Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you borrow money for INK?

Options
  • 28-01-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

So, I'm sitting here thinking about my next tattoo and knowing full well that it aint goin to happen for the foreseeable future, cash flow being how it is!

Then I was thinking about the Credit Union, and some that do loans for 6% - 7% if it's secured by savings...

E.g. €1,000 over 1 year, €20 per week, total paid back €1040 ish

That's 40 squids for 1000... (max would be 60ish for a top interest rate)

Would you do it? I am seriously thinking about it, though there are loads of other things I could be spending the money on, like bills :confused:

(btw i don't work for a Credit Union, though do work in the industry, so have seen a lot of the different loan products they have etc.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Open a savings account with Rabo, they're giving away €30 as a sign up bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Personally, I wouldn't, unless I had absolutely NO other money that I owed, be it to bills or otherwise.

If I was in a position where a loan would help me out financially, then I am personally not in any fit place financially to borrow for tattoos instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I agree with eso. A tattoo is not something I'd get a loan for. In my mind loans are for those things are absolutely needed right at that time. Anything else can be saved for.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭murfinho

Yeah you're both probably right! The only thing with saving though is like in the movie 'Up', the savings jar always gets busted open for something :)

I kinda jokingly mentioned bills too, but wouldn't actually borrow money for a tattoo if there were bills outstanding - that would just be irresponsible! You lot are like a wee white angel on my shoulder though, keeping us all on the straight and narrow!

Still - saving takes AGES and since I got my first tattoo in November, I really want to get more...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

murfinho wrote: »
    Still - saving takes AGES and since I got my first tattoo in November, I really want to get more...

We all know that feeling :D

Use the time to get to know tattoo artists. I was talking to a friend of mine the other night who's paid for 4 out of his 13 tattoos. I was sick.

• Advertisement

Orim wrote: »
    We all know that feeling :D

Use the time to get to know tattoo artists. I was talking to a friend of mine the other night who's paid for 4 out of his 13 tattoos. I was sick.

There has to be a rule against that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

You could do what I did. I had a tattoo planned for the end of last year, but unfortunately, I ended up spending all of my savings on Christmas presents for my family, about €1500 more than I was expecting to, because I went on a mad spending spree because I wanted to make them happy. :pac:

So, I got a small tattoo on my arm to tide me over til my next one. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I would borrow for a tattoo.If it was something that I really really wanted like my back piece hell yeah Id go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

No, it'd be stupid imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

What I actually do to finance my tattoos is trade on Betfair, usually make about a fiver a day, the fivers tend to add up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I would borrow a small amount, maybe up to €500 to pay for one, but only if I had a steady income to cover the repayments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I don't think so. I couldn't afford a loan now since I don't have an income and if I dd have an income the I'd just save.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    So, I got a small tattoo on my arm to tide me over til my next one. :pac:

That's not a bad idea!!

It definitely depends on each person's circumstances, I think I would definitely do it, just not at the minute as there are a few other more urgent things that need to get sorted first, like home improvements!! ** shudder **

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

If I was confident I could pay it back and it was something massive like a back piece yeah I'd do it. Especially if for some reason I had the opportunity to get booked in with a killer artist who's always booked out or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I'd take a small loan out from the credit union, something within my shares that could easily be paid back, if it was a piece I really really wanted and had no other major expenditure coming up. A €500 lumps sum is hard to come by, €20 a week is fairly easy!

Advertisement