Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Abroad Expo

Options
  • 28-01-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or tips. Looking to go to have a look and will bring CV and qualifications.

Just never been to one before

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The feedback we have got in the past is that it's a bunch of companies trying to sell you stuff (visa company, recruiters etc), rarely any helpful advice and not much point in a CV, but you can bring it along just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

What would a recruiter be trying to sell people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ledge87

Im back from oz, and to be-honest im sorry i didnt go to the expos b4 i went.

From chatting to friends in oz there is a lot of people working out there who got their jobs through the expos, especially in the mines.

Nothing to lose and loads to gain i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

ledge87 wrote: »
    Im back from oz, and to be-honest im sorry i didnt go to the expos b4 i went.

From chatting to friends in oz there is a lot of people working out there who got their jobs through the expos, especially in the mines.

Nothing to lose and loads to gain i think.
    Oh really.

My brother and I went, complete waste. All the job "offers" were fill in the form affairs at the Construction and Trade desks (ie no people). The regional desks only were interested in WHV people, who dont need any actual "support" from over this side anyhow.

I did fill in some forms and got a call from Visa First 6months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ledge87

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Oh really.

My brother and I went, complete waste. All the job "offers" were fill in the form affairs at the Construction and Trade desks (ie no people). The regional desks only were interested in WHV people, who dont need any actual "support" from over this side anyhow.

I did fill in some forms and got a call from Visa First 6months later.

From what one of my mate was saying (he is currently in the mines) if a company agrees to do these expos they have to agree to hire x amount of people depending on their size obviously. Otherwise why would they bother coming to Ireland looking for people.
    I do know there is a lot of recruitment and visa crowds that trade at these fairs and i would deffo stay away from them, its complete waste of time going to recruiters. I meet at least a dozen in oz (degree qualified engineer) and didnt get so much as an interview from them. :mad:
    Most of the ozzie companies who employ direct over there are as you mentioned above fill in a form and they review to see if your suitable.
    As far as im concerned if you got one job lead or piece of info you didnt have b4 the expo, the trip was worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Start emailing businesses and stuff. Thats what i did and worked a treat. I drove to that expo and didn't/couldn't get in. So if you want to get in camp out side it. Seriously the crowds at it were huge.

@Matt, did you ever make it to Oz in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

ledge87 wrote: »
    As far as im concerned if you got one job lead or piece of info you didnt have b4 the expo, the trip was worth it.
    Yeah, thats what Im saying didnt happen, it was worthless. The people at the show were only setup for "fresh" Tradesmen, despite the way it was advertised. I knew more about the VISA options than they did. They told me they werent setup for people with a decade+ of experience.
    Plug wrote: »
    @Matt, did you ever make it to Oz in the end?

Very nearly almost at the end of '12, had Sponsorship agreed but due to a last minute regulatory oversight on their end, fell through. :(
    However Im still applying and following other leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I was there last year and heres how it went

Arrived around 9-ish and the queue was 20meters short of the gate. I queued somewhere in the region of 4hours. Was pretty depressing seeing the sheer number of people wanting to leave. Finally got in around 1 and spent about 10minutes in there before i left. As a science graduate with 1 years experience there was nothing really there for me, it was more geared towards nurses, tradesman and a variety of visa agents. When i left the queue was snaking out the gate and down the road. Staff were telling people near the gate not to bother as the waiting time was too long and they wouldnt get in.

So if youre really intent on going, go early. 6 or 7 in the morning early otherwise be prepared to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

It depends who is putting the event on, if its Irish organised and costs to get in its a waste of time, if its an Australiain organised event and free of charge it could be worthwhile, I went to an Australian organised one a year and a half ago, I am here on a 457 happy out for the last 6 months (20 years exp btw!!)

No6 wrote: »
    It depends who is putting the event on, if its Irish organised and costs to get in its a waste of time, if its an Australiain organised event and free of charge it could be worthwhile, I went to an Australian organised one a year and a half ago, I am here on a 457 happy out for the last 6 months (20 years exp btw!!)

Hi, how can one tell who organized it

Thanks

• Advertisement

From the invatation I got to it, it was organised by an Australian local government recruitment organisation.

No6 wrote: »
    From the invatation I got to it, it was organised by an Australian local government recruitment organisation.

How did you get an invitation. And the fact that who is organising it would make it worthwhile?

I'll be totally honest and say I have no idea how they got my name, I got an email about it one day, I hummed and hawed about going as I had been to a few similar things before and they were a waste of time but I went I didnt bring my CV but I did make contact with the organisation who brought me over here and the rest as they say is history.

Advertisement