Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "what the hell do I call my training log?" training log...

Options
  • 29-01-2013 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

OK. Everyone else is doing this so I guess I might as well give it a lash. Now that YoungAnne, Meno et al have potty trained us DCM12 novices, I figure it's time to make my own way in the world.

So the obligatory biog: male, mid-thirties (ok latter half of 37), married with 3 kids (1 big, 2 littler), a dog and a cat. Sedentary occupation, 2 years of part time studies and no interest in field sports = early stages of middle-age spread. :eek: So I was vulnerable...to lunacy.

That lunacy came in the form of my sister-in-law who, between Christmas 11 & New Year 12, called Mrs. D and suggested that she and little Dilbert (her husband, my baby bro) and older Dilbert (older bro) & his wife should do the Edinburgh marathon together in May '12. Great - entered that, booked the flights & the accommodation. Then they started dropping like flies. Injury, disorganisation, etc. Till it was me & Mrs. D. Me who'd never run more than twice in a month.

Fast forward through a 20 week preparation period, interrupted by 6 weeks of injury (runners knee) and a struggle through the Edinburgh marathon in 4:58 (2:15 for first half, 2:43 for second half) on a scorching hot day. That wasn't how it was supposed to be. So to right that wrong I turned to Boards and joined the DCM12 Novices thread, using Hal Higdon Novice 2 and (to cut a long story short) targeted 3:54 - finished in 3:54. More like it - and a fantastic experience to boot.

Fast forward a bit more and I've since done the Waterford half in a PB of 1:38:38, came 25/32 in the Co. Wexford Masters XC (first XC race ever) and just finished the John Treacy 10m in Dungarvan in 72:07 (target was 72m).

Targets for this year are Great Limerick Run (5th May - must book this week) and DCM13 (28th October?). And so the next leg of the journey begins...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Arrived for this with close to an hour to spare. Parked near the sports centre, jogged down to check it out, back to the car to jettison the jacket (and make the difficult decision about how much or little to wear - settled on 2 t-shirts, shorts, hat, snood & gloves) and back down for a final pit stop.

Started meeting boardsies at this stage - The Rook was the first, followed by Blockic, DocJewel, Gavlor and the irrepressible Career_Move. Having the same target of 72min as CM, we started off together. By 2k I was starting to regret all the clothing - hat was off before 3k, closely followed by the gloves (which I thought I'd tucked together in a ball and then managed to mysteriously lose one - so I carried one frigging glove the whole way around:( They were a Christmas present from one of the kids too, so I'd hardly had a chance to use them). Congestion was pretty bad around this stage - 75min pace group were in front of us but we were running 72min pace.:confused: DocJewel was with us too around this time but we were starting to fall quite a bit behind schedule. Had to do some squeezing past but got back on target by the first water station.

By about 7 or 8k, I was overheating so much that I was feeling physically sick so the snood came off too. Somewhere between losing the gloves and the snood, I also lost contact with CM & DocJewel so I was on my own from then. Kept going and decided I was going to keep on keeping going - but by God it wasn't easy. Hail shower at around 10k ish and memories of the 2012 Wexford half came back. But it didn't last long thankfully. The mile markers were passing pretty quickly. Was waiting for the 8m marker from which (I'd been reliably informed) the wind was going to be at our backs - well it was I guess but we were also going uphill for a chunk of it. I really wanted to push on to bring myself level with my Garmin pacer but I was flat out with tens of metres behind target. Could hear the announcer at the finish line and finally crossed in 72:07 - 7 sec outside target but as much as I could have expected. Was slightly woozy crossing the line and queuing for the goody bags but the banana & crisps helped. Met DocJewel, CM, Gavlor & Blockic then and walked back to the sports centre with CM & Blockic. Mighty feed but showers were cold by the time I got to them, so I ended up just changing into dry t-shirt and hitting the road.

All that aside, let's get to the data (me being a data geek). I'm calibrated in metric, so it's all km's for me. Therefore this was 16km (and a bit - I normally allow 1% extra distance when calculating my target pace 'cos I never follow the racing line. Neither do you, by the way;)) Calculated my target was 4:28/km.

Km splits were as follows:
    4.28, 4.16, 4.39, 4.40, 4.16, 4.26, 4.40, 4.28, 4.24, 4.24, 4.26, 4.27, 4.31, 4.34, 4.26, 4.20 and 0.41 for the last 170m.

