Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actors in Irish Films, Where are they now?

Options
  • 28-01-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

I have recently watched some of the classic Irish films, such as Into the West, The Barrytown Trilogys.

I am curious to find out where some of the cast members who played major and minor roles in those films are today, besides of the obvious ones. like who, what and where are all the Curley family from The Snapper and also Sharons friends, the butchers in the supermarket and the gossiping oul'ones. Ozzie and Tito and all the traveller kids in Into the west. The gang from the Commitments.

Feel free to add who you like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Rúaidhrí Conroy (Tito) was in an Oscar winning short a few years back. He's still acting in things a fair bit.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0175860/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This would be a better fit for the Films forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Rúaidhrí Conroy (Tito) was in an Oscar winning short a few years back. He's still acting in things a fair bit.

Tito? I always thought his name was Tayto (like the crisps).

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

Hematocyte wrote: »

Thats what i thought too buy apparently its Tito

I only know it's Tito cause I looked up Conroy's IMDB page. It's pronounced Tayto though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Rúaidhrí Conroy (Tito) was in an Oscar winning short a few years back. He's still acting in things a fair bit.[/QUOTE]

He flew over for the ceremony that year, but never got to the Oscars.
    He was detained at the airport for overstaying his Visa (by some very short time, as I recall) on a previous visit.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

I only know it's Tito cause I looked up Conroy's IMDB page. It's pronounced Tayto though. :)

I seen it on wikipedia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The ginja fella from The Butcher Boy was in a brief scene in the last series of Love/Hate

The blond one from The Commitments is in Shameless the UK series

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The ginja fella from The Butcher Boy was in a brief scene in the last series of Love/Hate

The blond one from The Commitments is in Shameless the UK series

good oul francie brady, which one does she play in shameless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Well Colm Meaney has been in loads since and even before the likes of The Snapper, Under Siege, small scene in Die Hard 2. Later on he was in Con Air, Intermission, Law Abiding Citizen. Along with him, Gabriel Byrne and Stephen Rea were in a lot of big films.

Andrew Strong (Deco from the commitments) never became overly famous around the world but still does tour from time to time.

Maria Kennedy Doyle has done well enough herself, think she has released a few albums, played Cahills wife in the General and was a main character in The Tudors as one of Henry VIII wives.

Angelina Ball was in a few more films after The Commitments. Was also in The General as Cahills sister-in-law. Remember seeing her in Eastenders a few years back.

Glen Hansard went on to win an Oscar years later for a song he wrote and does sometimes busk on Grafton Street.

Never really saw much of anyone from The Snapper afterwards. Think one of Sharron's older bros (the army fella) was in a few films and fair city.

Georgie Burges was also in the general.

Only ever say the Tito fella in a Stardust fire tv film.

Francie Brady aka butcher boy was in the general as younger cahill and was also in Studs a few years later.

Adrian Dunbarr was another actor I thought was decent, was in the second series of Ashes to Ashes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Well Colm Meaney has been in loads since and even before the likes of The Snapper, Under Siege, small scene in Die Hard 2. Later on he was in Con Air, Intermission, Law Abiding Citizen. Along with him, Gabriel Byrne and Stephen Rea were in a lot of big films.

Andrew Strong (Deco from the commitments) never became overly famous around the world but still does tour from time to time.

Maria Kennedy Doyle has done well enough herself, think she has released a few albums, played Cahills wife in the General and was a main character in The Tudors as one of Henry VIII wives.

Angelina Ball was in a few more films after The Commitments. Was also in The General as Cahills sister-in-law. Remember seeing her in Eastenders a few years back.

Glen Hansard went on to win an Oscar years later for a song he wrote and does sometimes busk on Grafton Street.

Never really saw much of anyone from The Snapper afterwards. Think one of Sharron's older bros (the army fella) was in a few films and fair city.

Georgie Burges was also in the general.

Only ever say the Tito fella in a Stardust fire tv film.

Francie Brady aka butcher boy was in the general as younger cahill and was also in Studs a few years later.

Adrian Dunbarr was another actor I thought was decent, was in the second series of Ashes to Ashes.
    I think one of Sharon's friends is Jenny Kelly. She's the woman engaged to ray darcy and has 2 kids with him

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bronagh Gallagher from 'The Commitments' turned up in 'Pulp Fiction'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

spurious wrote: »
    Bronagh Gallagher from 'The Commitments' turned up in 'Pulp Fiction'.

she was also in the recent film The Grabbers, and still holds the joint record for the most swear words in a film but I can't remember what the other film was

Dtp79 wrote: »
    I think one of Sharon's friends is Jenny Kelly. She's the woman engaged to ray darcy and has 2 kids with him

There's a Jennifer Kelly in the credits alright, not sure if that's the same person though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Andrea Corr was in The Commitments who went on to star in The Boys and Girls from County Clare, done absolutely nothing else though.
    Of vourse Brendan Gleeson had a small part in The Snapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

There's a Jennifer Kelly in the credits alright, not sure if that's the same person though.
    It's definately her. I've heard it several times on the ray darcy show on which she's also a co- presenter!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Ipso wrote: »
    Andrea Corr was in The Commitments who went on to star in The Boys and Girls from County Clare, done absolutely nothing else though.

She had an itty-bitty walk-on part in Evita.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they are all living in Gay Byrnes pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Dtp79 wrote: »
    It's definately her. I've heard it several times on the ray darcy show on which she's also a co- presenter!
    It is the same Jenny Kelly alright but she didn't play Sharon Curley's friends, she played the girl behind the counter in the Supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Ipso wrote: »

Well, apart from being in the Corrs

kilograms wrote: »
    the butchers in the supermarket

I remember the scene, but were they even actors?

Hematocyte wrote: »

No Tito, he was the itinerant from Tijuana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Bronagh Gallagher's released a few albums I think.

Colm Meany's been in loads of recent stuff - including the Alan Partridge movie from last year.

"Kay", his wife in the movie, was in something recently too, I saw the trailer for it. Some Irish movie.

Brendan Gleeson played "Lester" (the Bimbo character in the Snapper). He's doing well for himself. :)

Not sure what happened to the "si senor" guy though. He was a much better Bertie than Brendan O'Carroll.

Glen Hansard - The Frames etc.

Robert Arkins who played the Commitments' manager didn't do much, but he did do that single that was a remix of the Late Late theme music in a big beat / Fatboy Slim style. Strictly Fish or something?

Advertisement