Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is with me? 7th Chevron Edition

Options
  • 28-01-2013 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Ok folks, the time has come. Over the last year I've fully watched Star Trek ENT, DS9 & Voyager, and most recently Space: Above & Beyond. Sufficient time has passed for me to do only my second ever viewing of all things Stargate...& you know what? I cannot f**king wait :cool:

In about half an hour I'm gonna kick off with the original feature film, Kurt Russel fan that I am. Then from tomorrow I'll start SG1, eventually merging in Atlantis, the two SG1 features, & then Universe. Lets see how long all of that will keee me busy!

So, has anyone yet to embark on such a quest? Is anyone part way through a run-through? Speak!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

Oh I have watched them straight through god knows how many times now, at least 7 or 8 times minimum and it never gets old.

I still wish they would make more movies though...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

kwalsh000 wrote: »
    Oh I have watched them straight through god knows how many times now, at least 7 or 8 times minimum and it never gets old.

I still wish they would make more movies though...:(

This runthrough only feels like the first, as its been that long they all seem new to me again :cool:

More movies would be cool, would have loved a tie in between all three series

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I've never got time to do a run through. But this year looks like a real possibility to cover all of SG-1, Atlantis, the Ark of Truth and Continiuum. I cannot wait. :D

Have to get the boxsets first.:o

Ok, first few observations & questions:

In the movie, the planet they first open the gate to is said to be on the other side of the known Universe. I assume this is just how it was in the film, & then they decided to bring everything closer in the series and as such its a continuity error?

Secondly, in Children of the Gods...what is the story with the group of people who look like Greeks that Apophis goes to & lets them 'pick out children of the Gods'? I don't remember anything like this in other Goa'uld circles. Whats the idea of picking out children, they actually took Scara? Also, a female was carrying his queen which she then passed onto Jacksons wife, is she a female Jaffa?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ok, first few observations & questions:

In the movie, the planet they first open the gate to is said to be on the other side of the known Universe. I assume this is just how it was in the film, & then they decided to bring everything closer in the series and as such its a continuity error?

Secondly, in Children of the Gods...what is the story with the group of people who look like Greeks that Apophis goes to & lets them 'pick out children of the Gods'? I don't remember anything like this in other Goa'uld circles. Whats the idea of picking out children, they actually took Scara? Also, a female was carrying his queen which she then passed onto Jacksons wife, is she a female Jaffa?

I remember reading or listening to an interview post the 200th episode where they went through a list of Continuity errors. I might be wrong, but I think the "Thunderbirds" like scene lampoons the continuity errors between the pilot and original series. In any case I think you're right. Abydos (sp?) is moved seemingly a lot closer to Earth.

At the start of COG Apohis comes to Earth to Kidnap women. He does the same in Abydos and presumably several other planets. He's just foraging for a suitable host for his wife.
    Iirc, The Goau'ld are a bit likes clones and retain genetic memory of their parents. So it's a bit like incest with the mother being the mother of the mother. (Think this is best explained in the episode in the later seasons where a group of villagers are harvesting Goauld symbiotes from a Queen and she was knowingly giving them all birth defects so the humans couldn't use them and, I think, started suffering from some illness they couldn't sure.
    She wasn't a Goauld. She was a Tok'ra.
    )
    Yep, the woman carrying the queen was a Jaffa, like Teal'c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Getting your head around Goa'uld offspring isn't straight forward, to me it seems as if there are three different types.

1: A Goa'uld couple in human male and female hosts (Non queen) would have adopted/taken a host for a procured Goa'uld symbiote, Scara for example. (Goa'uld adoption)
    2: A Goa'uld Queen has her own offspring which she can genetically manipulate to her own needs or those of other Goa'uld, Hathor and the above post spolier for example.
    3: The Goa'uld version of a no no, Harsesis, the offspring between a human male and female host but female being a Goa'uld Queen.

1: A Goa'uld couple in human male and female hosts (Non queen) would have adopted/taken a host for a procured Goa'uld symbiote, Scara for example. (Goa'uld adoption)

I'm not sure these people were Goa'Uld though, SG1 were sitting at a large table with them when Apophis walked in & they all bowed. Don't think any Goa'Uld would welcome humans to a table like that, & there were no glowing eyes - although a while after Scara is taken we see him attacking O'Neil with a Goa'Uld weapon & his eyes glowed :confused:

Maybe these are just teething discrepancies that I wouldn't have noticed watching the first time around, & that the writers wern't sure of the eventual direction the show would take?

I'm not sure these people were Goa'Uld though, SG1 were sitting at a large table with them when Apophis walked in & they all bowed. Don't think any Goa'Uld would welcome humans to a table like that, & there were no glowing eyes - although a while after Scara is taken we see him attacking O'Neil with a Goa'Uld weapon & his eyes glowed :confused:

Maybe these are just teething discrepancies that I wouldn't have noticed watching the first time around, & that the writers wern't sure of the eventual direction the show would take?

I really need to watch the episode but I think, (there's a huge chance I'm thinking of the wrong scene, or worse, confabulating one :( ) there's a group of humans who believe the Goa'uld's to be Gods and they betray SG-1.

Scara is taken as a host for Apohis's son. So when you see him with the glowy eyes that's Apohis's son inside him.

Jernal wrote: »
    I really need to watch the episode but I think, (there's a huge chance I'm thinking of the wrong scene, or worse, confabulating one :( ) there's a group of humans who believe the Goa'uld's to be Gods and they betray SG-1.

Scara is taken as a host for Apohis's son. So when you see him with the glowy eyes that's Apohis's son inside him.

I think thats further on, this is literally in the pilot episode. They open the gate to 'Tulac' {which should be really Teal'c's homeworld} & there they are greeted by these wandering monks. The monks take them to the town, where in this building SG1 sit down at the table with what look like Greek/Roman type people. Then Aphophis walks in & they all bow. I just remember thinking, who are these people & why do they get to choose other innocents as 'children of the gods'? :confused:

I think thats further on, this is literally in the pilot episode. They open the gate to 'Tulac' {which should be really Teal'c's homeworld} & there they are greeted by these wandering monks. The monks take them to the town, where in this building SG1 sit down at the table with what look like Greek/Roman type people. Then Aphophis walks in & they all bow. I just remember thinking, who are these people & why do they get to choose other innocents as 'children of the gods'? :confused:

Ahh I think I remember this. It's the bit where Daniel meets "reunites" with his "wife" again? Those Greek/Romans think the Goa'ulds were Gods. So what God says goes. They follow their Gods and if I remember correctly they initially thought SG-1 were also Gods because they came through the Stargate?

• Advertisement

Ahh I think I remember this. It's the bit where Daniel meets "reunites" with his "wife" again? Those Greek/Romans think the Goa'ulds were Gods. So what God says goes. They follow their Gods and if I remember correctly they initially thought SG-1 were also Gods because they came through the Stargate?

Correct! I just was baffled later on when these people were led into the prisoner room to choose other people to put Goa'Uld into...

I think it's teething issues because later on you have Goa'Uld that serve other Goa'Uld but they're still considered gods by Jaffa. The table bit might be explained as well by a later episode, it's not immediately pointed out about Jaffa and Goa'Uld being able to sense each other.

There's another bit in the episode that made me wonder, I think I brought it up before, when Apophis enters Stargate Command he somehow manages to reopen the Stargate even though there is no DHD.

There's another bit in the episode that made me wonder, I think I brought it up before, when Apophis enters Stargate Command he somehow manages to reopen the Stargate even though there is no DHD.

Yep that got me too, maybe its just he some kind of remote dialer?

Yep that got me too, maybe its just he some kind of remote dialer?

I thought the same but then they use the DHD in other episodes.

I thought the same but then they use the DHD in other episodes.

Good point. Must be an error so. Teething problems abound :D

Was it not the ultra rare two way wormhole?

Was it not the ultra rare two way wormhole?

I thought that at first but when I watched it again the Stargate is actually disengaged during the fire fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Did they not add the iris after this point?

The original iris was installed in 1997. It was first seen when Jack O'Neill and his team returned from Abydos. General George S. Hammond described it as Earth's "insurance against any more surprises," referring to Apophis' recent attack on Earth.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Iris
    I thought that at first but when I watched it again the Stargate is actually disengaged during the fire fight.

The Iris was to prevent entering the base, bit we're referring to was how Apophis managed to open the Stargate from the SGC side without a DHD, but yes it was added after that attack.

Well I finished Season 1 there last week some time. Compared to the behemoth the show eventually becomes, it does start out pretty 'young' as the Nox would say :D

A lot of cheesy societies, cheesy costumes for them, weak enough episodes...its all very early days. I think it starts picking up from Season 3 onwards, but thank god this show wasn't made today because it would have been cancelled after two seasons at most.

It does however give you time to get the know the characters, & thats why in later seasons, its such a damned fine show :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

I agree with you there but it did introduce us to some great other characters aswell like the Unas and such but the cheesyness always shines through :P

kwalsh000 wrote: »
    I agree with you there but it did introduce us to some great other characters aswell like the Unas and such but the cheesyness always shines through :P

Agreed, it definitely sews the seeds for later brilliance alright. Almost all shows are weak when they begin...look at Star Trek TNG's Season 1...god awful stuff. But given time to mature & find direction, it raised the bar for Sci-Fi in its day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Well I finished Season 1 there last week some time. Compared to the behemoth the show eventually becomes, it does start out pretty 'young' as the Nox would say :D

A lot of cheesy societies, cheesy costumes for them, weak enough episodes...its all very early days. I think it starts picking up from Season 3 onwards, but thank god this show wasn't made today because it would have been cancelled after two seasons at most.

It does however give you time to get the know the characters, & thats why in later seasons, its such a damned fine show :cool:

They did make it today and it was cancelled after two seasons :p

Its our loss, Universe was starting to find its stride. SG-1 certainly didn't make for better viewing pound for pound when you compare the first two seasons.

That's Universe though not SG1 which was new/fresh at the time.

Nearing the end of Season 2 now, its definitely starting to ramp up :) It had the Jolinar/Carter ep, the great Tok'Ra two parter, the epic Fifth Race episode, it touches on the NID/Civilian interference with the Antarctic Gate...

Starting to really enjoy it now :cool:

Fifth Race

:D

:D

You didn't like it?? :eek:

You didn't like it?? :eek:

Loved it.

• Advertisement

Finished Season 4 there earlier today. Tis really finding its feet now & hitting a stride. The first two/three seasons are really worth sticking through. Kicking off Season 5 tonight :)

Advertisement