You can see what that looks like on Garmin Connect here. Obviously the HR was well up there most of the way, so I was under pressure. Happy enough with the consistency of the times - average pace was 4:28/km. Was absolutely annihilated with tiredness at the end but sure what do you do?

Need to formulate my training plan for the Great Limerick Run - tis only something like 15 weeks away now, so it's time to jump onto something and make a half-decent fist of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Sorry but I won't be following this unless you do miles!! ;):D

I joke, of course! Best of luck with the log!:)

What time you thinking of for Limerick? Sub 3:30 on the cards surely?

blockic wrote: »
    What time you thinking of for Limerick? Sub 3:30 on the cards surely?

I'm not sure yet - and don't call me Shirley :D (Sorry - it's going to be one of those logs).

Was thinking 3:40 with 3:30 target for DCM. But 3x 10m would indicate 3:36 so I'm kinda between the two. If I were to achieve 3:38 it'd be 1:20 off my marathon time in less than 12 months, which (if you don't read the details) would be decent enough. I'll have to think about it but it'll be around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I'm not sure yet - and don't call me Shirley :D (Sorry - it's going to be one of those logs).

:rolleyes:...this should be interesting so!

Was thinking 3:40 with 3:30 target for DCM. But 3x 10m would indicate 3:36 so I'm kinda between the two. If I were to achieve 3:38 it'd be 1:20 off my marathon time in less than 12 months, which (if you don't read the details) would be decent enough. I'll have to think about it but it'll be around there.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough I suppose, see how training goes but I wouldnt go ruling out 3:30 for Limerick yet.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Brilliant a new log :D Best of luck D

Re Limk sub 3:30 No bother to you and company for me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Best of luck with the log fella.

Christ another one. I'm still holding out on starting a log.....where would I get the time with reading everyone else's:D.

I'm sure I'll get honorable mentions on the LSR front from time to time:).

Oh and I'm going to try to convert you to miles over time;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with the log, no way a man of your vintage should be using kilometres. Your to old!!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Kilometres! Excellent. Best of luck with the log and your goals. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

best of luck with the log but go on change it to miles.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I recommend switching to Nautical Miles :)

Good luck with the log!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Best of luck with the new log C! A sub 3:30 in Limerick will be no bother to you! I’m hoping for 3:30 in Cork and I’m waaaaaaaaay behind you in the speed stakes :o In the immortal words of Journey “don’t stop believin’, hold on to that feeeeelin’” Bet you’ll be singing that all day now…. My work here is done :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Arrived for this with close to an hour to spare. Parked near the sports centre, jogged down to check it out, back to the car to jettison the jacket (and make the difficult decision about how much or little to wear - settled on 2 t-shirts, shorts, hat, snood & gloves) and back down for a final pit stop.

Started meeting boardsies at this stage - The Rook was the first, followed by Blockic, DocJewel, Gavlor and the irrepressible Career_Move. Having the same target of 72min as CM, we started off together. By 2k I was starting to regret all the clothing - hat was off before 3k, closely followed by the gloves (which I thought I'd tucked together in a ball and then managed to mysteriously lose one - so I carried one frigging glove the whole way around:( They were a Christmas present from one of the kids too, so I'd hardly had a chance to use them). Congestion was pretty bad around this stage - 75min pace group were in front of us but we were running 72min pace.:confused: DocJewel was with us too around this time but we were starting to fall quite a bit behind schedule. Had to do some squeezing past but got back on target by the first water station.

By about 7 or 8k, I was overheating so much that I was feeling physically sick so the snood came off too. Somewhere between losing the gloves and the snood, I also lost contact with CM & DocJewel so I was on my own from then. Kept going and decided I was going to keep on keeping going - but by God it wasn't easy. Hail shower at around 10k ish and memories of the 2012 Wexford half came back. But it didn't last long thankfully. The mile markers were passing pretty quickly. Was waiting for the 8m marker from which (I'd been reliably informed) the wind was going to be at our backs - well it was I guess but we were also going uphill for a chunk of it. I really wanted to push on to bring myself level with my Garmin pacer but I was flat out with tens of metres behind target. Could hear the announcer at the finish line and finally crossed in 72:07 - 7 sec outside target but as much as I could have expected. Was slightly woozy crossing the line and queuing for the goody bags but the banana & crisps helped. Met DocJewel, CM, Gavlor & Blockic then and walked back to the sports centre with CM & Blockic. Mighty feed but showers were cold by the time I got to them, so I ended up just changing into dry t-shirt and hitting the road.

All that aside, let's get to the data (me being a data geek). I'm calibrated in metric, so it's all km's for me. Therefore this was 16km (and a bit - I normally allow 1% extra distance when calculating my target pace 'cos I never follow the racing line. Neither do you, by the way;)) Calculated my target was 4:28/km.

Km splits were as follows:
    4.28, 4.16, 4.39, 4.40, 4.16, 4.26, 4.40, 4.28, 4.24, 4.24, 4.26, 4.27, 4.31, 4.34, 4.26, 4.20 and 0.41 for the last 170m.

You can see what that looks like on Garmin Connect here. Obviously the HR was well up there most of the way, so I was under pressure. Happy enough with the consistency of the times - average pace was 4:28/km. Was absolutely annihilated with tiredness at the end but sure what do you do?

Need to formulate my training plan for the Great Limerick Run - tis only something like 15 weeks away now, so it's time to jump onto something and make a half-decent fist of it...

Were you in the Boards AC top for this race? If so, I may have found my arch nemesis!

I think I was behind you, CM and DocJewel for the first two miles, lost ye doing a death defying overtaking routine down the narrow country road (with the briar marks to show for it!), been overtaken by you several times over the next few miles before passing you on the way down the hill around mile 8(?) and just about staying clear thereafter.

Basically, without the wardrobe malfunctions you'd have probably won that particular duel!

Best of luck with the log and with the races to come. And stick with km. It's the modern way!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Best of Luck with the log Dilbert75.

It was good to meet you on Sunday & put a face on the voice of sensibility around the DCM2012 thread.

Sub 3:30 in a marathon is gonna be no bother to you.You looked quite fresh after your stroll around Dungarvan on Sunday.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Just a quick update - had a rest day yesterday and did 5k (that's just over 3m for anyone stuck in 1970) today, very slowly, accompanied by a pretty reluctant dog (she's both pretty and reluctant!). Took just over 35mins - the part where I reminded her that her dinner bowl was waiting at home was quicker.

Tomorrow's plan is to go to training with the local club and do their weekly session, followed by recovery on Thursday, run on Friday, cycle on Saturday and LSR on Sunday. Distances and paces are yet to be set.

Session done with club - will post the Garmin data later when I download it but it was just over 13k (8.5m) with a set of 10x strides and then 3x 1500m with 300m recovery in between. Total running time 1.08.

Data here - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/267840621.

My plan to do the Enniscorthy 10k on Sunday week has been scuppered by the combination of my son running in Ferns and my daughter having a gymnastics competition in Arklow on the same day. Backup plan to do Duncannon 10k two weeks later also scuppered - son has music competition that day. Looks like my next race will be the county novice road race in Enniscorthy on 17th - it's only 6k but sure it'll be an experience.

In other news, I seem to have cultivated my first black toenail of my running career. Mrs. D says I'm a proper runner now.:rolleyes:

EDIT: And I've just entered for Limerick - 2742 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

My plan to do the Enniscorthy 10k on Sunday week has been scuppered by the combination of my son running in Ferns and my daughter having a gymnastics competition in Arklow on the same day. Backup plan to do Duncannon 10k two weeks later also scuppered - son has music competition that day. Looks like my next race will be the county novice road race in Enniscorthy on 17th - it's only 6k but sure it'll be an experience.

In other news, I seem to have cultivated my first black toenail of my running career. Mrs. D says I'm a proper runner now.:rolleyes:

Damn kids getting in the way of running!

I see your black toenail and raise you my first toenail fell off this morning! Gross and fascinating at the same time :o:eek::o

I feel like such a proper runner now :D

Ah feck I was hoping you'd be there to keep me honest....next time.

upthe19th wrote: »
    Ah feck I was hoping you'd be there to keep me honest....next time.

Time to cut you loose, young man....:D Might give you a shout for an LSR on Sunday though, unless you're still in the wars.

A mere 8k snuck in tonight between Dad's taxi runs. Average 5:26/km, 133bpm. Back with the club tomorrow night, though for the easier session. Need to pad that out a bit - might run there and back as well - but have the night off from taxiing so a bit more time to play with.

Time to cut you loose, young man....:D Might give you a shout for an LSR on Sunday though, unless you're still in the wars.

