Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of hob do I have?

Options
  • 28-01-2013 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Just trying to figure out what kind of electric hob I have? Is it glass ceramic or induction?

I can't find a model number on it and there isn't a manual for it with the other manuals we have in the house that we're renting.

The only information on the hob brand is Belling Fastlight, and the only other marking on it is Schott Ceran.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Switch on a ring without a pan on it, and if it glows and gets hot it's a ceramic hob. If it remains cold, it's an induction hob (or a broken ceramic one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

It glows, so you say ceramic?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Surely induction hobs would be pretty rare in (I'm assuming) rented housing. I'd say it's 99% a ceramic hob.

Also, moved to Food & Drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Recon wrote: »
    It glows, so you say ceramic?
    Yep, 100%. As Faith says, the chances of finding an induction hob in a rented property would be pretty low as they're quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Have you looked on their website? http://www.belling.co.uk/built-in-hobs

They have a twitter and Facebook account, maybe you can take a photo and show them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Thanks for the replies.

I gave a look through their site but no luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

When I googled it came up Belling Fastlite, and descriptions are of a ceramic hob - 'Fastlite' seems to refer to the fact that the elements heat up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Turn it on & off for a few seconds with no pot on top. Then hover your hand over it to feel for warmth. An induction hob will not have heated up.

Advertisement