Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pony scratching

Options
  • 28-01-2013 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭

Hi,have our new pony(11.1)for about 3 weeks,she has a few bald patches that we are treating at the moment that we think may be rain scalds.

Think she may have come from the woods and was with a bunch of other ponys that was let roam a bit.She seems to be scratching a lot when she gets the rug of in the box especially,and if she gets among the trees out in the field, she really gets at them.Does this sound excessive and what the best treatment to give her if it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Could it be lice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

There's a chance it could still be rain rot. Is there patchy fur with clumps underneath? As fits said, it could also be lice.

Horses scratch for loads of reasons! Allergies, rain rot/scald, lice, sweet itch, ringworm etc.
    If you've washed the horse with something like diluted hibiscrub and treated her for lice, I'd call the vet if it hasn't stopped, just to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Might get a good wash for her,been treating the rain rot with a mix of listerine diluted with water and is seems to be growing her coat back on the bald spots,wonder should i give her a worm dose or is there any need?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

tipptom wrote: »
    Might get a good wash for her,been treating the rain rot with a mix of listerine diluted with water and is seems to be growing her coat back on the bald spots,wonder should i give her a worm dose or is there any need?

I would second the hibiscrub! Great disinfectant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

tipptom wrote: »
    wonder should i give her a worm dose or is there any need?

When was her last worm dose?

• Advertisement
Advertisement