Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS 6.1 out!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

107mb, took about 10 minutes OTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

If this doesn't fix my wifi issues I'm going to moan and moan and ultimately do nothing.

Bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

naasrd wrote: »
    107mb, took about 10 minutes OTA.

Was only 87mb for me on the 4S. Expect it to be slow to download for a few days as the servers take a hammering.

It's not exactly an exciting update though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

brophs wrote: »
    If this doesn't fix my wifi issues I'm going to moan and moan and ultimately do nothing.

Bah.

what issues are you having?

Blazer wrote: »
    what issues are you having?
    The problem I had been having (unable to connect to app store when on WPA2) persists. Changing to WPA solves it. I've had the problem on both an iPhone 4 and a new iPhone 5, so unless I'm extraordinarily unlucky it's hot hardware related.

At this point I've made the assumption that Apple either can't or aren't bothered to fix it for the many, many people having the same issue. They can get away with it in part down to the arrogance of their supporters who persist with telling us that there is no problem as not everyone has the same issue.

When I spoke to their support team they suggested buying an Apple router, despite the fact my Netgear router worked just fine on iOS 5. It's fair to say I haven't included it on my Santa list.:)
    Not at all. My router worked perfectly with iOS 5.There have been no router upgrades since then. Even if, as people are suggesting, Apple have begun to introduce some wireless standard properly in IOS 6 that they previously had not and Netgear's router does not comply with the recognised standard, Apple would surely have advised people beforehand based on their own tests that people would need to either change their routers or contact Netgear if they ran into wifi issues. It would have saved them an extraordinary amount of time and money in customer support. The fact they are still trying to address wifi issues tells its own story. Apple haven't said anything at all. Why in the world would they adopt that approach if they are not at fault? All of the confusion is being caused by their silence.

It's a software developer's duty, particularly in the case of devices such as these where they are, by their very nature, updated regularly, to make sure the software is (reasonably) backwards compatible. You can't simply decide to abandon a standard which has worked for millions of people and, without telling anyone, change to another which affects (an admittedly small) number of your consumers (if that is what they have done).

To use a basic analogy, it's like buying a car and as you're driving along the motorway it splutters to a halt. You contact the manufacturer and they claim they've never heard of the problem. You search online and it seems that they may have done something to your car, without warning, which means it's not compatible with certain stretches of the motorway. Even if it can't be fixed, they can help you to avoid it.

What I neglected to mention was poor wifi speeds/app downloads constantly failing etc. Hopefully this will sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Downloading know, have been on 5.1.1 for ages since I want my jailbreak. Looking forward to iOS6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it irritates me that in this day and age of wifi/cell data that FaceTime activation has to be done through sms. :mad:

woo passback now has a permanent card there to the app store for passbook enabled apps. love it.

238473.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Apple TV also updated today. Bluetooth keyboard support is a handy feature. Also there's been software released for a new unknown Apple TV unit. Could be just something minor or maybe a small refresh coming to the current Apple TV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Looks like jailbreak is coming on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

wifi issue not fixed, worse than ever, sitting ontop of the router helps signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Seen a comment on The Verge that said unofficial lightning cables and accessories will no longer work after 6.1. Anybody able to confirm this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Hate the new media control buttons on the lock screen. They seem like the aspect ratio is wrong or something, too squished.

The volume bar has a cool little gimmick though, if you look at the silver button on it, the "shine" now uses the accelerometer to move it as you tilt the phone. Pointless but I'm sure someone in Cupertino put loads of work into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

DubDJ wrote: »
    Seen a comment on The Verge that said unofficial lightning cables and accessories will no longer work after 6.1. Anybody able to confirm this?
    I'm still charging using a cable from dx on my iPhone 5 with no issues.

The volume bar has a cool little gimmick though, if you look at the silver button on it, the "shine" now uses the accelerometer to move it as you tilt the phone. Pointless but I'm sure someone in Cupertino put loads of work into it.
    That came in with iOS 6 but only in the multi task tray and the music app itself. It's nice and such a nice effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

it irritates me that in this day and age of wifi/cell data that FaceTime activation has to be done through sms. :mad:

What do you mean Facetime Activiation...

I use Facetime, updated and am not aware of any activation needs

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

What do you mean Facetime Activiation...

I use Facetime, updated and am not aware of any activation needs

DT
    To activate FaceTime apple sends an international text to confirm that you're phone can use FaceTime. This happens definitely when you do a full restore (i.e. not from backup) and it costs you money when it should just wait for a data connection to check this instead and not have it plugged into a SMS backend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jamesd wrote: »
    I'm still charging using a cable from dx on my iPhone 5 with no issues.

Me too, currently plugged into my work PC with no itunes using a DX lightning cable and charging no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

There won't be any FaceTime or iMessage reactivation after this update.

It's only asking for your password again because there are new iCloud terms and conditions.

If you skip that. You will see that everything is already activated but it will ask you to agree to the new terms and conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Maybe it wasn't activated before you updated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Especially a British SMS since that means that all Europeans except them have to pay for iMessage/FaceTime activation (unless your carrier, such as Three Ireland, have (finally) waived it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

What I neglected to mention was poor wifi speeds/app downloads constantly failing etc. Hopefully this will sort it.

If you're getting dropoffs from wifi, poor download speeds, not seeing wifi network etc it looks like hardware issue.
    Apple already replaced a mate's phone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

culabula wrote: »
    Especially a British SMS since that means that all Europeans except them have to pay for iMessage/FaceTime activation (unless your carrier, such as Three Ireland, have (finally) waived it.

I was wondering why they didn't dock me when I activated it recently. Good to know, thanks!

Blazer wrote: »
    If you're getting dropoffs from wifi, poor download speeds, not seeing wifi network etc it looks like hardware issue.
    Apple already replaced a mate's phone..

Nah, it's iOS 6 and whatever way it interacts with my router. It works fine on some other routers. My iPhone 4 had after I upgraded to iOS 6 it and when I upgraded to the 5 that had it too. Likewise we've had quite a few people with the problems on different devices, all of whom were on iOS 6. Anyone on iOS 5 and lower was fine. We've followed every troubleshooting step suggested from looking for a newer firmware update (there is none) to downgrading (it didn't work). The only thing that actually worked was not being on iOS 6.

That said, I haven't had a proper look to see if it has been solved by 6.1 but the early signs are pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Nice to be able to download single tracks from iTunes Match again. That was a major cock up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

culabula wrote: »

Meteor will refund all facetime activation texts opun request. Ive contacted them through twitter a few times, and each time the costs were credited to my account.

Advertisement