaller, but not much different I reckon. Thin and light would also be good.
    I'm not sure what else I'd want. If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate them. I don't really know what difference the different makes would make. I might go with HTC because I would then have 2 chargers.

Note: I don't want an iphone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Well on the plan, the tesco offer might suit you. It will mean you will have to buy a phone separately, but on the plus side you wont have a long term contact, its only a 30 day rolling contact so can leave anytime you like to switch to someone else. They use the o2 network so coverage isnt an issue.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/half-price-unlimited-promotion.aspx

Need to sign up by Thursday to avail of the offer though, unless it gets extended. Seem like an option, or do you want a phone included contract?

Tesco have a talkto forum on boards for CC issues:> http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1542

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭blue note

Davy wrote: »
    Well on the plan, the tesco offer might suit you. It will mean you will have to buy a phone separately, but on the plus side you wont have a long term contact, its only a 30 day rolling contact so can leave anytime you like to switch to someone else. They use the o2 network so coverage isnt an issue.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/half-price-unlimited-promotion.aspx

Need to sign up by Thursday to avail of the offer though, unless it gets extended. Seem like an option, or do you want a phone included contract?

Tesco have a talkto forum on boards for CC issues:> http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1542

Davy,

Thanks a million - I think I just signed up to it and I wouldn't have considered them without your post.

Now to pick a phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 - €189

Thoughts?

You didn't mention a budget so looked at tesco payg options first. This is really the only option from them for what you already posted. Something you would like?
    If not give more info on what your looking for...

Touchscreen?
    Non-smartphone?
    Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭blue note

Thanks again Davy. I have a touchscreen smart phone now, so might stick with that sort of phone. I had a look in tesco yesterday at the options on pay as you go (I need a prepay on that offer I think) and was thinking of that one as well as the HTC one for arond €180. I have a HTC and it's grand other than the fact that it's breaking down. I was going to get a samsung just for a change but a random punter in the shop who sounded like he knew what he was talking about was pushing me towards the HTC.

As regards price - I'd definitely stay under €200. Since it's such a good contract, I wouldn't mind too much paying that since I'd easily make it back over the year (when compared to a similar offer with another network).

Advertisement