A mere 8k snuck in tonight between Dad's taxi runs. Average 5:26/km, 133bpm. Back with the club tomorrow night, though for the easier session. Need to pad that out a bit - might run there and back as well - but have the night off from taxiing so a bit more time to play with.

I'm up and going again and feel good. Had a session of dry needling with a rub down and it worked a treat, with a couple of days rest.

Should be around, drop me a text when you know what the story is.

• Advertisement

Well I thought I was getting a break from taxi duty until I got a message from a friend to collect him from the train tonight. So I went out when I got home and did 15.15k (just under 9.5m in old money). Pace for each km was 5.07, 5.10, 5.03, 5.18, 5.26, 5.21, 5.21, 5.25, 5.26, 5.54, 5.45, 5.46, 5.43, 5.52, 5.58 and 6.02. Average HR was 133.

As you can see, I started to struggle quite a bit from the tenth km onwards - had to stop 3 or 4 times in total with stomach cramps. Hopefully it's not one of those awful gastro bugs that have been doing the rounds...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

- hat was off before 3k, closely followed by the gloves (which I thought I'd tucked together in a ball and then managed to mysteriously lose one - so I carried one frigging glove the whole way around.

I spotted an Adidas glove on the road around mile 5 or 6, but I ran sub 70 (;)) so, unless you ran a horrible positive split it prob wasn't yours.
    Anyway, you can do a Michael Jackson with your solo-glove each race now.

eliwallach wrote: »

I spotted an Adidas glove on the road around mile 5 or 6, but I ran sub 70 (;)) so, unless you ran a horrible positive split it prob wasn't yours.
    Anyway, you can do a Michael Jackson with your solo-glove each race now.

I saw that too and thought to myself "some poor sap is going to be going round with one cold hand". Karma, eh? Anyway mine was Nike.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Best of luck with the log. Will follow with interest.

Tough old LSR today. As with 2 weeks ago, I ran the 2k to Tesco to meet up with UpThe19th and we tackled a mixed 20k route, combining open roads, back roads, hills and flat. Target was 5.20/km (8.30/m). Again the company took the sting out of a lot of it. Was thinking going up the first big hill that it was lovely to have a tailwind - unfortunately we paid for that later, facing into increasingly strong gusts going up some long dragging hills. By the time we were getting back into town we were both running low on energy and it was starting to be a struggle. Even so, the 19.87k went at an average of 5.23/k, average HR 141. Total 24.05k (15m) in 2.09. Garmin data later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Tough old LSR today. As with 2 weeks ago, I ran the 2k to Tesco to meet up with UpThe19th and we tackled a mixed 20k route, combining open roads, back roads, hills and flat. Target was 5.20/km (8.30/m). Again the company took the sting out of a lot of it. Was thinking going up the first big hill that it was lovely to have a tailwind - unfortunately we paid for that later, facing into increasingly strong gusts going up some long dragging hills. By the time we were getting back into town we were both running low on energy and it was starting to be a struggle. Even so, the 19.87k went at an average of 5.23/k, average HR 141. Total 24.05k (15m) in 2.09. Garmin data later.
    Haha upthe19th is leading you astray????

Haha upthe19th is leading you astray????

Har har - I will not be moved. It's like 2 people talking in totally different languages - he says "that last mile was 8.25" and I'm there silently trying to figure out what that is in km. :)

Har har - I will not be moved. It's like 2 people talking in totally different languages - he says "that last mile was 8.25" and I'm there silently trying to figure out what that is in km. :)

When you say 5:xx pace, I immediately want to slow down. When I say 8:xx pace , you speed up. Funny the way the brain works.

We may need a common ground, "Furlongs" maybe:).

8k recovery run at a relatively sedate 5.45/km. Tough enough considering but glad it's done.

Dunno about where you are in the country but here in Wexford it's cold and we have gusts of strong wind (completely unconnected with my suspected tummy bug last week) with some sleet showers. Not exactly ideal exercising weather but I still met probably 8 or 10 people out walking / running in my 46 mins out. The OT effect?

• Advertisement

Sitting here with my P&D book trying to figure a plan for the next 13 weeks to Limerick. The outline so far is as follows:
    Monday - recovery run after LSR
    Tuesday - rest (other things on the calendar on Tuesday)
    Wednesday - session with club + extra if needed
    Thursday - Easy run
    Friday - Pace?
    Saturday - Cross
    Sunday - LSR

Just populating that for 12 weeks is proving to be fun...

Advertisement