Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Pussies

• 28-01-2013 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

I went downstairs to get myself a drink there, & in the sitting room are two fairly elderly mogs {15 & 16} flaked out in front of the open fire. I was petting them for a few mins & started to notice static building up on my hand & every time my hand went near their heads we'd get a little static shock. All their hair stands on end when I brush it over their coats, both of them its happening to. This seems to only happen in the heat! Petting them normally at normal temperature doesn't yield the same results. Bizarre!

Anyone ever notice this, does it happen dogs too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Is there carpet in the room? may be static from your feet rubbing on the carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

OMG!! One of my cats goes through stages of major electrical activity - cant pin it down to any reason in particular but Ive got some shocks off him:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is there carpet in the room? may be static from your feet rubbing on the carpet.

One was lying in a cat basket type thing, & the other lying on the mat.

This happened before a few years ago I only remembered, I was petting one of them while they were out lying in the sun on wooden decking. After a few pets, static started building up again and I & the mog got shocked once his/her head was petted. It seems once the cat is bathed in heat, petting tends to rapidly build up static & their ears act as a tiny lightning rod :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

I claim shenanigans on that title. Very misleading! :cool:

7ofBrian wrote: »
    I claim shenanigans on that title. Very misleading! :cool:

The title is fine, its your filthy mind that is dubious here :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

EnterNow wrote: »
    The title is fine, its your filthy mind that is dubious here :p

You would think its fine with a name like EnterNow lol :P

I have problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Did anyone else feel disapointed when they started reading this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

EnterNow wrote: »
    One was lying in a cat basket type thing, & the other lying on the mat.

This happened before a few years ago I only remembered, I was petting one of them while they were out lying in the sun on wooden decking. After a few pets, static started building up again and I & the mog got shocked once his/her head was petted. It seems once the cat is bathed in heat, petting tends to rapidly build up static & their ears act as a tiny lightning rod :o

My only theory is that their older thinner hair is somehow reacting differently when warmed up (it may be that it offers less resistance) and storing static which is building up when they walk on a surface with friction or is passing onto them easier due to the said thinner hair and you are acting as an earth. A more vulgar mind would say that your old electric pussies are discharging into you. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

aujopimur wrote: »
    Did anyone else feel disapointed when they started reading this.
    First thought in my mind was Mrs Slocombe....:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Alrighty folks... This forum is frequented by youngsters, so let's moderate our posts to reflect that.

After Hours is thataway>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Back on topic please

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

One of my cats is very prone to static especially when we boop her nose, she gets a shock right on the snozz and isn't to impressed by it! The other fella never seems to have static though

One of my cats is very prone to static especially when we boop her nose, she gets a shock right on the snozz and isn't to impressed by it! The other fella never seems to have static though

Both of these guys get the zapp when you touch their nose, exactly like you describe. They don't be impressed at all & seem to cringe when your about to pat their heads again :o

Its really weird, as I said it doesn't happen them unless they are being baked at the fireside or lying out in the sun.

My only theory is that their older thinner hair is somehow reacting differently when warmed up

The male is a long-haired ginger, & a thin coat is not what he has at all. We found him out the back garden about 15 years ago as a tiny little ginger ball of fur so we gave him a home. He has retained distrust of things he isn't familiar with & grooming him is not an option as he'll flip out. So to prevent his coat going all clumpy he has to get a haircut every year or so

Advertisement