Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manhole in front garden

Options
  • 28-01-2013 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

Just wondering that there are any issues with a manhole(square and without holes) in front garden just right out the door.It seems like only few houses have them in front garden in the area.What is it there for? Will it dis-value the house? Really have no clue about this.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its most likely the main sewer. Its standard that every few houses in a row would have one. Only ever needed for access in a blockage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

It's only really a problem in a back garden as if you ever want to build over them you need to move it at considerable expense. I don't see a problem in a front garden, except for landscaping problems I suppose.

I don't think they would devalue a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

They are no problem if there is no problem :-) I have one of them and it's the main access point to the main sewer on the street, all the drains from the terrace before me go through this. I had a problem when I moved in, one of the neighbours was putting I don't know what down their toilet so the thing kept filling up and I had to have it cleared twice. since it is on your property, all other houses expect you to foot the bill if it blocks, despite it not being your fault. Thankfully in my case it sorted itself, but I had already been on the Environmental health to help identify the problem and advise neighbouring houses that this part of the sewer was the responsibility of all the houses it services. So just to keep that in mind. But the problem was short lived and I've had no problems with it ever since. It stopped when the neighbours moved out :-) I saw things like crisps packets and stuff floating in it!!!

Advertisement