Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoping to learn German/Spanish part time

• 28-01-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi there,

I just wanted to ask for recommendations on how to best learn German and Spanish through distance learning. I am a bit overwhelmed with options. I could do a basic course in a local school or adult education centre but I am up for a challenge. I see there is an App from Mindsnacks where you can learn languages. Can any one recommend this for a start or is there any other online site that is good for distance learning. Babbel is another site I have heard of but know nothing about. Just looking for feedback and advice.

Wish I focused more at school on learning a 2nd European language fluently. Irish schools don't seem to focus it at Primary level as they do in rest of Europe. I believe that is the best time to pick it up at a young age.

Thanks!

D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

If you can wait until the end of the month, my online language site will be in full operation. Spanish is one of the languages. I will be having a introductory offer for the first month. If you wish I can pm you the website details

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭simon0brien

I use Pimsleur CD's and Teach Yourself Complete Spanish and Teach Yourself Perfect Your Spanish. These are the best courses on which to lay the foundations in my opinion. The TY packages are very reasonably priced around 35 Euro for the Complete packages. I get the Pimsleur CD's free for the Dublin Libraries. Then all you need is a lot of dedication and a positive outlook :P

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niallcon4re

I use Pimsleur CD's and Teach Yourself Complete Spanish and Teach Yourself Perfect Your Spanish. These are the best courses on which to lay the foundations in my opinion. The TY packages are very reasonably priced around 35 Euro for the Complete packages. I get the Pimsleur CD's free for the Dublin Libraries. Then all you need is a lot of dedication and a positive outlook :P

Can you get Pimsleurs from the Ilac centre library? I am currently just starting Brazilian Portuguese and have the first 60 sessions but not the final 30 and I can't find it anywhere. I find it very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭simon0brien

Can you get Pimsleurs from the Ilac centre library? I am currently just starting Brazilian Portuguese and have the first 60 sessions but not the final 30 and I can't find it anywhere. I find it very useful.

Yep they have loads on a rack.. If they don't have what you want there you can order It from another Dublin Library..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niallcon4re

I've done Spanish with Michel Thomas and it is fantastic. It explains the whole grammar of the language (worry about vocabulary later) . I know the Instituto de Cervantus have it in the library and you can get it there, costs about 30 euro to join their library.

Then once you know the grammar (will need 2-3 months), do pimsleur to get a feel for the sound and build up vocab (I've done pimsleur portugues so know the general feel of it)

After these two you'll have the basics and then it is just learning vocab and practicing listening and speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I've done Spanish with Michel Thomas and it is fantastic. It explains the whole grammar of the language (worry about vocabulary later) .

I agree with Michel Thomas being great for the grammar, you should also be sure to revise and let it soak in. Michel Thomas actually offer a 5 disc vocab builder, for use after the advanced course. I have it but haven't started it yet, but it says it teaches 1,000~ words and phrases.

Advertisement