Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trailer Tyres

• 28-01-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I've had a reasonably sturdy 6x4 trailer overhauled so that it can take a load of about 500 kgs (new 1-tonne leaf suspension, new axle, new bearings). Problem is the tyres are old yokes and definitely feeling the strain, I'd say.
    A tyre shop told me I need "trailer tyres" as they are reinforced at the sides and better able to take the weight.
    Any advice or does anyone know where I could get remould trailer tyres if they exist? I was quoted 65 euro per tyre (R13's) by the shop near me for new ones. Can't find anything online...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Get van tyres with a decent load rating although you may struggle at 13". Otherwise go to an Ifor Williams dealer, new trailer tyres on rims are cheaper than you think, assuming they fit your stud pattern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Caddyvanman

Be carefull, i have heard that An Garda/Traffic Corp are now checking trailer tyres to see if they are fit for purpose ie: are they trailer tyres and do they have proper load rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

Thanks - hadn't thought of van tyres...
    I'll have a root around, see what I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

Be carefull, i have heard that An Garda/Traffic Corp are now checking trailer tyres to see if they are fit for purpose ie: are they trailer tyres and do they have proper load rating.

Damn - good point. It'd be obvious to any Garda that I'm well above the recommended weight for my tyres. Ah well. I'll just stump up for the right ones. No harm I spose....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

My 14ft Indespension uses 165R13C.. Basically van tyres. Federal ecovan.. €65 sounds spot on for price. Its rated for 2.8ton payload over 2 axles. Most places should stock them.

As Sean says, wheels on a rim can be good value from farm machinery stockists, or trailer parts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement