Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NQT Pay scale

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Hi wolfyboy555, I'm curious about your situation! When you say you did unqualified subbing in 2010, did you have your degree at this stage and was it in secondary or VEC? I did unqualified subbing in 2010 and like yourself, qualified post 2012, however with a b.ed as opposed to a h.dip following a degree - the dept of ed won't recognise the subbing from 2010 and therefore don't warrant me being on the old, pre 2011 scale! Any advice for me as to where I should go at this stage?

Hello. Yeah I had my degree done in 2010 and subbed in a secondary school. Then I qualified from my dip in 2012 and worked in VEC school and got pre -2011 scale plus degree allowance but no dip allowance. I am not sure where to go as I have lost track of all the recent circulars and updates about it since 2013. Maybe try the Union of you are in one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 clearview99

Hello. Yeah I had my degree done in 2010 and subbed in a secondary school. Then I qualified from my dip in 2012 and worked in VEC school and got pre -2011 scale plus degree allowance but no dip allowance. I am not sure where to go as I have lost track of all the recent circulars and updates about it since 2013. Maybe try the Union of you are in one ?

Thanks, yes I've contacted the union on this and awaiting a reply. So it's a case that the VEC in 2012 recognised your subbing from the voluntary sector in 2010 even tho from a voluntary perspective you were unqualified - correct me if I'm wrong but the voluntary sector don't class someone subbing without a h dip as qualified even if they have a bachelors degree? This is the general understanding that I got. Do you know can the VEC allocate you to one scale with allowances even if the dept of ed disagree? I've been told that the etb that I'm with might recognise the 2010 subbing and change scale accordingly but I'm wondering what would happen then if I went back to the voluntary sector?

Sorry to drag up an old thread. I came across this form and was wondering if anyone has claimed a qualification allowance using it.

https://www.education.ie/en/Education-Staff/Services/Payroll-Financial/Qualification-Allowance/Application-Form-for-Payment-of-a-Qualification-Allowance-to-Registered-Teachers.pdf

I am old the old scale with degree allowance but no dip allowance since I qualified 2012. I am wondering if it is applicable to me. I believe Apendix 5 in the following circular is relevant:

https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0008_2013.pdf

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm in the exact same position so would be interested to know how you get on!
    I find the problem is so few people are in the same position (cause there are lots of different posibilities with people qualified in 2011, 2012, 2013 all being different etc.) that it's hard to find reliable information.

dory wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same position so would be interested to know how you get on!
    I find the problem is so few people are in the same position (cause there are lots of different posibilities with people qualified in 2011, 2012, 2013 all being different etc.) that it's hard to find reliable information.

Did you do your subbing pre 2011 in VEC system Dory? From what I recall you are deemed qualified if subbing in VEC system but not in Voluntary system? It’s strange since I did my subbing in voluntary school in 2010 but still on the old scale. I was hired to teach some classes that year but never signed a contract or anything. I was paid by the department and my payslip just said “substitute basic” . Anyone else in a similar position? Don’t really want to apply and get them to look at my scale in case somehow they could put me onto new scales if there was an error.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Did you do your subbing pre 2011 in VEC system Dory? From what I recall you are deemed qualified if subbing in VEC system but not in Voluntary system? It’s strange since I did my subbing in voluntary school in 2010 but still on the old scale. I was hired to teach some classes that year but never signed a contract or anything. I was paid by the department and my payslip just said “substitute basic” . Anyone else in a similar position? Don’t really want to apply and get them to look at my scale in case somehow they could put me onto new scales if there was an error.

PMmed you in case we're being watched.... :cool::cool::cool:

Advertisement